Do I Brine a Boston Butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jclear

Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
Just joined the forum today, plan to smoke my first boston butt on Saturday (4/25/20).

I have been doing some research and reading some of the stickies on here. Great forum, great info.

My first smoke was a Turkey breast for the family on easter weekend; which I brined overnight and it turned out EXCELLENT.

I was wondering if most (or anyone) brine their pork butts prior to smoking. If so, what all would go into the brine?

I have read about slathering the butt with mustard and then applying a dry rub (also looking for dry rub recipes if anyone has one they'd like to share). Would this be in addition to brining, or is it an either / or situation with brining vs. dry rub?

I'm shooting for a carolina style pulled pork at the end of the day. Any info is much appreciated; thanks for everyone's time!

Not necessary to brine a butt. Not that you cant if you want. There is plenty of internal fat to keep the meat juicy for duration of cook. If you want to impart more flavor you can inject. I just rub heavy and put on smoker. Save your drippins and mix some in after you pull
I have also been reading up on using the drippins... I have been keeping a pan of water in the bottom of the smoker to use as a heat sink / to help keep it moist inside. Do I catch the drippings in the water pan or do I need a seperate pan which starts empty to catch the drippings?

X3 no need to brine due to fat content.
But you can put a lot of spices/flavor in via injection.
Be forewarned though, injecting can significantly increase cooking time.
12 hours of Low-n-Slow can turn into 16, 18 or even 20 hours.
Voice of experience.
Which can be somewhat mitigated by cooking Hot-n-Fast 275°-300°

Last edited:
Yep! What Jake said.

However, you can inject if you're looking to get more flavor down into the meat.

For a good rub Chef Jimmy has a good one too. It is mild, so if you want some extra heat just add in some Tony C's. This rub works on all pork and chicken too.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I have also been reading up on using the drippins... I have been keeping a pan of water in the bottom of the smoker to use as a heat sink / to help keep it moist inside. Do I catch the drippings in the water pan or do I need a seperate pan which starts empty to catch the drippings?
All depends on if you plan on wrapping the but anytime during the cook. If wrapping you will have all the foil juice you want. If leaving unwrapped you will need a pan other than the water pan

If you want North Carolina style Q...This Finishing Sauce is a MUST. As above, mixing in pan juices is good too. A Drip Pan under the meat will get it done. You didn't say what Smoker you are using. Water Pans are most effective when used to protect the meat from a hot fire and heat sink when you need to get fluctuating temps under control...

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.
Pull the Pork add back any Defatted Pan Juices and Finishing Sauce to taste. Serve the sauce along side as well.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Reactions: Jclear
Drippings are awesome for two reasons. First, the seasoned fat can be separated and saved for other uses like unique gravies, biscuits, etc. Second, the jus can be used immediately after the smoke by mixing back into the meat, adding additional flavor.

Best way to catch the drippings? I put a cooling or meat rack in a pan, then add the roast. You can skip the rack and just pan the butt. The bottom of the butt won't have bark, so put fat side down if you do the rack/pan or plain pan method.

If you put a pan on a level under the grate that holds the roast, the drippings can burn or get excessively smoky. It really depends on your smoker.

I want to try this method of putting a cooling rack in the pan as you described. I’m hesitant to put the butt directly in the pan because I’ve had so much liquid/droppings in my Kamado style smoker that isn’t the butt just going to cook in drippings for the first four hours before I foil?

Dry or wet brining works but thick cuts like butts require additional time. I'd say 5-7 days. Even then it will not work as well as injecting.

Buddy of mine got married in NC and rehearsal dinner was legit local BBQ guy. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj is SPOT ON with the sauce. I imagine the dipping sauce for the hush puppies was lexington dip. Honestly, the PP was average tasting to me but the hush puppies were INSANELY good. LOL wedding was in a dry County but we planned accordingly... Think Caddyshack. :emoji_laughing:

noboundaries noboundaries Actually the easiest to catch drippings is to inject with STPP... no drippings. Blew my mind first time I used it.

Also, I’m not gonna have airflow problems with the butt being in a pan as opposed to on the grate am I?

If you want North Carolina style Q...This Finishing Sauce is a MUST. As above, mixing in pan juices is good too. A Drip Pan under the meat will get it done. You didn't say what Smoker you are using. Water Pans are most effective when used to protect the meat from a hot fire and heat sink when you need to get fluctuating temps under control...

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.
Pull the Pork add back any Defatted Pan Juices and Finishing Sauce to taste. Serve the sauce along side as well.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ
I'm using an Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset. Thanks for the info and the finishing sauce recipe! I'm very excited to try this out. Will post a thread detailing the cook.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Welcome to SMF from Indiana! Looks like you've been given some very good advice. If interested, click on the link below in my signature for the Butt recipe which I always recommend to those just starting out. It originally came from Alton Brown which I've adjusted a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky