Couple pics of the new cold smoker !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Magic Meat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Charlton MA
Just slapped this baby together this afternoon ! I was tired of setting up my little smoke furnace tank remotely on the ground with the dryer duct all flopping around on the ground and fiddling around with a cheesey adaptor plate I made trying to hook it to the intake on my offset..
So here is a left over piece of epoxy finished 3/4 birch ply from a kitchen cabinet install, a pile of powder coated steel railing cutoffs, a old helium balloon tank and 18 feet of 4" dryer vent..
Cost me $20 bucks total, only had to buy the dryer duct !
Just did a small test fire with 6 kingsfords and a few small scraps of hickory and boy am I happy with the results, smoked over a hour, good draw, sweet clean smoke and most important it held absolutely ambient temp, not even 1 degree over !!
Still have to outfit the hanging rods and racks, touch up all the paint on the frame, add wheels, and shoot the tank with some grill paint.
Needless to say I am going to find it hard to sleep tonight knowing there isn't anything smoking in it.
Stay tuned !!
20200628_213518.jpg
20200628_211245.jpg
20200628_220123.jpg
20200628_211159.jpg
20200628_211309.jpg

Looks like you've got yourself a real nice cold smoker, in a nice compact design.
Gary
Thanks, I am glad I finally built myself a dedicated cold smoker that doesn't eat up too much space in the garage. I am still breaking it in, getting a good coat of smoke on the inside and running it through it's paces, learning what it likes for fuel and wood etc, before I put anything of value in it. So far it has been really impressive though. The box is pretty good size at 24"x24"x36" tall, I just installed 3 hanging bars up top, I think it should be able to fit about 9 or so 4-5 lb slabs of bacon, I am still waiting for 2 wire racks to be delivered for cheeses and the like.. I am still blown away by the fact that by time the smoke goes through the 18ft of pipe it is ambient temp, which is great !
I will be posting some smokes on it though in the future. Thanks for your kind response !
Dana

Just slapped this baby together this afternoon ! I was tired of setting up my little smoke furnace tank remotely on the ground with the dryer duct all flopping around on the ground and fiddling around with a cheesey adaptor plate I made trying to hook it to the intake on my offset..
So here is a left over piece of epoxy finished 3/4 birch ply from a kitchen cabinet install, a pile of powder coated steel railing cutoffs, a old helium balloon tank and 18 feet of 4" dryer vent..
Just did a small test fire with 6 kingsfords and a few small scraps of hickory and boy am I happy with the results, smoked over a hour, good draw, sweet clean smoke and most important it held absolutely ambient temp, not even 1 degree over !!
Still have to outfit the hanging rods and racks, touch up all the paint on the frame, add wheels, and shoot the tank with some grill paint.
Needless to say I am going to find it hard to sleep tonight knowing there isn't anything smoking in it.
Stay tuned !!
View attachment 451575View attachment 451576View attachment 451577View attachment 451578View attachment 451579
Looks like you're gonna have a big paty after this pandemic ends. Nice design BTW.Lat time i tried to make somthing like this, I burnt down the whole garage. Never trying again.

Needless to say I am going to find it hard to sleep tonight knowing roadrunner email login there isn't anything smoking in it.
Stay tuned !!
View attachment 451575View attachment 451576View attachment 451577View attachment 451578View attachment 451579
Just out of the curiosity, is this your first time building this beast? Or have you tried on something else before??

Just out of the curiosity, is this your first time building this beast? Or have you tried on something else before??
No,first time, I had the tank firebox already built, it had legs like a tripod and I would just set it on the ground and used to just attach a straight 6 ft piece of the aluminum duct to the side of my offset smoker intake.
That got old, my dog kept knocking the pipe off, kids tripping over it, and I couldn't use my offset smoker if I was cold smoking something.
So I just built it from stuff I had laying around, I am a builder so I have tons of misc building materials.
It is awesome having a dedicated cold smoker, this design I came up with works very well.

I have since put 4 - 5" nylon mower deck wheels on it, painted the outside of the firebox with grill paint just so it looks clean. I added 2 full size adjustable height removable steel racks in it and added a indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor probe mounted inside so I can keep a sharp eye on the temp differential.
It typically runs about 2 to 5 deg warmer then whatever the ambient temp outside is.
If I crank it up as hot as it will go I can get the inside of it to about 100 f. Max
But I built it for cold as possible, I like cold smoking cheese, nuts, chocolate, oysters, salmon etc. As cool as possible.
Fall is on it's way in MA so I can't wait to try it out when it's cooler outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky