Colombian Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
By the way...Did you like the outcome?
Very delicious upscale specialty sausage. Anyone who follows the recipe will be rewarded with some real special sausage. I have a good recipe for some Chourico (Portuguese chorizo) that I’ll share with you if interested.

That looks killer. 2 guys did this in the last season of celebrate sausage and I was thinking about doing it. Looks like it's going on the short list.
Sooner rather than later so you don’t miss this one for sure.

That looks killer. 2 guys did this in the last season of celebrate sausage and I was thinking about doing it. Looks like it's going on the short list.
I saw his recipe and I learned about him here; His job is very special and educational. From a very regional point of view, I think he used too much/too roughly cut green onion. Aside from that, his approach was correct.
Another important aspect is the use of cure, binding and smoking...which are unknown to the average amateur chorizo maker in Colombia. To most people here, smoking is all about letting any kind of smoke touch the chorizo, usually outdoors. It was a surprise to me when I learned that, besides the smoke, I had to reach and maintain a certain range of temperature.😅

I am probably crazy for wanting to do this for my first sausage but what the worst than can happen? I trying to put the recipe together for 1 Kgs. This is what I got. Not sure got the Sodium Erythorbate amount right? Said 1 tsp for 10 lbs. Be using pork butt. I have extra fat in freezer or a little pork belly if needed. Will do my best to try to get 70/30. Are those white pieces in sausage un-ground fat? OK went back and read again. Looks like about half the meat is minced instead of ground.

1714133822912.png

Reactions: I-am-Chorizo
I am probably crazy for wanting to do this for my first sausage but what the worst than can happen? I trying to put the recipe together for 1 Kgs. This is what I got. Not sure got the Sodium Erythorbate amount right? Said 1 tsp for 10 lbs. Be using pork butt. I have extra fat in freezer or a little pork belly if needed. Will do my best to try to get 70/30. Are those white pieces in sausage un-ground fat? OK went back and read again. Looks like about half the meat is minced instead of ground.

View attachment 695379
Hello There!

Yes...the white pieces are tiny Chunks of minced fat. I minced 50% (lean & fat) but it is all a matter of preference. I'd suggest You go for it...I am starting a 10kg batch today😱. We can have fun and share experiences. I am a bit nervous cuz the biggest I had worked with is 4kg.

View attachment 695379
That recipe will work just fine. I just ground all the meat course through the 3/8” plate (10mm) The fat content isn’t super important either just keep it between 80/20 and 70/30. Let me know if you have any snags.

Hello There!

Yes...the white pieces are tiny Chunks of minced fat. I minced 50% (lean & fat) but it is all a matter of preference. I'd suggest You go for it...I am starting a 10kg batch today😱. We can have fun and share experiences. I am a bit nervous cuz the biggest I had worked with is 4kg.
Wow, that’s ambitious for sure, but sounds fun. Be sure to post up some pictures if you have time.

Wow, that’s ambitious for sure, but sounds fun. Be sure to post up some pictures if you have time.
I was going to ask you for advice. Here is what happened:

I took a few chorizos of my last batch and shared at work with some colleagues. Most of them suggested I should make a batch and sell it. In the middle of my sausage making fever I accepted and believed it was going to be a matter of 50 chorizos. To make a long story short, The order reached 124 chorizos.

I am starting today...a bit panicked though!... Any advice and support is very...extremely...welcome :emoji_grin:

Reactions: nlife

I took a few chorizos of my last batch and shared at work with some colleagues. Most of them suggested I should make a batch and sell it. In the middle of my sausage making fever I accepted and believed it was going to be a matter of 50 chorizos. To make a long story short, The order reached 124 chorizos.

I am starting today...a bit panicked though!... Any advice and support is very...extremely...welcome :emoji_grin:
All depends on how much time you have, how much space you have, what type of equipment, how much help you have, and so forth. I would break it into steps and different days. If you are hand mincing part of it that is a fair amount of knife work, so maybe grind/mince one day, mix spices another day and stuff the following day. Or break it all up another way but take it one step at a time so you can stay focused. There is only one way to eat a whale and that is one bite at a time. Lol

10kg is definitely ambitious. I've found 10 LBS to be my upper limit for sausages since I lack the space to smoke larger batches. I tend to do this over 2 days as well. Day 1: Grind, mix spices, rest in fridge overnight. Day 2: Protein extraction, stuff, rest, smoke. Let cool, vacuum pack and store.

Good luck on the order. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: I-am-Chorizo
All depends on how much time you have, how much space you have, what type of equipment, how much help you have, and so forth. I would break it into steps and different days. If you are hand mincing part of it that is a fair amount of knife work, so maybe grind/mince one day, mix spices another day and stuff the following day. Or break it all up another way but take it one step at a time so you can stay focused. There is only one way to eat a whale and that is one bite at a time. Lol
This is what I had planning (and we are currently executing). Here it is 15:37.

1. Yesterday I bought the meat
  2. Right now, while I am at the office, mi wife is at home cutting and grinding.
  3. I plan to arrive home, season, stuff in natural casings and let the chorizos hang in the fridge (15-16 C°) until tomorrow evening (24 hrs)
  4. Smoking tomorrow. Two batches of about 60 pieces each
  5. Cold shower inmediately after smoking
  6. Three hours blooming
How does it sound?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
10kg is definitely ambitious. I've found 10 LBS to be my upper limit for sausages since I lack the space to smoke larger batches. I tend to do this over 2 days as well. Day 1: Grind, mix spices, rest in fridge overnight. Day 2: Protein extraction, stuff, rest, smoke. Let cool, vacuum pack and store.

Good luck on the order. Let us know how it goes.
Really thinking about that protein extraction...What would be the best way? massaging all the mix or doing it in smaller batches? we have 4 hands available for the task.

This is what I had planning (and we are currently executing). Here it is 15:37.

1. Yesterday I bought the meat
  2. Right now, while I am at the office, mi wife is at home cutting and grinding.
  3. I plan to arrive home, season, stuff in natural casings and let the chorizos hang in the fridge (15-16 C°) until tomorrow evening (24 hrs)
  4. Smoking tomorrow. Two batches of about 60 pieces each
  5. Cold shower inmediately after smoking
  6. Three hours blooming
How does it sound?
That is a bold plan and a very good one.

For mixing large batches, we have done up to 150 pounds or roughly 70Kg at a time. There are 4 of us and we just spread the ground meat out on a long table down the middle. Add the salt and cure #1 (as even as possible) and we all take a section and mix for protein extraction, this is where you start to se long strands in the meat and a small handful turned upside down will not fall from your hand because it’s sticky (do this before adding spices and fresh herbs) Then we add spices and herbs and mix to incorporate. Really not that bad of a job with enough people working.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky