Chorizo con Papas Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
The other day Sowsage Sowsage made some ABT tacos with leftover Chorizo. Well that put me in the mood for them so I ended up making Chorizo with Potato Tacos. This recipe is very straight forward. I used the Rick Bayless recipe for inspiration when making them, especially by par boiling the potatoes in the microwave. That made life so much easier.

Started by making the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. Here's all the ingredients. NOTE: I only used 4 Serrano peppers, I just threw them all on the pan because that's how many I bought.
IMG_5258.jpg

Place the sheet under a broiler and cook until slightly charred, turning often.
IMG_5259.jpg

Skins were removed from the peppers and garlic. After that, everything including the juices on the pan were placed in a blender with a pinch of salt and a handful of cilantro.
IMG_5260.jpg

Corn masa is all mixed up. I only made enough for 6 tortillas since I was flying solo here.
IMG_5261.jpg

After the tortillas were cooked and placed between two foil lined plates to finish steaming and keep warm, I started the Chorizo. 1lb of loose Chorizo was cooked with 1/2 a white onion. I added ancho powder, smoked paprika, oregano and a little bit of salt. While I started that, the potatoes were cubed and placed in a microwave to steam for 4 minutes. Potatoes were then drained and added to the taco filling.

Here's everything cooked.
IMG_5265.jpg

Tacos were assembled and topped with tomatillo salsa, crumbled queso fresco and cilantro.

The 3 step process so everything is shown.
IMG_5266.jpg

All finished and ready to eat!
IMG_5270.jpg
IMG_5271.jpg

These turned out delicious and were a pretty simple meal to make. Thanks for looking.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe, I'm drooling over here! Salsa looks amazing! Ive never done the chorizo with potato but I may have to give that a try sometime! Very nice tacos indeed! BIG LIKE!

Wow Joe! That is fantastic looking. I've never made salsa with Tomatillos before. Or even ate one by itself.

That def checked all the boxes. Great job.

Joe WOW, I mean damn that all looks amazing. Love the homemade roasted salsa verde. The tacos are just money!! Big like!

What a fantastic piece of work Joe, a great step-by-step narrative that maybe even someone as limited as I may be able to follow, Thanks for posting Joe, this looks far too good to pass on, gonna do it! Huge Like! RAY

Joe, I'm drooling over here! Salsa looks amazing! Ive never done the chorizo with potato but I may have to give that a try sometime! Very nice tacos indeed! BIG LIKE!
Wow Joe! That is fantastic looking. I've never made salsa with Tomatillos before. Or even ate one by itself.
Joe WOW, I mean damn that all looks amazing. Love the homemade roasted salsa verde. The tacos are just money!! Big like!
Awesome joe. The Verde salsa caught me for sure. Delicious looking meal my friend

Thanks for the kind words guys. I forgot to mention adding cilantro to the salsa. I just tore off the tops of the bunch you get at the store.

Reactions: Sowsage
What a fantastic piece of work Joe, a great step-by-step narrative that maybe even someone as limited as I may be able to follow, Thanks for posting Joe, this looks far too good to pass on, gonna do it! Huge Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! If I can do it anyone can. The salsa really makes this because it’s very tangy and acidic from the tomatillos, it cuts through the heaviness of the chorizo and potatoes.

That looks more complicated than you are giving yourself credit for. But they DEFINITELY look delicious!

Thank you kindly bert! I tend to go the extra mile with making them.

After the flash of homemade tortillas and salsa, it’s really just browning Chorizo in the pan and adding potatoes to soak up that flavor. If this were a weekday dish, I’d have no problem using store bought salsa verde and corn tortillas.

Looks great . The home made corn tortillas puts it over the top . Love the roasted veg / steam and peel the skin on the peppers . Only way to go if you have the time .
Nice work .

Taco perfection! man those look great! and scratch tortillas and tomatillo salsa! over the top!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky