Chicken Cracklins - Who knew? And why didn't you tell us?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I like salty snacks, have for decades, but have gotten tired of chips, crackers, nuts, etc. No high blood pressure problems to worry about. Weight? Need to lose plenty, so was looking for something new that doesn't pack on the carbs or spike my blood sugar.

Jerky is great, but time consuming to make. Chicken and pork jerky is cheap to make but still takes time and planning. Pork rinds? Meh. And then I see a YouTube video on crispy baked chicken skin, aka chicken cracklins. Wow. I'm hooked.

I buy cheap bone-in, skin-on chicken or chicken parts in the bulk packs. I usually bone and skin them myself, using both to make broth. No longer. Now the skin gets spread on a rack, seasoned, and baked at 400°F until crispy about 30 minutes, give or take. They shrink like 75%. The fat gets rendered out leaving crunchy goodness.

I searched and did not find another thread about chicken skin cracklins. Forgive me for not having better pics, but this is all still an experiment for me...AND I LOVE IT!

Half-sheet pan and rack used for ten chicken thigh skins (spray both sides of the rack with oil for easier cleaning).
20230420_153922.jpg

The last cracklin' I made today before I thought to take a pic.
20230420_152412.jpg

Every chicken or chicken part I buy in the future will be skinned for cracklins.

Happy Crunchin'!

Ray

Looks yummy Ray!
We usually use a cajun seasoning on ours, but for some reason, somehow, they don't seem to make it past day two !!!???

Don

Reactions: noboundaries
Looks yummy Ray!
We usually use a cajun seasoning on ours, but for some reason, somehow, they don't seem to make it past day two !!!???

Don
Day two? Don, those ten didn't make it past hour two!

I was going to use Cajun seasoning but wanted to see if my wife had any interest. She doesn't like cajun and doesn't care for the cracklins. They're all mine. Cajun seasoning is next.

That looks and sounds #%$## great !!
That looks fantastic, Ray! You can bet I will be trying that. Thanks for sharing.
Sooooo easy. Enjoy!

• Haha
Reactions: drdon
I messed these up when I tried to make them. Going to try again. There are even a couple companies that sell them in snack packs. I’d gobble up a big bowl.

I messed these up when I tried to make them. Going to try again.
Ruh oh! Gotta spread them thin. I overcooked the ones I did yesterday. Today was better. And go easy on the seasoning. When they shrink, the seasoning gets concentrated.

There are even a couple companies that sell them in snack packs. I’d gobble up a big bowl.
I've never seen them anywhere. I'll keep my eyes open.

What little boy doesn’t love chicken skin? I can’t think of one. Those are fantastic,
Awwwww shucks. Been a long time since ANYONE called ME a little boy!:emoji_laughing:
I think little girls do, too! At least this one did! And this snack looks yummmmmy!
Thanks, all.

Those look so tasty! It’s been a long time since I’ve had them, a bar I used to go to in Iowa City would make them fried, they are awesome! Have never thought to make them. Great idea!

Those look so tasty! It’s been a long time since I’ve had them, a bar I used to go to in Iowa City would make them fried, they are awesome! Have never thought to make them. Great idea!
Thanks, Jed. I only fry outdoors, which would be perfect for volume, and quicker.

MMMM......Now that is an interesting snack! May have to try it out!

Jim
Awesome new idea for me and looks worth trying.

Warren
Avoid a rub with sugar in it or they taste burnt. Also, a golden brown is what you want. Once they get a little darker, they get a burnt taste like dark toast does.

Chick N' Skin makes and sells them fried. Several flavors available, but as far as I can tell, online orders only and a little pricey...
View attachment 663394
Charles, I'm gonna see if that's available in my area. Thanks for the rec.

Ray

For sure if you are not careful sugar will burn.
Here is a little laugh for you. We were having a little tail gate challenge with fried turkey' I got the bright idea to marinade mine in apple cider. I don't think I could of had a turkey turn any blacker but it did have a fantastic flavor and very moist.

Warren

Looking good, glad to hear you finally discovered chicken cracklins.

Luv me some crackling of any kind.
One of my favorites is turkey, made from all the soft skin nobody wants.
I fry it with Cajun rub for seasoning.

They've been selling bagged chicken crackling in various brands and flavors in certain convenience stores down here for years.
Not common, but not rare either.

Looking good, glad to hear you finally discovered chicken cracklins.

Luv me some crackling of any kind.
One of my favorites is turkey, made from all the soft skin nobody wants.
I fry it with Cajun rub for seasoning.

They've been selling bagged chicken crackling in various brands and flavors in certain convenience stores down here for years.
Not common, but not rare either.
Ah HA! Another guilty party keeping cracklins secret. Omni bromni duvey...you too are forgiven, John.

Actually, when we lived in TN decades ago, I'd heard of cracklins, but no one I knew ate them. And I only heard of pork, not chicken. I may have tried them, but have no memory of doing so.

When I think back on all the poultry skin I discarded because we had a freezer full of broth, man, what a waste. That's absolutely changed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky