Canning Problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbraas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Last year we canned some strawberry jam that turned out pretty good. Good enough to do a double batch this year (only 16 jars, nothing overly crazy quantity wise).
I followed the recipe as last year, added liquid pectin, canned (not a pressure canner) and let sit over night. The lids were popping and sealing.
This morning I checked them out, none had gelled. At all. I don't know if I had bad pectin or what.
Two questions I guess -
Any thoughts from you experienced canners what may have happened (I'm suspicious of the pectin)?
Do you think I could empty the contents into a pot, re-boil, add new pectin and re-can?
I hate to dump all those strawberries down the drain.

Haven't had much luck in rerunning batches myself. I also found that doubling doesn't always work. If I think something is good enough to make a double of then I'll just make separate batches. There's instructions on the pectin pkg that you can follow for rerunning jelly/jam. Try using the powder this time -- a little more potent.

jbraas
I agree with SuCasa, I never double batches, instead I make more single batches. Doubling up batches just doesn't seem to work for me. Possibly save what you have made for ice cream or pancake topping?

I haven't had good luck with the liquid pectin either. So I stopped using it but I agree with Tatonka and use it for ice cream topping / pancake topping if your not going to try and rerun the batch.

I did some strawberry jam and it came out like that two years ago, I just pulled it out of the pantry last week and it is all jelled. Go figure.

My wife swears that if you do a double batch together you are guaranteed to fail. If she is going to do 4 batches she always does them individually. She also swears by Sure-Jell. It's all she will use.

Oops, sorry. When I said I doubled the batch, I really only meant quantity wise. I did two separate batches, not one larger one...

On jar already did make a nice ice cream topping this weekend. I may try to re-boil with some added pectin. I don't think I will really need that much ice cream topping/syrup.

Thanks for the feedback all.

You may not need that much ice cream topping or syrup -- but you can always use them as gifts. I've found -- esp. when making my jalapeno jam -- that I have to use 1 1/2 to 2 packs of the liquid pectin instead of the 1 that it calls for. I like the little softer set that you get with the liquid. Some jellies I just want a slight softer set -- some I want firmer. You can always test a jar to see if it will reset. There's instructions on the package. If that jar won't reset then odds are the rest won't. Just think of who would like a nice gift -- bdays, christmas, whatever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky