Got back into pressure canning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I didn't think the nit-pickers would attack the process... It's good to know you are still checking others... Although, it seems the picking is done to a select few posters... I'm glad to be on the list...
Hi Dave! I have nothing to add to this conversation... I'm a newbie when it comes to canning. But long time no see... or hear from you... good to see you back!

Ryan

Reactions: daveomak
Approved ??? What needs to be approved???

Bill, you don't seem to be the type of guy that believes in and follows everything the government tells you to do... If I'm wrong, I apologize...
I would add cure#1 at less than 156 Ppm to the weight of the fish...
You crack me up! I have some salmon I wanted to try to pressure can. I never did it before, with or without cure...

Thirdeye, evening... From what I've read... When caning stuff, the stuff along with the water takes time to penetrate to the center of the jar... Explains the difference in canning time from pints to quarts... So, there could be a lapse in temperature getting to 240-250F in the fish near the center of the jar... If 1-10 spores are left alive, that could be real bad...
You are correct, and I think density is the main reason that times for pints of canned fish (100 minutes), or smoked and canned fish (110 minutes) are longer than the standard 75 minutes for pints of meat and poultry. Even large chunks of fish really bind together during processing. And some people use smaller pieces to get more into each jar.

Another change when processing applies to smoked fish. Most people either use a dry cure or a strong brine cure prior to smoking because it improves texture (firmer), and this can make it even harder for the jar to come up to temp. The change is to use more water in the canner, and it starts off at room temperature. So now the water takes longer to get up to temp, but this helps the fish come up to temp as well.

One thing I do that is a safety net of sorts, is to use 1/2 pint jars which process at the same time as pint jars.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky