Johnny Trigg style ribs on the RT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
So I was looking at the RT website the other day & found a Johnny Trigg rib recipe video.
WFF had a sale a month or so ago & had STL’s for $1.98 lb. So I bought a few. Pulled one out of the freezer Sunday AM, and defrosted it in water. Here is how it started!
IMG_1618.jpeg

I had a lot of trimming to do. Used Parkay spray for a binder, then a heavy dose of CBP, & finally Killer Hogs rub.
IMG_1619.jpeg

Made a pan of beans & into the RT for 2 1/2 hours at 275, I went a bit longer to get to an IT of 165.
IMG_1624.jpeg

I don’t normally use a smoke tube, but since this recipe said to smoke at 275. I knew I had to add a bit of smoke.
IMG_1622.jpeg

Once again I went with the recipe & put all this in the foil.
IMG_1626.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

Here is the ribs at 165 ready for the foil.
IMG_1630.jpeg

Meat down in the foil.
IMG_1631.jpeg

Now this is where it gets crazy. The recipe calls for putting the same amount on the bone side, so I did.
IMG_1632.jpeg

Wrapped up tight & back in the smoker.
IMG_1633.jpeg

Out of the foil after about 1 1/2 hours still at 275.
IMG_1635.jpeg

Here is the foiling juice.
IMG_1636.jpeg

So the ribs go back on the smoker for about 45 minutes at 250.
IMG_1637.jpeg

In the meantime I boiled down the foiling sauce to use as a glaze on the ribs.
IMG_1638.jpeg

Next step glaze!
IMG_1639.jpeg

IMG_1641.jpeg

All done & sliced.
IMG_1642.jpeg

The ribs were just oozing juice.
IMG_1647.jpeg
IMG_1644.jpeg

I also have to say I have never seen such meaty spares, a couple of the end bones look like beef ribs.
IMG_1653.jpeg

Anyhow we ended up with 4 big ribs, so I vac packed them & we will enjoy a nice snack at a later date.
IMG_1654.jpeg

So, did I like the JT ribs?
Yes Judy & I both liked them, & I think our guests would as well.
Neither of us are really fans of sweet ribs, but these were sweet, with some heat.
I didn’t like putting all that stuff in the foil, but I have to say it worked.
Maybe next time I will try a modified version, but Judy & I both agree that the ribs I have been cooking on the RT at 180 are better than the 275 version & at 180 I don’t need to mess with a smoke tube, but however the cook takes about twice as long.
Thanks for stopping by!
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 16
This is the first method I learned. It is my go to on spares and baby backs. Great looking ribs.

Fred

Reactions: SmokinAl
I love this real world review Al.

Looking at the recipe, I would tend to agree there is a lot of sugar there.

Thanks for sharing

I took JT class a few years ago. That’s close to what he taught back then except the rubs and sauce isn’t what he used (at least at that time).
Looks good though. I always thought his ribs were too sweet as well but as he says your cooking for that one bite.

Looks good Al! Think the only thing that wasn't added was the kitchen sink lol!

Ryan

Man oh man, what a fantastic looking rack of ribs Al. The visual is off the charts. I'm with you on not being a huge fan of sweet ribs but got a bottle of Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce in the last Xmas exchange and it works really well on ribs. We both really like it, primarily because by most people's standards, it's not really "sweet". A hint, yes but not cloyingly sweet.

Robert

Good looking ribs, I'm with you not a big sweet rib fan and saw all that went into the foil turned me off a little but the end product looks fantastic

This is the first method I learned. It is my go to on spares and baby backs. Great looking ribs.

Fred

Great looking ribs Al! Thank you for the honest reviews too!

Looks mighty good. And another route to take to some great ribs.

Jim

Thanks fellas!
Al

Awesome looking ribs Al although it's hard to pull away from the old favorites.

Warren

Thanks Warren!
Al

Good looking ribs and write up. I love that Tiger sauce. How did you vac the ribs with all that sauce?

I just started the vacuum & when the sauce was just about to hit the seal bar, I hit the seal button. So it isn’t a real tight vacuum, but I’m sure it would freeze well, then just drop in simmering water to warm back up!
Al

Looks great,Al! I usually just let mine roll unwrapped but might give this a whirl next time (with a bit less sweet though…)

I love this real world review Al.

Looking at the recipe, I would tend to agree there is a lot of sugar there.

Thanks for sharing

I took JT class a few years ago. That’s close to what he taught back then except the rubs and sauce isn’t what he used (at least at that time).
Looks good though. I always thought his ribs were too sweet as well but as he says your cooking for that one bite.

Thanks a lot guys!
Al

Great looking and juicy ribs!

Is the knife on the cutting board from Sam's Club?

Thanks Eddie!
Yes the knife is from Sam’s, I have some real expensive knives, but I just like the feel of all the Sam’s Club knives.
Al

Those ribs look really good Al. Just another way in the tool box.

Looks good Al! Think the only thing that wasn't added was the kitchen sink lol!

Ryan

Thanks Guys, and you’re right Ryan. I had a hard time putting all that stuff on the ribs, but I will say that I will continue to use the Tiger sauce for a lot of things. We really liked the flavor.
Al

Looks great Al . Always fun to try different ways .
Those are some nice meaty spares .

Thanks Rich!
I have never seen spares that meaty, and at $1.98 lb. I did do a bunch of trimming though.
Al

Man oh man, what a fantastic looking rack of ribs Al. The visual is off the charts. I'm with you on not being a huge fan of sweet ribs but got a bottle of Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce in the last Xmas exchange and it works really well on ribs. We both really like it, primarily because by most people's standards, it's not really "sweet". A hint, yes but not cloyingly sweet.

Robert

Thanks a lot Robert!
They kind of grow on you, I don’t think I would go that sweet the next time. I thought it was crazy to put all that stuff on the bone side too. Might have been better if I left the bone side bare.
Al

Good looking ribs, I'm with you not a big sweet rib fan and saw all that went into the foil turned me off a little but the end product looks fantastic

Thank you Sir!
Honestly I couldn’t believe I put all that in there, but wanted to go by the recipe at least one time.
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky