Brined and Smoked Whole Chicken and Loaded Potato cups

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Brined and Smoked Whole Chicken And Loaded Potato cups

Yes we love the chicken brined and then smoked. ( with chopsaw chopsaw Rich's brine ) have used his a few times now, and love it

Had it soak for almost 15 hours , got it in the bucket later than I wanted. Out and dried off, rubbed up with my rub that is salt less
And onto its little stand and off to the smoker . Set at 335 deg. with Mesquite and cherry chunks

DSC_8145.JPG DSC_8147.JPG DSC_8148.JPG

It looks cold so into the smoker, lol. While that is getting warmed up , boil off some potatoes and fry up some bacon, onions , peppers and celery
to go into the mashed spuds

DSC_8149.JPG
DSC_8150.JPG DSC_8152.JPG

Let the potatoes cool down completely then add all the fixens, in another bowl add 2 eggs , 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 6 tablespoons of flour, mix that and into the potato mix. I also added a cup of mixed mozza and cheddar that we grate ourselves and bag and freeze for later use.

Do not mix or stir too much as it will turn into like a glue and just will not feel right when eating. Just a nice mix so all incorporated well.
Checked on the bird at the 1 hour mark, temp at 134 and climbing.

DSC_8153.JPG DSC_8154.JPG

DSC_8155.JPG DSC_8156.JPG

These are my popover tins , so I buttered them up well and filled the cups little over the top. Into the oven at 350 for 1 hour
Had a little extra so fill up 3 little pie plates
Pull out when crunchy on top and add some more cheese, broil for 5- 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them, broiling means burning, lol

Last time I smoked a whole bird I did not tie him up and the jokes were funny from a lot of you , saying I should have had a top hat on it and it looked like it was doing the hokey pokey. So I strapped him down this time, lol

So bird is done at 172 deg. and the colour is perfect if I must say so myself, self the bird looks great , lol sorry its late and and I should be off to bed soon .

DSC_8157.JPG
DSC_8158.JPG
DSC_8159 - Copy.JPG

Wrapped up the chicken for maybe 15 minutes while the rest gets going . When ready I cut up so the savages could pick their pieces nicely.

DSC_8160.JPG

Potatoes are out also and already cheesed up under the broiler, they were almost an inch taller in the oven, but they settle down when they come out.
Let them rest for a bit so they do not keep sinking or sag. I pulled one out and it had to rest maybe 8 -10 more minutes

Made a nice gravy and added the juice from the drip pan under the bird also.

DSC_8161.JPG DSC_8162.JPG

DSC_8163.JPG

Ok time for my plate as there is room at the counter for me now.

DSC_8167.JPG

2 shots for the close up crowd, Robert, Chris Jeff, and others
tx smoker tx smoker , gmc2003 gmc2003 , jcam222 jcam222 :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

And a little gravy shot for Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle

DSC_8166.JPG

This is how the potatoes should stand up, very soft and moist and lots of cheese inside

DSC_8168.JPG
DSC_8169.JPG

Well I hope no one fell asleep while reading my long winded post , but there you have it

The chicken is always perfect done in the brine I got from Rich chopsaw chopsaw , and the potatoes are always fun to do and eat

Thanks for reading

David

Man what a spread! You had me at gravy!

Thanks civil for the love and the comment

It was a great moist chicken, really like doing them this way most of the time.
And of coarse an other twist on the potato, and the gravy lots of good flavours with the ground summer savory and oregano

David

Last edited:
Reactions: civilsmoker
I think that meal may be carousel worthy, David. Looks great and I'll bet tasted even better!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Gotta love that close-up shot, and boy oh boy does that chicken look moist and delicious David.

Point for sure
Chris

Well David, there's absolutely nothing about any of that not to love. The bird looks spectacular and those taters...what can I say? Simply amazing....but you have a way with taters that's just over the top!! Very well done my friend.

Robert

Brined and Smoked Whole Chicken And Loaded Potato cups

Yes we love the chicken brined and then smoked. ( with chopsaw chopsaw Rich's brine ) have used his a few times now, and love it

Had it soak for almost 15 hours , got it in the bucket later than I wanted. Out and dried off, rubbed up with my rub that is salt less
And onto its little stand and off to the smoker . Set at 335 deg. with Mesquite and cherry chunks

View attachment 674133 View attachment 674134 View attachment 674135

It looks cold so into the smoker, lol. While that is getting warmed up , boil off some potatoes and fry up some bacon, onions , peppers and celery
to go into the mashed spuds

View attachment 674136
View attachment 674137 View attachment 674138

Let the potatoes cool down completely then add all the fixens, in another bowl add 2 eggs , 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 6 tablespoons of flour, mix that and into the potato mix. I also added a cup of mixed mozza and cheddar that we grate ourselves and bag and freeze for later use.

Do not mix or stir too much as it will turn into like a glue and just will not feel right when eating. Just a nice mix so all incorporated well.
Checked on the bird at the 1 hour mark, temp at 134 and climbing.

View attachment 674139 View attachment 674140

View attachment 674141 View attachment 674142

These are my popover tins , so I buttered them up well and filled the cups little over the top. Into the oven at 350 for 1 hour
Had a little extra so fill up 3 little pie plates
Pull out when crunchy on top and add some more cheese, broil for 5- 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them, broiling means burning, lol

Last time I smoked a whole bird I did not tie him up and the jokes were funny from a lot of you , saying I should have had a top hat on it and it looked like it was doing the hokey pokey. So I strapped him down this time, lol

So bird is done at 172 deg. and the colour is perfect if I must say so myself, self the bird looks great , lol sorry its late and and I should be off to bed soon .

View attachment 674143
View attachment 674144 View attachment 674154

Wrapped up the chicken for maybe 15 minutes while the rest gets going . When ready I cut up so the savages could pick their pieces nicely.

View attachment 674146

Potatoes are out also and already cheesed up under the broiler, they were almost an inch taller in the oven, but they settle down when they come out.
Let them rest for a bit so they do not keep sinking or sag. I pulled one out and it had to rest maybe 8 -10 more minutes

Made a nice gravy and added the juice from the drip pan under the bird also.

View attachment 674147 View attachment 674148

View attachment 674149

Ok time for my plate as there is room at the counter for me now.

View attachment 674151

2 shots for the close up crowd, Robert, Chris Jeff, and others
tx smoker tx smoker , gmc2003 gmc2003 , jcam222 jcam222 :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

And a little gravy shot for Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle

View attachment 674157

This is how the potatoes should stand up, very soft and moist and lots of cheese inside

View attachment 674152 View attachment 674153

Well I hope no one fell asleep while reading my long winded post , but there you have it

The chicken is always perfect done in the brine I got from Rich chopsaw chopsaw , and the potatoes are always fun to do and eat

Thanks for reading

David
That looks awesome all the way around, great job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky