Brat pic's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trece

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Decided to throw some brats on the smoker tonight while I was makin Chili Rellenos, found room for a fatty too...imagine that
cool.gif
icon_lol.gif

Did nothing to them, 225 for 2 hours.
Trece

did you find the casing kept out the smoke flavor? I did some brats and was not impressed. They were good but the not much smoke flavor added. I pulled the casing off the next batch. They were better but were dryer.
I think if I would have simmered them in beer and onions after smoking them like you are supposed to they would have been better

soak or simmer them before smoking & they take the smoke better(as it opens up the pores in the casing).plus fresh butcher's bratts work a whole lot better than commercial(johnstonville) bratts.

Actually the smoke flavor is excellent. We left the casings on and did nothing to them. I had read several posts going either way so wasn't sure what would happen. I wish I could tell you what kind they were but I buy everything in bulk so that means they were cheapos from Costco....no clue. They were very juicy.
Trece

WD, I haven't tried others for brats. We've got a german sausage place here, but I don't get by there often. As a rule, I grab the Johnsonville, and they work great for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky