Brand new custom shirley

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebarkhound

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Long Island NY

Drove down to Tuscaloosa this past weeked to truck this guy home.

24x50 reverse flow.
Rotated warmer
SS full length shelf.

Paul and tyler are class act people with an awesome product.

Got to season it this week for the maiden smoke for the weekend.

Going to do a full packer, butt and few racks and wings.

Last edited:
1200lbs on the trailer for 1200 miles. The thing is a tank.

People in traffic on the cross Bronx exp loved it! One iron worker was snapping pics, telling me he's' gonna weld himself one!

I am lucky enough to cook on a Shirley for charity events that Paul built and donated for such events.  The thing is a tank, holds temps like a pro.  Paul and Tyler and their whole family are class acts.  My buddy is driving down from Long Island, NY this week to pick up his.  Some day I'll get on that list!

Very nice looking rig! Shirley Fab is really gaining some traction in the industry. You probably don't realize yet how much your going to love those cabinet style doors on the horizontal. I had a patio smoker that had the big lift up door with the counter weight. When you opened that big heavy door it actually created a vacuum that pulled all the heat and smoke upwards with it.

I now have cabinet doors on my horizontal and it's a big difference. If I open the door slowly enough ir doesn't disturb the smoke flow at all I can actually watch it travel through the smoker for a few seconds before the colder outside air starts to draw it out.

Good luck with the new rig it's a beauty!

Thank you for posting this. I am in the market for a new smoker in the next year or so. I have begun my search for a fabricator and ran across the Shirley website and am very impressed.

I do harvest some questions though:

Does it retain heat well or does it eat wood?

Does any smoke leak out of the doors?

Does the temp vary much from one side of the smoke chamber to the other?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later.

Thanks

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the family!!  I never dreamed I'd own a cooker this good.  I'm so pumped that I'm gonna try to convince the wife to let me put a $300 deposit down to get on their 16 month waiting list as a Father's Day gift.  Wish me luck!!

Does it retain heat well or does it eat wood?

Does any smoke leak out of the doors?

Does the temp vary much from one side of the smoke chamber to the other?
Sorry took so long to answer this.

This smoker holds heat extremely well, you will have a harder time keeping it low, than it not being hot enough. For a low smoke atound 220 i have to divert heat to the warmer above the firebox. You will not use a lit if wood cooking on this vs a thin sheet metal cooker.

This cooker runs with about a 15 degree variance top to bottom left to right.

Doors are sealed with gaskets and very little to no smoke leakage.

Sorry took so long to answer this.

This smoker holds heat extremely well, you will have a harder time keeping it low, than it not being hot enough. For a low smoke atound 220 i have to divert heat to the warmer above the firebox. You will not use a lit if wood cooking on this vs a thin sheet metal cooker.

This cooker runs with about a 15 degree variance top to bottom left to right.

Doors are sealed with gaskets and very little to no smoke leakage.

Thanks so much for the response. I have a homemade smoker that I use in comps that eats wood. I'm now saving up to buy a Shirley. Filled out the price it's going to run me $7800. Gonna be a while.

Just started a thread in the RF smoker section any options you wish you would have got. I just put a deposit on a cooker a30"x80"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky