42" x 24" Elevated Straight Back - Shirley Fabrication

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RedSkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 11, 2020
Sienna, TX
Received my 42" x 24" Elevated Straight back with Rotated Warmer from Tyler Shirley this week. Kevin at Legendary Transport did a great job getting it home safely and kept in contact throughout the process. The pairing of Shirley / Legendary Transport has proven to be exceptional service. My wife isn't as interested in my new girlfriend as you folks may be, so I thought I'd show her off to you guys!

1678542207338.png

In transport...I estimate she'll produce (9) Briskets or (15) Racks of Ribs in the Main Chamber.

1678542239115.png

(3) Racks with (5) Rails for different height adjustments.

1678542260350.png

(3) Racks in the Warmer with (5) Rails & (2) Sausage Rods

1678542319035.png

Coming up to temperature, slowly curing the paint.

1678542346670.png

Small fire w/ lump charcoal base for curing the paint.

1678542296078.png

Side View

1678542375303.png

After a few hours, at 150-170F, slowly bumping the temps to 200F. Damper control between the main/warmer/firebox allowed steady temps across both chambers - approximately 200F.

1678542391922.png

Medium fire allowing 200F.

I continued to cure the paint throughout the evening hours and settled in around 250. I then held temps for a few hours, which was relatively simple with a good coal base. Once the wood was exhausted, I left the firebox cracked slightly with the stack open to slowly come down in temperature throughout the night.

Today, she'll be cooking some baby backs for her maiden voyage. Thanks for taking the time to look, cheers!

*Edit: I have two mottos in life... 1) Buy once, cry once. 2) Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Last edited:
Congratulations - a beautiful girl she is! The fabrication by Shirley is always impressive. You are going to enjoy that pit for sure.

Share with us what your purpose for putting three temperature gauges on the door? I don't believe that is a Shirley standard is it?

I see a lot of quality time coming up with your new mistress. At least she wont be putting cold feet on you!!!

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: RedSkip
Congratulations - a beautiful girl she is! The fabrication by Shirley is always impressive. You are going to enjoy that pit for sure.

Share with us what your purpose for putting three temperature gauges on the door? I don't believe that is a Shirley standard is it?
It is not a "standard", and definitely overkill, but I found them to be useful and still looks good - IMO.

I found the chamber runs hotter closer to the firebox, which surprised me at first. With the reverse flow baffle plate, I would have thought the hotter side would be near the collection point of the exhaust gases. But with the convective currents warming the plate as they travel underneath, heat is lost, so that shouldn't have surprised me. I'm used to traditional offsets where the firebox side is hot, cooler in the middle, and hot/warmer near the exhaust collector.

For some, this is probably a "duh" moment, but it wasn't something I was anticipating - not sure why.

Reactions: JLeonard
Congrats! That is a beauty! By the way you are going to learn to love that warm spot on that low rack next to fire box…..

I modeled many of the features of yours on my copper pot build…. Just know that you can open fire cook in that vertical like this…. You got way more than a smoker!!!!! Ie the vertical is a second cooking unit not just a warmer!
1C687900-66F3-4D1F-A991-5D5287433C35.jpeg

Congrats on the new pit! Those Shirleys are sure nice rigs! Looking forward to watching many cooks on that beast! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Congrats! That is a beauty! By the way you are going to learn to love that warm spot on that low rack next to fire box…..

I modeled many of the features of yours on my copper pot build…. Just know that you can open fire cook in that vertical like this…. You got way more than a smoker!!!!! Ie the vertical is a second cooking unit not just a warmer!
View attachment 659788
I have an seal welded ash pan to catch the drippings and an elevated charcoal grate for the warmer! I was thinking competition chicken in the warmer with direct heat at 300-350F while the brisket, ribs, and butts are cruising along at 250F.

Great minds think alike..!

- Skip

Reactions: civilsmoker
Wow, that is a beautiful smoker. It looks like it will last a lifetime and produce some wonderful smoked meat products!! Enjoy.

It is not a "standard", and definitely overkill, but I found them to be useful and still looks good - IMO.

I found the chamber runs hotter closer to the firebox, which surprised me at first. With the reverse flow baffle plate, I would have thought the hotter side would be near the collection point of the exhaust gases. But with the convective currents warming the plate as they travel underneath, heat is lost, so that shouldn't have surprised me. I'm used to traditional offsets where the firebox side is hot, cooler in the middle, and hot/warmer near the exhaust collector.

. . . . . .
I would suggest it is radiant heat off the baffle on the fire end due to flame. Doesn't the flame lick the baffle plate a bit on that end? Would be interesting to check the temperature of the plate across its length. I am betting it is significantly hotter on that end due to the flame. Granted, convection currents would have a similar effect but it is likely flame impingement causing the biggest impact.

Received my 42" x 24" Elevated Straight back with Rotated Warmer from Tyler Shirley this week. Kevin at Legendary Transport did a great job getting it home safely and kept in contact throughout the process. The pairing of Shirley / Legendary Transport has proven to be exceptional service. My wife isn't as interested in my new girlfriend as you folks may be, so I thought I'd show her off to you guys!

View attachment 659770
In transport...I estimate she'll produce (9) Briskets or (15) Racks of Ribs in the Main Chamber.

View attachment 659771
(3) Racks with (5) Rails for different height adjustments.

View attachment 659772
(3) Racks in the Warmer with (5) Rails & (2) Sausage Rods

View attachment 659774
Coming up to temperature, slowly curing the paint.

View attachment 659775
Small fire w/ lump charcoal base for curing the paint.

View attachment 659773
Side View

View attachment 659776
After a few hours, at 150-170F, slowly bumping the temps to 200F. Damper control between the main/warmer/firebox allowed steady temps across both chambers - approximately 200F.

View attachment 659777
Medium fire allowing 200F.

I continued to cure the paint throughout the evening hours and settled in around 250. I then held temps for a few hours, which was relatively simple with a good coal base. Once the wood was exhausted, I left the firebox cracked slightly with the stack open to slowly come down in temperature throughout the night.

Today, she'll be cooking some baby backs for her maiden voyage. Thanks for taking the time to look, cheers!

*Edit: I have two mottos in life... 1) Buy once, cry once. 2) Ask forgiveness, not permission.
Looks amazing. Definitely jealous. I tried buying a 24x80 trailer the other day but the guy wouldn’t take 11k

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky