boykjo's reverse flow build 05/07/2015 update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was talking about possibly tacking in some pipe extensions to the 6 bottom inlet holes to bring the air flow more towards the center under the fire where the re bar grate will be with the wood on top. I"m going to run it first as it probably do fine without it. My openings are comparable to the Lang and they have good air flow. i don't remember them having the upper vent in their firebox..... With my opening in the firebox to the smoker and the larger stack I don't think lack of airflow is going to be a problem. Maybe too much but in this case too much is good as I can damper it down, I'll also be adding a damper lid to the top of the stack

I like the idea..... Do you lay awake at night..... thinking of new ideas and stuff to do..... on your smokin' pit project.... OK, You are normal....

Just an early bird... I'm usually up around 4 am......In bed by 10............  I usually dream about the smoker in my sleep...lol

Last edited:
The longer it takes to build, the better it will be.... You just gotta sit out there, staring at the smoker thinking.... a cold one helps too...

Think about a firewood grate shaker... something to shake the ash, through the bars, into the ash pan or bottom of the FB...

When I usually think about of the project my thoughts stagger especially when it comes to materials. staying on point is hard to do. I was thinking about using some angle for the firebox door support but  thought that would look crappy... waited till I got the right material and after the door was done I was happy with it. glad I didn't go with the angle. I also need to make a door latch and the 1x1/2 is what I need anyways. I'm trying not to skimp on how this thing is built. Now I have to convince myself that all therms are the same as to where the tel-true (50 dollar) is the same as the made in china $9.99 therm...... I need to buy 2 of them......

I'll be adding one door latch to each side. not 2 like the Lang's. I remember using Kenny's (Raptor) smoker with the 2 latches and every time you open the smoker door you have to lift the latch on the right... I just about dislocated my shoulder several time trying to open the door forgetting to lift that latch......

I will not be adding this little shoulder dislocator...lol

Looking good Joe. I have the same issue on thermometers. I am trying to convince myself that the China made ones are just as good but I can't do it because its not true so the TelTru's are gonna go on it.

Wow that as  lot of reading from start to finish. Glad I did it though. I'm starting a build this week that's nearly identical to this. SOOOOO much information on here. It's amazing. Can't wait to hear how the finished product performs.

Hey Joe your coming down the home stretch, Really looking good, 

Gary

Done with the racks and the firebox door handle. Cut 1/4 inch off the top rack to allow the doors to close....... Dont ask me how I did the door handle.... got lucky on the first try......
hit.gif

Thanks for looking

Joe

Hey Joe, Bring it on down here and we'll fire it up   Nice Job

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky