Boston butt over 4th of July

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here's a pictorial....

Typical set up for my kettle

Lit coals on one end to start the fire, I use lump to get a good hot fire-

Place butt over the drip pan-

Cook until done, I cook until probe tender-

My preferred cook temp, typical butt is done at an hour per pound or better. YMMV-

My best advice- don't over think it, rub the butt, put it on the pit, cook until done and enjoy
icon14.gif
AWESOME Cliff!  You're right, I ALWAYS seem to overthink everything I do.  Smoking/grilling is supposed to be fun and relaxing right?  I'm turning it into a job.

One question...if the snake were to burn to the end and the meat wasn't 195-205 IT, what would you do?

**Edit**  Actually, just open the hinge on my grate and add more unlit coals behind where it's burning in the shape of a snake again but go the opposite way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well guys looks like I'm set.  Got a lot of great help and tips from you all for the upcoming smoke.  

My birthday was yesterday and my wife hooked me up...unexpectedly too.  Got me the big Bayou Classic injector, A Maverick ET-733 dual probe thermometer, some extreme heat resistant gloves, a new weber grate with the hinged sides that flip up, an attachable side table for the webber kettle too. I am pumped for this first time butt smoke.

Going to make a homemade dry rub.  I wasn't going to do this but since I have the injector now I am going to inject the butt with a marinade.  Any suggestions?  Just apple juice maybe?

I'm nervous but excited too.

Well guys looks like I'm set.  Got a lot of great help and tips from you all for the upcoming smoke.  

My birthday was yesterday and my wife hooked me up...unexpectedly too.  Got me the big Bayou Classic injector, A Maverick ET-733 dual probe thermometer, some extreme heat resistant gloves, a new weber grate with the hinged sides that flip up, an attachable side table for the webber kettle too. I am pumped for this first time butt smoke.

Going to make a homemade dry rub.  I wasn't going to do this but since I have the injector now I am going to inject the butt with a marinade.  Any suggestions?  Just apple juice maybe?

I'm nervous but excited too.
That's great Brian - It seems that you are set to go.
icon14.gif

Just a suggestion - Some people just score the skin when they cook the  butt but I always take the skin off before I apply the rub as it allows the flavour to penetrate the meat better. If you want crackling then the skin can always be roasted seperately.

Wade

Reactions: nygiant
You get skin on your butt? ( lol, the questions we can ask on this forum!). I don't think I've ever seen a skin on butt.

As for injecting, I don't do it, mostly because I don't have an injector, but I can tell you that apple cider will be 100x better than just apple juice. I wouldn't go too crazy with the injections on your first smoke. You don't want to be eating a swishy apple if you know what I mean.

Honestly, it's a pork butt. Chuck in on the grill, keep the temp in a sane range (180-300) add smoke and cook until done. Try not to panic. Don't over do the spice or sugar in the rub. Don't add sauce to the meat until it is on your own plate and have fun.

Reactions: nygiant
You get skin on your butt? ( lol, the questions we can ask on this forum!). I don't think I've ever seen a skin on butt.

As for injecting, I don't do it, mostly because I don't have an injector, but I can tell you that apple cider will be 100x better than just apple juice. I wouldn't go too crazy with the injections on your first smoke. You don't want to be eating a swishy apple if you know what I mean.

Honestly, it's a pork butt. Chuck in on the grill, keep the temp in a sane range (180-300) add smoke and cook until done. Try not to panic. Don't over do the spice or sugar in the rub. Don't add sauce to the meat until it is on your own plate and have fun.
Yes. Over here it is called Pork Shoulder and is mostly used for oven roasting. My butcher will remove the skin for me if I ask but as standard it is usually supplied boned, rolled and with the skin still attached.

As with most things on here we all have our own ways that work for us. I usually cook mine at 120 C (250 F).

Yeah, I wasn't planning on it but since the wife bought that shiny new injector I should put it to use I guess.  Not sure I am going to be able to find apple cider.  Can usually get it anywhere come October. But now.........not so sure.

Last edited:

Yeah, I wasn't planning on it but since the wife bought that shiny new injector I should put it to use I guess.  Not sure I am going to be able to find apple cider.  Can usually get it anywhere come October. But now.........not so sure.
Now that is something else that is different... The first time I asked for apple cider in the USA I was very disappointed. Over here, yes it is made from apple juice, but it is fermented into something that will kill most brain cells at a stroke - at least until the following morning. Here cider is a traditional, very alcoholic, country brew that is served in pints and is often over 8% alcohol.

Beer.gif

Here's a pictorial....

Typical set up for my kettle

Lit coals on one end to start the fire, I use lump to get a good hot fire-
Is that Birch?!?!  lol

Now that is something else that is different... The first time I asked for apple cider in the USA I was very disappointed. Over here, yes it is made from apple juice, but it is fermented into something that will kill most brain cells at a stroke - at least until the following morning. Here cider is a traditional, very alcoholic, country brew that is served in pints and is often over 8% alcohol.

Beer.gif
Hey now!  A hard cider ( to us Yanks,) would be pretty good in that too.   

Last edited:
Let me ask this. Something I came across while reading. Does it matter when you stick your digital thermometer in the meat? Was reading that if done soon as you put it on that you are pushing bacteria from the probe into the meat or something crazy like that.

Person also said if injecting with marinade you have to cook to a certain temp at a certain time? Help me! Is this more for restaurants to cover their rears or is it really an issue? I've NEVER heard of it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110909/need-boston-butt-injection

Last edited:

skin on butt.

Let me ask this. Something I came across while reading. Does it matter when you stick your digital thermometer in the meat? Was reading that if done soon as you put it on that you are pushing bacteria from the probe into the meat or something crazy like that.

Person also said if injecting with marinade you have to cook to a certain temp at a certain time? Help me! Is this more for restaurants to cover their rears or is it really an issue? I've NEVER heard of it.

Anyone have thoughts on the above?

Anyone have thoughts on the above?

If injected, you'll wanna have your meat hit IT of 140* within four hours ! I don't personally inject pork butts, I do my thing, put on smoker, then after bout 3-4 hrs I'll probe it... That way all the surface bacteria is killed before probing ! If ya probe or inject raw, then yes... Your pushing bacteria into the meat & need to hit the 140* within 4 hrs ! Hope this helps !

If injected, you'll wanna have your meat hit IT of 140* within four hours ! I don't personally inject pork butts, I do my thing, put on smoker, then after bout 3-4 hrs I'll probe it... That way all the surface bacteria is killed before probing ! If ya probe or inject raw, then yes... Your pushing bacteria into the meat & need to hit the 140* within 4 hrs ! Hope this helps !

Helps for sure, thanks. I seriously had no idea and it never crossed my mind about the temperature probe. Wonder how many people know that or was it just me? I was just going to probe it and put it on the grill. Now I'm not!

Also, what is the reasoning for having to get it to 140 in 4 hours if injecting? I don't understand the reason???

Last edited:

Helps for sure, thanks. I seriously had no idea and it never crossed my mind about the temperature probe. Wonder how many people know that or was it just me? I was just going to probe it and put it on the grill. Now I'm not!

Also, what is the reasoning for having to get it to 140 in 4 hours if injecting? I don't understand the reason???

I've not read this whole thread myself.... However I think posts 4-7 will hopefully be helpful !

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121168/40-140-in-4-hours-discussion

There's other threads other than the one I referenced above.... Put into the search bar 140 in 4 hrs & you'll get some results to make your own conclusion... However, I personally stick by it.... Just my 2 pennies !

For normal BBQ smokes this is not likely to be a problem even if you are using an inserted probe. Yes you may be taking a (relatively) few bacteria from the surface of the meat into the puncture hole however the meat is heating up from the outside in and this is way above 140 F - usually in the region of 230-250 F. As the heat radiates inwards the temperature along the probe puncture increases and continually reduces the space within which the bacteria can grow - and it kills any that may have already grown. You will also get some heat being transmitted along the metal probe shaft itself resulting in the temperature of the meat around the shaft rising slightly faster than the main meat bulk. Also bacteria do not grow wildly until the temperature reaches 140F and then suddenly die. As the temperature increases they will go through a stage of rapid growth around 80-90 F but then, as the temperature continues to rise, the growth rate will slow down exponentially and they will then increasingly start to die.

It will also depend on the meat you are cooking and how it has been handled during preparation. With something like chicken you would want to get up to temperature within the 4 hours but with beef or pork it will be less important.

Most normal low-and-slow smoking temperatures will bring the IT of the meat up 140 F within 4 hours - depending on the thickness of the meat - but should we be paranoid if it takes up to 5 hours to reach 140 F? No - providing that you are continually increasing the IT over the cooking time and that by the end the meat has fully reach its final cooking temperature.

Last edited:

Yeah, you could push some in, but I don't worry about it on a butt.  You will be taking it to about 200 internal temp, slowly.  Anything that you may or may not have pushed into the meat will be long dead.  Food safty temps and times (http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html) Say 145 for 3 min for pork.  You will be north of 145 for hours!

I also dry brine my pork by rubbing the outside with salt and letting it sit over night.  I probably add more surface bacteria washing off the salt brine!

Yeah, you could push some in, but I don't worry about it on a butt.  You will be taking it to about 200 internal temp, slowly.  Anything that you may or may not have pushed into the meat will be long dead.  Food safty temps and times (http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html) Say 145 for 3 min for pork.  You will be north of 145 for hours!

I also dry brine my pork by rubbing the outside with salt and letting it sit over night.  I probably add more surface bacteria washing off the salt brine!

I just made my own dry rub last night from a recipe I found on this site. Is that the same as the salt brine or would you do the salt separately and then rub it the next day? I mean, the rub I made does have salt in it.

Well.....its on the grill. Got started around 7am and the butt went on at 7:45. Temp seems to be holding steady. I plan on going at 275 for about 3-4 hours and then back it down to 225-250 for the remainder. Gonna estimate 8-10 hours.

Here are some early pics. Hickory and apple chunks alternated. Used Stubbs bricketts for this smoke. Lined up the snake 3 high by 3 wide.

Put it on and within 5 minutes I noticed I forgot the drip pan. Whoops......... Guess that's what happens when you stay up drinking until 130 am celebrating the 4th. Working on a little over 5 hours sleep. Had some coffee and the glorious smell of the hickory already has me feeling awake and good now.

I'll post back throughout the day and do a final wrap up with pics for anyone interested. Oh yeah, made 2 different homemade sauces. One from this site that everyone raved about. Also a NC style vinegar sauce I found on YouTube. Wish me luck since this is my maiden voyage!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky