Boston butt over 4th of July

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nygiant

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
VA
Will be my first attempt. Don't have a true smoker,will be using a 22" weber kettle grill. Is a 5 lb butt too small?

Any tips would be appreciated.

It's to small to have to have much left over! You got to start somewhere I say go for it, good luck with it!

Just so you know, generally you will end up with round 35-40% loss on a butt.... Just keep that in mind !

Yeah, only 2 people eating it though.

The problem will be it will be so good you'll want to kick yourself for not having extra! Pulled pork freezes well. Maybe try 2-5#ers foil one and not the other while your at it!:biggrin:

The problem will be it will be so good you'll want to kick yourself for not having extra! Pulled pork freezes well. Maybe try 2-5#ers foil one and not the other while your at it!:biggrin:

Yeah maybe that's the way to do it. Will it take longer having 2 of them on? I was going to get one of those digital dual probe thermometers. One for the grill one one for the meat. Guess I could stick one in each roast and use the old thermometer I've been sticking down in the vent holes.

It's pretty important to have a thermometer in the meat I've read.

Last edited:
Just so you know, generally you will end up with round 35-40% loss on a butt.... Just keep that in mind !

Wow that's a HUGE loss! I guess I should buy a bigger one.

Trust me, you'll want leftovers !

Do yourself a favor and start it with plenty of time to spare.... Big or small, they all have a mind of their own & they are done on their schedule ! Now, if possible I'll do my pulled pork smoke a day or two in advance... Toss in the crockpot to warm up with a little apple juice ! It's even better after sitting a couple days !

Yeah maybe that's the way to do it. Will it take longer having 2 of them on? I was going to get one of those digital dual probe thermometers. One for the grill one one for the meat. Guess I could stick one in each roast and use the old thermometer I've been sticking down in the vent holes.

It's pretty important to have a thermometer in the meat I've read.

Nope, it won't matter if there's one or two.... And yes, get a good reliable dual therm. I have a Maverik ET-732 & igrill2.... Like them both a lot !

Nope, it won't matter if there's one or two.... And yes, get a good reliable dual therm. I have a Maverik ET-732 & igrill2.... Like them both a lot !

Sounds good, I'll take a look at that one.

Would you use the snake method for the coals or coal on one side so I can add them. I have one of those grates where the sides flip up.

Just wasn't sure how long the snake would burn. Wouldn't want into burn out and the roasts not be done. I'd have to start all over and get the grill temp back up.

Last edited:

Sounds good, I'll take a look at that one.

Would you use the snake method for the coals or coal on one side so I can add them. I have one of those grates where the sides flip up.

Just wasn't sure how long the snake would burn. Wouldn't want into burn out and the roasts not be done. I'd have to start all over and get the grill temp back up.

I would just set up your kettle for a simple indirect smoke personally ! Coals off to one side !

Last edited:
I would just set up your kettle for a simple indirect smoke personally ! Coals off to one side !

Yeah sounds like it would be easier.

So get a full chimney of lit coals dumped in grill on one side , add wood chunks and replenish with unlit coals as needed?

And don't forget we like pic's of meat and smokers and all the related toys! I would think indirect practice the snake a few times before trying it out just to see how well it keeps temp and for how long. My first butt was on my gasser before I bought a WSM and I had my parents over they almost left before it was done around 9 at night butts can be interesting if you plan to eat a certain time. You can hold them double wrapped in foil in a dry cooler for quite awhile.

Yeah sounds like it would be easier.

So get a full chimney of lit coals dumped in grill on one side , add wood chunks and replenish with unlit coals as needed?

I would not do a full lit chimney... Have you heard of the Minion Method ? I'd do that ! If ya haven't heard of it, we'll help ya out !

And don't forget we like pic's of meat and smokers and all the related toys! I would think indirect practice the snake a few times before trying it out just to see how well it keeps temp and for how long. My first butt was on my gasser before I bought a WSM and I had my parents over they almost left before it was done around 9 at night butts can be interesting if you plan to eat a certain time. You can hold them double wrapped in foil in a dry cooler for quite awhile.

Sure, will take pics and post them! I think maybe doing the coals on one side would be easier for a first timer. Do you dump all the lit ones on and then add unlit as you go?

I would not do a full lit chimney... Have you heard of the Minion Method ? I'd do that ! If ya haven't heard of it, we'll help ya out !

Sorry, I must have posted before I saw your response above. I've heard of it just not real sure.

NYG, Also look up the finishing sauces in the search bar for really taking your PP to the next level!

NYG, Also look up the finishing sauces in the search bar for really taking your PP to the next level!

Ok will do. I don't want to use any store bought stuff. I like North Carolina style pork.

Been going through the search feature on this site for a few hours trying to read up and learn.  I can't really find exactly what I'm looking for though.  Seems most guys have true smokers and I don't.  The weber 22" kettle grill is what I have.  I'm just torn as to which way to set up the coals.  Do a fat snake around 1/2 to 3/4 the circumference of the grill?  

Put a big pile of unlit coals on one side and then add 10-12 lit coals from the cimney at the end of the unlit one?  I guess with my grate that flips up on each side I could always add more unlit coals as the pile starts getting low......I'm just not sure.

Seems the snake would work good for ribs...4-6 hours.  But the butt from what I read for a 6-8 pounder could take 10-12 hours and that's where I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Here's a pictorial....

Typical set up for my kettle

Lit coals on one end to start the fire, I use lump to get a good hot fire-

Place butt over the drip pan-

Cook until done, I cook until probe tender-

My preferred cook temp, typical butt is done at an hour per pound or better. YMMV-

My best advice- don't over think it, rub the butt, put it on the pit, cook until done and enjoy
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky