BGE / Flame Boss / Temp Control / Gasket help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titus0327

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
North Tonawanda, NY
I've got a couple questions.....the last few cooks I've done I've had issues with my temps, and I'm not exactly sure why.

I have an XL BGE and I use a Flame Boss and I'm usually setting my goal temp at 225*. The egg will roll along great for a couple hours at 225* and then for seemingly no reason the egg steadily begins to climb, sometimes getting all the way up to 275*. The fan will be at 0 the whole time too. Not sure what's making it rise. At first I thought maybe the sun was making the temp rise...but I did a cook yesterday and the weather was in the 40s and overcast, and after 2 hours of steady 225*, it started creeping up to 245* and prob would of kept climbing had I not pulled the ham off I was smoking.

Couple additional questions / thoughts.....

How do you know when you need to replace your gasket? I'm beginning to get a little smoke coming out where the lids meet. Could a bad gasket be the reason for the unexplained temp rise?

When do you hook up the Flame Boss? Do you get the Egg up to temp and then hook the FB up? Or do you get the Egg going, hook up the FB, and allow the FB to bring the egg up to temp? Does it even matter?

Thanks,
Titus

I usually replace mine every couple of years they flatten out and seem to get hard and don’t seal as good

I don't have an egg and I don't have a flameboss. I have a vision and a partyq. I usually smoke at higher temps. When I use the PartyQ I get the coals going and about 100 degrees below my target temp I put the PartyQ on and close down the vents. Occasionally I have had some issues with over shooting the target, but that was because I lit too may coals.

I have the same problem. I've attributed it to a wood chunk catching fire - haven't proven it, but just a guess. I have the overshoot on startup too. What I'm trying to do now is to close down the vents to almost closed where the fire is starving for air. Then when the fire starts choking down to lack of sufficient air and the temp drops below set point, the fan can kick in.

I don't understand how people can say that the controller, whether it's Flame Boss or whatever , can control the temp. If and probably when, the temp climbs above set point, the controller just sets there. It ceases to control at that point. The temperature can climb to what ever it wants to . I definitely don't walk off an leave mine. Since I have a Smoke controller, I have a remote that I can carry with me and monitor the temp - also it has an app you can download and go run an errand for a while.

If anybody has any suggestions as to how I can better use the Flame Boss ,please let me know.

Thanks,

Backpacker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky