1st overnight smoke = Fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SWGA

Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
I am not a new smoker but I usually cook for dinner and not lunch. I started the brisket smoke at 9:30 last night and was smoking at 225-240 and went to bed with multiple temperature alarms on the Meater probe set (that didn’t go off) and woke up at 5:30 to an egg that was completely off. It looks like at 1:30am it started to reduce temp and at 2:30 ambient temp fell below 140*. I immediately cranked temp back up to get to 175* to wrap. Internal temp dropped from 135* at 2:30 to 105* when I got up at 5:30.

Think it’s still safe to eat or did I just wrap trash for practice?

Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: JLeonard
I use my Meater pretty frequently. Did you have the volume on your phone turned down? That's how I miss the push notifications that come from mine...
Phone volume being down, or my phone being on DND, has gotten me a few times in the past as well. I have an older iPad that is now just used for the temp probes and the PID controller. I never drop the volume on that one so I know it'll alert when needed.

Now, an evening of imbibing HAS had me silence alarms without realizing it as well. OOPS! :emoji_sunglasses:

I use my Meater pretty frequently. Did you have the volume on your phone turned down? That's how I miss the push notifications that come from mine...
I did have volume on, up, and notifications on. I sent Meater some screen shots to see if it’s a device issue. I only get notifications when the app is open on my phone. So when I woke up and opened my phone it went bananas with notifications. I checked phone setting and they seem right. Also have to force close app each time I look at it, something’s not quite right. It was my first time using the Meater, I’ve used other brands in past.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.png
    IMG_1196.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: babydocsmoker
You’re fine, the IT was above 140 before it dropped, so even if you injected it, it still should be fine. Just finish it up & have a great lunch!
Al
Thanks so much for the response. We ate it and it was still good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky