Best metal for a diffuser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roy richardson

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
NW Indiana
I need to make a couple of diffusers for my Big Baby and I was looking for some suggestions on what type of metal to use for the diffuser.

Adder- you sound like you either a). work for a ballistics company. Or B) design and build space shuttles. J/k. All that was above my and probably most peoples heads

dtj16,

You may be quite right.  However, a little exotic material use allows old applications to do things never dreamed of before.  I fear some of my other posts are just as indecipherable.  Note to self, never mention the second law of thermodynamics, as it applies to smoking.  Someone will chase me with a burning fire log, and pound my head until I stop using hundred dollar words.

My daddy always told me "Son, never use a big word, when a diminutive one will suffice". 

Hahaha- and what is that law? I like complex things and learning. What do you do? 3 month old smoker here, been grilling cooking for @ 10 yrs but this is a whole new world for me. Thx

It is pricy, but available without special government contacts. Digi-key  will sell a 5 inch by 7 inch piece, which is about 4/1000th thick for 84 bucks.  It is about 1/3 the weight of aluminum for a given volume, survives insane heat (similar to a diamond), blocks heat through the thinnest dimension, but conducts heat end-to-end 3 times better than copper and as a plus, it levitates above a magnet.  Wrapped around a gun, makes it invisible to metal detectors, a very exotic material.  Larger sheets are available from the manufacturers, but the price scales up with the size. 

Last edited:
I think I understand what you are speaking of and give a shot of my baffles (or diffusers) . Made of 1/4" plate (once grease starts dripping on them , you won't need to worry about rusting , just scrape them now and then and go on . . .

These are in my Horizontal portion and are adjustable . I have a 3/16" Stainless I used in my small Smoker to reverse flow it and it works like a charm , too.

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky