METAL TYPE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DEERMAKER

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2024
NORTHEASTERN PA
ANY THOUGHTS ON METAL TYPE AND PREFERENCES FOR INTERIOR OF SMOKER
RUST ISSUES, SAFETY, COST ETC IVE DONE LITTLE DIGGING BUT TOSING OUT ? FOR INFO AND EXPERIENCE
TY KINDLY
MAINLY FOR RACKING SPANS ARE 24 IN ON ALL COUNTS EXCEPT 55 IN VERTICALS (4) BUT NEED MANY PIECES IN GENERAL

Reactions: JLeonard
Hi Deermaker!

So if I'm understanding, you're asking about cooking racks inside your vertical smoker build?

The most common and affordable material for the fabrication of cooking racks is mild carbon steel (it's what I use). Build a square or rectangular frame out of mild steel tubing or angle iron, then cover that with mild steel expanded metal, and you've got yourself a cooking grate. Then use angle iron along the sides of your cabinet to build a slide - or runner - for the cooking rack to slide into the cabinet.

While it's true that mild steel will rust when exposed to the elements, as long as you "season" the interior of your smoker - including all the cooking racks - and then cook in it regularly, it won't rust. The oils and fats inside the chamber will make a good rust inhibitor.

If cost isn't a factor, there are some who use stainless steel to build racks, but in addition to being more expensive, it's also harder to weld.

As far as spacing, in a vertical cook chamber, it's nice to have enough clearance between racks to accommodate larger cuts of meat like pork butts, whole chickens, etc. I try to allow for approx 5-7 inches of clearance if space allows.

I hope that answers what you were asking. If not, just give a little more info and I'll try again.

Good luck with the build!

Red

Reactions: slavikborisov
Hi Deermaker!

So if I'm understanding, you're asking about cooking racks inside your vertical smoker build?

The most common and affordable material for the fabrication of cooking racks is mild carbon steel (it's what I use). Build a square or rectangular frame out of mild steel tubing or angle iron, then cover that with mild steel expanded metal, and you've got yourself a cooking grate. Then use angle iron along the sides of your cabinet to build a slide - or runner - for the cooking rack to slide into the cabinet.

While it's true that mild steel will rust when exposed to the elements, as long as you "season" the interior of your smoker - including all the cooking racks - and then cook in it regularly, it won't rust. The oils and fats inside the chamber will make a good rust inhibitor.

If cost isn't a factor, there are some who use stainless steel to build racks, but in addition to being more expensive, it's also harder to weld.

As far as spacing, in a vertical cook chamber, it's nice to have enough clearance between racks to accommodate larger cuts of meat like pork butts, whole chickens, etc. I try to allow for approx 5-7 inches of clearance if space allows.

I hope that answers what you were asking. If not, just give a little more info and I'll try again.

Good luck with the build!

Red
nice ! so angle iron of any kind is ok ? other than galvanized

nice ! so angle iron of any kind is ok ? other than galvanized

Yep! Definitely no galvanized. It's coated with zinc, which produces toxins when heated - not a good thing for cookers.

I usually build my rack frames out of 1x1x1/8" mild carbon steel angle iron, or 1" square tubing. And the slides - or runners - also out of the same angle iron.

Red

OH AND I HAVE TO BUILD THE ENTIRE RACK FRAME ONE PER EACH SIDE LEFT AND RIGHT THEN INSERT AND BOLT IN

OH AND I HAVE TO BUILD THE ENTIRE RACK FRAME ONE PER EACH SIDE LEFT AND RIGHT THEN INSERT AND BOLT IN

Correct.

Most folks weld them in, but I don't see why they couldn't be bolted in as well - as long as the nuts and/or bolts don't interfere with the rack sliding in and out.

To give you a visual, here are a couple pics from one of Robert's ( tx smoker tx smoker ) cabinet builds. I hope he doesn't mind if I share his pics with you. I'll be building similar racks in my current vertical build - just haven't gotten that far yet. This shows the common way most guys construct cooking racks in a vertical chamber. You'll notice that he used C-channel for runners instead of angle iron - which works great because it provides a "stay" across the top of the runner to keep the racks from tipping forward when you slide them out.

1707326212538.png

1707326230057.png

Hope that helps - and apologies to Robert for appropriating his pics without his permission. Robert, hope that's OK...

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky