BBQ Spots Shutting Down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hmmm....
Well being in Jersey my choices for BBQ outside of what I smoke is extremely limited.
There is a Famous Daves about 45 minutes away.
A new place opened down on High Street, Gypsy BBQ I think is what they call it, never went in there but saw some pics of his BBQ, didn't see any kind of a pink ring, then there is/was a place the next town over called Uncle Dewey's (now Uncle Randy's I think) and they are BBQ and fish fry only during the Summer, never made it down there but next year I'll check them out.

lol Interestingly enough I think Cookout's chopped bbq plate is pretty decent for $4. Little Richard's is closer to what I was thinking of.
biggrin.gif
I do some side work in Lexington and there is some very good Q down there.

Were you going to school at Wake Forest?

hahaha! I guess my California taste buds weren't too refined for BBQ at the time? :)

And yeah I hear Lexington was the place to go, but I never had the chance to go out there.

and yup, I was a Deamon Deacon. I miss NC!

I agree with every word you said Chef. I never pay for commercial Q anymore, and I only eat it if it is catered to an event I'm at. Whenever we are trying to decide where to eat out Q is never mentioned. Now, click your heels together three times...

Pretty much the same in Mesquite as well . We still have Sonny Brian's off Inwood and Haredeman's off Lancaster by the Va if you are brave ! Imagine a WINE list at a Q house ... go figure ! Have you tried the new place on Galveston Island ??

I once heard someone say, "if you want to make a small fortune in the BBQ business, it's easy - just start with a large fortune."

PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Actually, this is true for all types of restaurants in the food service industry - not just BBQ. It's hard to make money, and then you combine that with less disposable income, and the fact that REAL 'que costs more to produce than chicken sandwiches and burgers - and you can see why some places would be closing shop.

We have them opening around here. Unfortunately, most ain't real 'Q. One opened just last month. I walked in and sniffed and said "Where's the smoker?" They replied "Oh, we don't do that here".

Those that do good Q keep doing good business.

Here in Ohioland there are only the chains that sell Q,you know-Bad Bob's(appropriately named),Sticky Ribs(another boil and char joint) and a couple others that do nasty stuff to meat.
I personally do my own,and for family and friends. I was raised in Temple,Tx. and learned from some of the old guys-Homer Page,Rudy Mikeska and others. My BBQ satisfies me and gives me the pleasure of sharing the goodness with others; why wander?

I hate to see anyone go out of business myself but I cant justify eating out myself when I can cook at home and cook great. One meal at a restaurant is many at home for me. Plus have ya seen fatties at any restaurants?
icon_rolleyes.gif

one cannot predict every reason why a place would close but I usually see one of two reasons any business shuts down.

1 folks get tired of it and go do something else
2 folks had no idea how to conduct business in the first place and it caught up with them.

We don't really have any q around here. But the restraunts that are going out, at least the ones I have visited, started cutting quality and were amazed when attendance declined and they had little or no income..

Not sure if it's been said but if they are closing there should be some good deals on equipment if you are interested in opening your own.

There are generally many reasons businesses go under, among them poor management, poor product, poor service, poor accessibility and just plain lousy. Also the fixed costs go up every day: insurance, rent electricity, water , advertising ect.. The only joint in my area is a chain and they bake or braise everything they sell. If you pile BBQ sauce on it; it’s BBQ no matter how you cook it…RIGHT!.

It is a shame that the ones that do put out good “real BBQ” can’t stay in business. Right now the economy really sucks and those that are the family business type joints are having a hard time staying open. They are not able to buy product in the quantity or for the price the chains can, the hours are long and the return is minimal…ya really have to love what you are doing and love don’t pay the bills.

That's too bad. I'd say it has more to do with the economy than them getting rich and cashing in. Case in point the guy that's only open on weekends now. People that have money are more likely to go out on a weekend than a weeknight.

Seems like here in Des Moines there's a new one opening all the time. I expect most of them to be closed in the next year. Can't see a town this size supporting that many BBQ places.

Haha...not a big fan of cookout's pulled pork, but I eat there way too much for their tray's. A burger, cheddar style, the cajun fries...any place that chicken nuggets or a corn dog can be a side is a place I love!

Also, I've only been here for about 3 years, so I'm still hooked on Cheerwine!

It tastes so good on the lips!!

Apparently it's an NC thing, but basically it's a cherry soda that is just...amazing.

To imagine it, just imagine the best thing you've ever tasted. If it's not a liquid, make one, then multiply that goodness by about eleventy-billion.

I liked Cheerwine, but only drank it a few times to be honest.

I mainly enjoyed the Sweet Tea and Yuengling Beer (I can't find it here in Southern Cali!)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky