Bacon Wrapped Meatballs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gixxerfrk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
I got asked to do a smoked surprise meat for Thanksgiving by a friend. They wanted to do the meal early, we’re talking 11 am, so it had to be something fast. I settled on some bacon wrapped meatballs I had done in the past.

Unfortunately, I have had a few speed bumps already. The last time I made these I used 1 part Jimmy Dean Original sausage and 1 part Jimmy Dean Maple flavored sausage. When I got home last night I discovered that Wal-Mart subbed out the Maple flavored sausage with Original on our grocery order and my wife forgot to tell me. Ugh. Good news was I had some maple syrup.

This morning I decided to try out my new LavaRock Minion Method basket, bad idea but more on that later. Let’s just say it’s never a good idea to experiment with your cooking rig when time is of the essence.

Now I’m having trouble holding temps down where I want them. It shouldn’t be an issue as it’s only 60’ outside but it’s a short cook so we’ll manage. On to the good stuff... the recipe, sorta.

I used a rub recipe I already had for pork and tweaked it for flavor. S, P, OP, GP, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, and, as I mentioned before, some maple syrup in the meat for flavor. Using KB with Apple chunks and sweet maple pellets in an Amaz-N tray for smoke. Final results to follow.

D9DD3E2A-07C1-467A-B848-46E2B0156076.jpeg

Reactions: jcam222 and sandyut
they look good at the starting line. looking forward to seeing them done.

Looks good from here. Looking forward to finished pics... think I would call them breakfast balls, I could probably eat half of them now!

Ryan

Reactions: gixxerfrk
Looks good from here. Looking forward to finished pics... think I would call them breakfast balls, I could probably eat half of them now!

Ryan

That’s exactly what they are supposed to be! I wanted a little bit of sweet with a nutty finish And that’s exactly what I got.

Looks great. Nutmeg and clove maybe give it almost a bratwurst taste?
Almost but not quite. You would need some coriander, celery seed, and probably some herbs like thyme, basil, oregano, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky