Meatballs Souvlaki and Fire Roasted Lemon Potatoes and Onions, " Touch of Greek "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Meatballs Souvlaki and Fire Roasted Lemon Potatoes and Onions, " Touch of Greek "

So have pork and beef meatballs, and wanted to fix the flavour in them . So made a marinate to make the Souvlaki meatballs.
Oil, lemon juice, water, rubbed oregano and granulated garlic powder.

First I smoked them for half hour with apple chips on the Q. Let them cool then added them to a bag with the marinate and in the fridge for couple hours.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Wedged up 3 large potatoes and in a bowl with garlic powder, paprika , salt and pepper oregano and oil and Lemon juice. Stirred and let sit while prepping other items.

Got the BBQ up to heat and on with the potatoes in the veg pan, ( Love this thing ) added fresh sliced lemons and onions. While they are cooking pulled the meat balls out of marinate and put on double sticks. Helps them from spinning on the sticks. Made a small batch of Donair sauce , or Tzatziki sauce if you will. Not the real sauce made from crushed cucumbers etc. But from Evaporated milk and sugar and vinegar and garlic and parsley. Same as I have been making for 40 some years . Mona loves it , but she is a Donair Nut. :emoji_wink:

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Made a glaze out of the marinate to top the souvlaki meatballs as they did their trick on the Q.

9.JPG

So into the house and plated it all up. The roasted lemon potatoes and onions. topped with the Souvlaki meatballs. And a little glaze on them.
Made a fresh salad of diced cukes, tomatoes and gr. peppers. Made some ribbon cuke slices . Fresh bag of pita bread incase someone wanted to make a wrap ( and I did also when I saw Mona's ) .

10.JPG

11.JPG

I stood back so the lady's could load up. Then my turn.
Filled up on the balls and love the crispy Lemon Potatoes

15.JPG

And a little pita wrap for me cause Mona made hers look good.

16.JPG

Well folks, I know a long winded meal for me , hope you enjoyed. I know we did.

The meatballs did pick up a lot of the souvlaki flavour but did not really notice much smoke but that could be because the souvlaki is very strong flavour, and I love it. This is by no means as good as fresh pork or chicken souvlaki. But still very good. And with the Donair sauce , heaven. Brownie points for me tonight :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

Thanks guys.

David

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 9
David, we love Tzatziki sauce and Greek flavors in general. I also make the crispy lemon potatoes, they are great. Nice work...

Thanks Charles for the like and the comment

Yes as do we, and Mona could put that sauce on most things and be happy.
Now the crispy lemon potatoes I can make a meal just out of them.

David

David looks fantastic and I kid you not , just a few hours ago before I saw this post I was googling recipes for chicken souvlaki meatballs. Wild!! Love those Greek flavors

• Wow
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Well,,,,, I’d show up early for that, early bird gets the meatball.

Thanks Eric for the like and the comment.
Yes you are right , and just so happens there are two skewers left as of an hour ago.
I don't think the ladies attacked the fridge yet for snacks, lol

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
David looks fantastic and I kid you not , just a few hours ago before I saw this post I was googling recipes for chicken souvlaki meatballs. Wild!! Love those Greek flavors

Thanks Jeff for the comment. Now that is funny. I have been wanting the souvlaki flavour since last night.
Funny how you were looking at it also. And for meat balls.
I was going to use pork , but none out of the freezer, so meat balls it was. It was very nice . but like I mentioned , nothing is better the the pork or chicken marinated and grilled over a flame to get those crispy edges.
Wow now I want more , lol

Yes I like most Greek flavours.

David

Reactions: jcam222
David, what a fine meal and post (spinner worthy)! That final plate with everything stacked up is a winner winner meatball dinner!!!!!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David, what a fine meal and post (spinner worthy)! That final plate with everything stacked up is a winner winner meatball dinner!!!!!

Thanks civil for the like and the comment

It did have that come eat me kind of look, And Mona and her mom had no problem filling up their little bird plates " twice " lol

David

Looks amazing David! And I think I know what's for dinner this weekend. Were the balls a blend of beef and pork?

Thanks Steve for the love and the comment

It was very good Steve and I could also have it again this weekend with some fresh pork skewers. It is one of those flavours that just make my mouth water even just thinking about it.

Yes the meatballs were a blend of Beef and Pork. It was just what we had ( I just put it under the pork forum as did not want to post it under both.) You guys would have to slap me.

David

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Looks fantastic David. One of my nieces married into a Greek family and I always look forward to family gatherings.

I see you've got my place at the table all set up. Be right over.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

I also enjoy most Greek foods , and souvlaki is one of the tops.
And I could go for a couple big diamonds of Baclava Mmmmmmmm

Funny you would say that about the big dish of all the kabobs, I was going to say that was my dish, lol

David

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky