Cajun Meatballs and Brown Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Another rib sticker meal. Popular on Mondays right up there with redbeans and rice...

First make the meatballs...
IMG_20240205_163303.jpg

Then fry in batches and move to an aluminum foil covered sheet pan...
IMG_20240205_164810.jpg

Bake meatballs in the oven @400*F for 40 minutes.
IMG_20240205_175342.jpg

Meanwhile, make the gravy...
Onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and 2 cans mild ro-tel tomatoes inda pot...
IMG_20240205_174622.jpg

When the timer on the oven is at 9-10 minutes left, add to the pot- 1qt. beef stock, little worster sauce, little Tabasco, pinch of marjoram, 4 TBSPS, dark cajun roux, bring to a boil to thicken, then reduce to simmer...
IMG_20240205_175834.jpg

When oven timer is up, add meatballs and simmer 20-30 minutes while you cook some rice. Finish with green onion...
IMG_20240205_182257.jpg

And lets eat!!
IMG_20240205_182804.jpg

Yup that would work for me!!!! It’s a cold rainy day outside right now and a plate of that would have me as warm and fuzzy as one could be!

Yes Inda, Awesome looking meal!!! Would love a bowl of that right now!!

Yup that would work for me!!!! It’s a cold rainy day outside right now and a plate of that would have me as warm and fuzzy as one could be!
Thanks civil! Been a while since I've made this one. The gravy is almost identical to the gravy made with Grillades.

Yes Inda, Awesome looking meal!!! Would love a bowl of that right now!!
Thanks Redicans. It's a great meal. The meatballs are italian style, same as you would make for spaghetti...with milk, bread, egg and parmesan cheese. Only exception is marjoram in place of the italian herb.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Oh, and I sauteed onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in a little olive oil, then folded that into the meatball batter as well...

Well wife found a pack of burger and ground pork i bought a couple of days ago and didn't know what I wanted to make, bingo problem solved, meatballs in the oven, will pu celery and ro-tel tomatoes, have some brown rice but might pu some white.

Fantastic looking vittles Keith.

Point for sure
Chris

Well wife found a pack of burger and ground pork i bought a couple of days ago and didn't know what I wanted to make, bingo problem solved, meatballs in the oven, will pu celery and ro-tel tomatoes, have some brown rice but might pu some white.
Nice. This recipe is fairly common on Mondays in SW Louisiana. Pretty straightforward.
Never had a Cajun meatball, but that whole thing looks killer.
Cajun meatballs are a seasoned, spicier version of Italian meatballs. The trinity along with garlic is added as well as a hefty amount of cayenne, white and black pepper.

Fantastic looking vittles Keith.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

I am digging it, looks fabulous!

Dave
Thanks Dave!

Man I would be all over those Keith! Another winner! Bookmarked to do with some keto meatballs
Thanks Jeff! These would rock keto!

Reactions: jcam222
Man, I don't eat as much as I use too, and I would be disappointed not being able to eat as much of that as I wanted. DANG

Warren

Keith is there a recipe you can share on the meatballs?
Sure...
3 Large eggs
3 sliced stale bread (or burger buns, etc,,,,)
1/2c. whole milk
1 TBSP. worster sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
3/4 c. fresh shredded Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

^^^^^mix that in a S.S. 6qt. bowl.

1 Large onions
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 c. celery
^^^^all fine dice
1/8 c. minced garlic

^^^^Saute' in 2TBSP. olive oil 8-10 minutes until onions are clear and slightly caramelized. Remove from heat, cool. then add to SS. bowl. Then add...

1.5# ground beef (chuck 80/20)
1.5# ground pork
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 TBSP. cayenne pepper
1/2 TBSP. white pepper
1 1/2 TBSP. black pepper
1 1/2 TBSP. salt

Mix well. Add bread crumbs or cracker crumbs to tighten the mix as needed. Form into golf ball sized meat balls. should make 35-40.

***Warning- these meatballs will be spicy! They will have a kick with all the pepper added. You can cut that back by half for milder meat balls.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky