Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thigh help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt44

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hyrum, Utah
I took some boneless chicken thighs and brined them in 1 gal water with 1 cup Kosher salt and 1 Cup Brown sugar for about 12 hours. I then spread a little cream cheese on them, wrapped them in bacon and cooked them over apple wood for 2 hours and they were extremely tender and delicious. Eager to have them again, I basically did the same thing only I brined them for 8 hours and when I put the chicken in the brine they were still mostly frozen.When they were done cooking they were not quite as good and on the dry side. Did being frozen affect them? Other ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Matt, easy answer is "Yes". Frozen birds are drier than fresh cut. You could have let them sit in the Brine till they were thawed , (and thus re-plenished with liquid) ,however will still be offf tasting.

There are too many places to get fresh Chix., and the price is about the same. You can't leave them in too long (Brine that is) , one of our Mods. held a bird for a week - chancy but check before you cook it.

Sorry about the "Chicken Pops" , ya live and learn...

Have fun and...

however, did you see the dinners drive in and dives bbq week? guy went to one place that put rub on his turkey and put it in the smoker mostly frozen and they made a big deal out of it.  i havnt tried it, afraid it wont come out done enough especially during the window of no return. or am i just being paranoid?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky