Bacon Laced Sirloin Filets W Brandied Plum Compote (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This one was a couple days in the thought processes and didn't nail down the final details until I was actually under construction with dinner. This started out going to be pork loin cops with pineapple compote but as I was thinking through things I went a totally different direction...and the final results were just amazing. A friend recently got into canning different fruits that grow on his property and gifted us with a couple jars of brandied plums. When I saw those in the fridge, I gave up on the pineapple idea, then the whole idea of pork. This would just meld beautifully with beef so changed plans completely, and we are so glad I did.

Bacon lace wraps. Gonna pre-cook it under the broiler for a few minutes to ensure not to have soggy bacon on the steaks
004.jpg

Bacon gently cooked
005.jpg

Got the brandied plum compote going. This needs to cook a bit to reduce
006.jpg

The steaks.
007.jpg

Seasoned on both sides with my beef rub
008.jpg

Add the bacon lace wrap and we are ready to go onto the Rec Tec
011.jpg

Got the cheese and garlic cream sauce going for the noodles
013.jpg

Cream sauce cooking down nicely
014.jpg

Build the Cesar salads,,,such as the building process goes :emoji_astonished:
015.jpg

Steaks on the grill. Ran low temp / extreme smoke for about 30 minutes then ran the temp up to 400*
016.jpg

Steaks done and into the house to rest for a few minutes
018.jpg

Noodles done and the cheesy cream sauce mixed into them
019.jpg

Plate built. Just a couple more steps to go
020.jpg

Add the dressing to the salad and compote to the steak. Money shot(s). This was too beautiful not to take multiple pics of
021.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

This was one superb meal!! We have been eating a bit weird the past couple days and I just figured it was time to do something nice...and I managed to pull it off. First time I've ever made compote but it was incredible!! I chose to use my maple and brown sugar bacon thinking it would be a good flavor transition between the succulent steaks, which were perfectly cooked, and the sweet of the compote. It worked amazingly well. The flavors blended and melded beautifully. Noodles were rich and creamy, exactly as I'd hoped. There is just something simple and basic about a Cesar salad that's often overlooked as being too plain. Not the case. It was the perfect accompaniment to this meal. Tracy wasn't sure about the compote so she put hers on the side...then promptly went back and got some more. The bacon laced steaks were superb but the compote is what really set this meal over the top. Simply put again...this is at the top of the most flavorful and fun meals I've ever done. I'm now getting ideas from Tracy for different compote / meat combinations. This could be a lot of fun going forward :emoji_laughing:

Oh well...thanks for dropping in and see y'all again soon I hope,
Robert

Looks delcious Robert. The pairing of beef and plum is interesting for sure. The cheese sauce looks creamy. Whole meal is money!!

Everything looks absolutely delicious, Robert! You hit another one out of the park.

Extra quarters for your carousel ride because of creativity!

Damn Robert that is a beautiful money shot of that steak. That whole plate looks incredible. I'm pretty sure HR is going to start wondering why I am ordering so many new keyboards...all the drool is shorting them out! Big LIKE my friend!

Looks delcious Robert. The pairing of beef and plum is interesting for sure. The cheese sauce looks creamy. Whole meal is money!!

Thank you Jeff. The pairing of the brandied plums and beef was spectacular!! Creamy garlic cheese sauce was sort of an off-the-cuff thing I put together and was WAY better than anything store bought. We really enjoyed it.

Robert

Everything looks absolutely delicious, Robert! You hit another one out of the park.

Thank you Joe!! I'm not a big baseball fan but if I remember correctly from my childhood, I guess I'm batting about .205 right now :emoji_wink:

Extra quarters for your carousel ride because of creativity!

Appreciate the recognition of the creativity and the quarters for the ride. I thought this one might get a nod but apparently not. That's ok though. It just brings a little better understanding of things are here and how stuff works.

Robert

Damn Robert that is a beautiful money shot of that steak. That whole plate looks incredible. I'm pretty sure HR is going to start wondering why I am ordering so many new keyboards...all the drool is shorting them out! Big LIKE my friend!

Damn John...you and Sandy are keeping the keyboard manufacturers in business, that's for sure :emoji_laughing: Thanks so much for the kind words. What's weird is that this started out to be pork and pineapple compote then went to beef with the brandied plum compote. Talk about doing a complete 180!! That's OK though because I still have the pork and pineapple in reserve....or maybe doing the pineapple with turkey...and bacon...and some sort of cheese....Hell, I don't know :emoji_astonished:

Pondering the possibilities,
Robert

Great meal an awesome treat for your self. Like the ideas and the finish plate.

Warren

Thank you Warren. Very much appreciate the accolades. The idea was pretty simple actually but sure had some great results.

Robert

Good looking meal here. I like the idea of mixing all of the flavors with the beef! This is giving me inspiration to do something like this with some venison steaks I have in the freezer.

Good looking meal here. I like the idea of mixing all of the flavors with the beef! This is giving me inspiration to do something like this with some venison steaks I have in the freezer.

Thank you!! I have three words of advice for you: GO FOR IT!! The compote would be excellent with venison and I bet my beef rub would be also. You may find the "gaminess" of the venison goes really well with the plum flavor and I know bacon goes well with venison. You might be onto a great idea for a spectacular meal.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky