Anyone know anything about the Meco - 5030 Electric Smoker And Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

halfevl333

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Las Vegas NV
I have a Big Chief smoker and it works OK, as long as you follow the instructions and finish in the oven or grill.  But I am considering something better.  I wish I could blow $200 or more but unfortunately being on disability, I am limited to around $100 or less (preferably less) which I know pretty much limits what I can buy.  I would like to smoke chickens, roasts, perhaps even a turkey.

I did a search and this smoker came up in the price range I searched for.

Any suggestions?

At $117 on Amazon it is most certainly one of the least expensive on the market. The customer reviews show that half the people like it and half don't recommend it. That 50% approval would worry me. If you were careful with it, might be a good unit to learn on. As they say "you get what you pay for". The WSM is a lot more costly but like any other tool, In the long run, it pays  to buy quality.   IMHO

Last edited:
Try Craigslist, I just did a search in my region, and there were lots for sale.

Here's a hint, Search in the For Sale on "smoker -non"

This will make it search for "Smoker", but exclude all the ads that say Non cigarette smoking house, etc.

If you don't put "-non", it will find all the ads that mention "non-smoker" (as in non cigarette smoker)

Thanks for the replies...  I have been watching BBq Pitmasters and eating my heart out wishing I could cook some of the stuff the contestants made...   If I take a few months I can probably save up about $150 give or take a buck or two...  I will check out the sources you listed...  Thanks again...  

Meco stuff is garbage.
A lot of people like the Old Smokey:

You may be able to find a better price than that.
~Martin
A question... How do you add more wood to it?  Do you open the top and pull inside rack up to add wood?  And what temperatures does it go to?  Is it good enough to cook/smoke a turkey or chicken or roasts and ribs??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky