General question about brisket and internal temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PongGod

Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
I have about 10 years of experience as a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) owner, but my results smoking briskets has always been very hit or miss. The guidance I've had suggests that once it reaches somewhere in the 200-205F range internal, then it's time to pull it and let it rest (wrapped, of course). Whether it was wrapped at some point prior to reaching that temperature shouldn't make a difference. And just to be clear, I tend to work with smaller briskets, 6-10 pounds, because I've had better luck with those. Personally, I prefer just cooking the point.

My question is... how long to let it rest? The reason I ask is that given the PBC runs relatively hot (at least for the first several hours), the time it takes to reach that target temperature is likely to be much less than with a more traditional smoker holding at lower temperatures. So, for example, if my brisket reaches the target temperature in 5 hours versus 10 hours with some other smoker, would each require the same resting time? I would think not, but I'm having a hard time zeroing in on a reliable strategy for this.

Or perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's a given that you can't formulate a reliable, set-it-and-forget-it type of strategy for something as finnicky as a brisket. Maybe the resting time should be determined solely by the feel of how easy it is to slide the temperature probe in and out to know when it's truly ready. This is something I've read in other comments.

Anyway, I just purchased a new Oklahoma Joe's Bronco drum smoker, which is quite similar in design to the PBC, but with many additional (and presumably beneficial) features. So I'm hoping to be prepared for success when I try my first brisket in that bad boy. Any tips are appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
I have about 10 years of experience as a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) owner, but my results smoking briskets has always been very hit or miss. The guidance I've had suggests that once it reaches somewhere in the 200-205F range internal, then it's time to pull it and let it rest (wrapped, of course). Whether it was wrapped at some point prior to reaching that temperature shouldn't make a difference. And just to be clear, I tend to work with smaller briskets, 6-10 pounds, because I've had better luck with those. Personally, I prefer just cooking the point.

My question is... how long to let it rest? The reason I ask is that given the PBC runs relatively hot (at least for the first several hours), the time it takes to reach that target temperature is likely to be much less than with a more traditional smoker holding at lower temperatures. So, for example, if my brisket reaches the target temperature in 5 hours versus 10 hours with some other smoker, would each require the same resting time? I would think not, but I'm having a hard time zeroing in on a reliable strategy for this.

Or perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's a given that you can't formulate a reliable, set-it-and-forget-it type of strategy for something as finnicky as a brisket. Maybe the resting time should be determined solely by the feel of how easy it is to slide the temperature probe in and out to know when it's truly ready. This is something I've read in other comments.

Anyway, I just purchased a new Oklahoma Joe's Bronco drum smoker, which is quite similar in design to the PBC, but with many additional (and presumably beneficial) features. So I'm hoping to be prepared for success when I try my first brisket in that bad boy. Any tips are appreciated!
Hi there and welcome!

The rest shouldn't really be too big of a deal but will change a little depending on how big your brisket is.
In general, I find it best to let a brisket rest until it cools down enough to not tear up while slicing it. If it's too hot it will want to come apart more than if it's at like 160-165F temp.

So with that said, how you rest it matters.
I do whole packer briskets and like them no smaller than 15lbs. I trim away the thin portion of the brisket leaving behind a uniform thickness in the flat. I trim in a tear drop shape so it cooks more evenly without corners getting dried out.
full-png.png

Now you mention you cook a brisket to 200-205F internal temp.
The rule on brisket is that it is never done by time or temp, only when it is tender.

You let the Internal Temp (IT) tell you went to check. For Prime briskets I check at 198F IT. For all other lower grades I check at like 201F IT.

You check for tenderness by stabbing ALL OVER with something like a wooden kabob skewer and if it goes in with no resistance it is tender and done. If you find a spot that is giving resistance then let the IT rise a couple of degrees and try again. Repeat until tender.
NOW, if you find a not tender spot, I bet you money that if you move your temp probe to that spot you will see the brisket reading a much lower temp the other parts :D

If you are doing ONLY a flat, the I would suggest wrapping it at 180-190F with a little added liquid to prevent it from drying out.

I only do whole packers so drying out is not really an issue.

My rest procedure is to tightly double wrap in foil. Then wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the kitchen table/counter and let it rest for 4 hours.
Why 4 hours? This is about the time it takes with that wrapping to get to cutting temp where it doesn't want to shred easily and is still piping hot to eat (still a safe temp to eat as well).

I have my briskets down pat. I do about 2 every 3 months or so because that's about how often they go on sale here in brisket land (Texas). So you can see I do a good number of them each year :D

I hope this info helps and ask any questions you have :D

You seem to be describing a hot and fast brisket cook. Those are fine but generally need a piece of Prime grade or very good quality choice piece of meat. If a lower end piece of choice or a select grade piece is used then low and slow is best for sure and the extra hours are really needed.
I cook brisket by temp up to about 190-200F then no more temp checking only probing everywhere for tenderness. The probe should go in and out with the same resistance as pushing the probe into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Then it’s done. This temp can be anywhere from 200-215F but usually hits around 203-205F but you never know it may need 210 or 212F that’s why I finish by probe feel not temp.

Most big successful BBQ places cook tomorrows meat today so the hold time is long at usually 150F for 12-20 hours. That said using good practices excellent brisket can be made in the back yard with minimal hold times.

Thanks for the input. So you seem to be confirming my suspicion that there is no reliable rest period regardless of how long it takes to reach the target internal temp. So if I reach that temp and decide to do the probe test and find that it's still not fully tender, should I just leave it in the smoker (at a safely low temperature) and wait until it is sufficiently tender throughout and only THEN remove it for some reasonable rest period? As I mentioned in the original post, I prefer to cook the points because they're relatively small and fatty (yum!) so I shouldn't have to add any liquid for the rest period.

You seem to be describing a hot and fast brisket cook. Those are fine but generally need a piece of Prime grade or very good quality choice piece of meat. If a lower end piece of choice or a select grade piece is used then low and slow is best for sure and the extra hours are really needed.
I cook brisket by temp up to about 190-200F then no more temp checking only probing everywhere for tenderness. The probe should go in and out with the same resistance as pushing the probe into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Then it’s done. This temp can be anywhere from 200-215F but usually hits around 203-205F but you never know it may need 210 or 212F that’s why I finish by probe feel not temp.

Most big successful BBQ places cook tomorrows meat today so the hold time is long at usually 150F for 12-20 hours. That said using good practices excellent brisket can be made in the back yard with minimal hold times.
Yes, it's hot and fast only because that's how the PBC works. Now that I'm retiring it in favor of the Bronco, I should have much better control over the temps and be able to drag the cook out to 8-10 hours or even longer. I've heard some users have gotten 14-15 hours of cook time on the Bronco with one basket of charcoal.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yes, it's hot and fast only because that's how the PBC works. Now that I'm retiring it in favor of the Bronco, I should have much better control over the temps and be able to drag the cook out to 8-10 hours or even longer. I've heard some users have gotten 14-15 hours of cook time on the Bronco with one basket of charcoal.
Ditch that probe thermometer once the temp gets close to 200F and then use feel as in probe resistance to finish the meat and you will be famous. Never cook brisket to a final IT only till it feels right.

Reactions: tallbm and PongGod
Thanks for the input. So you seem to be confirming my suspicion that there is no reliable rest period regardless of how long it takes to reach the target internal temp. So if I reach that temp and decide to do the probe test and find that it's still not fully tender, should I just leave it in the smoker (at a safely low temperature) and wait until it is sufficiently tender throughout and only THEN remove it for some reasonable rest period? As I mentioned in the original post, I prefer to cook the points because they're relatively small and fatty (yum!) so I shouldn't have to add any liquid for the rest period.
Correct, waiting until it is tender is the way to go and then a reasonable rest until it hits a temp that is easy to work with and eat.

The Point is the best part to me as well :D

Finally, a brisket is undercooked when it is tough and dry.
A brisket is overcooked when it is dry and falls apart.
A brisket is burnt when it is dry and cooked to a hard crisp.

Most people encounter tough and dry which = undercooked. When it becomes tender it will be juicy with no toughness. BUT you need to check all over to ensure it's tender all over. Hence stabbing all over to check.
With a whole packer the Point gets tender WAY before the Flat. The point is hard to overcook.
The thickest yet center most portion of the Flat muscle on a whole packer brisket is usually the last spot to tender up.

I hope this info helps :D

Reactions: zwiller and PongGod
Correct, waiting until it is tender is the way to go and then a reasonable rest until it hits a temp that is easy to work with and eat.

The Point is the best part to me as well :D

Finally, a brisket is undercooked when it is tough and dry.
A brisket is overcooked when it is dry and falls apart.
A brisket is burnt when it is dry and cooked to a hard crisp.

Most people encounter tough and dry which = undercooked. When it becomes tender it will be juicy with no toughness. BUT you need to check all over to ensure it's tender all over. Hence stabbing all over to check.
With a whole packer the Point gets tender WAY before the Flat. The point is hard to overcook.
The thickest yet center most portion of the Flat muscle on a whole packer brisket is usually the last spot to tender up.

I hope this info helps :D
All that info sure helped me. Thanks tallbm tallbm !

Reactions: PongGod and tallbm
All that info sure helped me. Thanks tallbm tallbm !
Glad it helped.

Oh I forgot to mention. The thickest yet center most portion of the flat muscle that tenders up last is also the spot to aim for with your temp probes. If it's not tender it usually reads a lower temp.

I have discovered that it is easy to miss that perfect spot with temp probes so I use 3 probes from different angles aiming for that spot and usually 1 lands. How do I know 1 lands? It's the one that reads the lowest and when it gets to about 202-203 that is often when that last tough spot tenders up lol.

I firmly believe this is why people get such a wide range of temps for a brisket to be finished. Because the tough spot will read 203F and the other probes that missed will be reading like 205-208F or even higher if I missed worse hahaha.

Do NOT put the probe in the point even though it's thicker. IT's full of so much fat that it heats up and tenders up so much faster and this also fools people into thinking the brisket is ready and it's not because the flat is still lagging way behind :D

Reactions: PongGod
I was an inveterate “prober” for years. Now, I smoke at 210-220 for sufficient time to get smoke on the meat and develop the bark. All things considered, I usually end up with a good result bark and smoke-wise at about 146-150 IT in the interface between the point and the flat. At that point I wrap in foil, and stick it back in the smoker at 285 or so until I hit 180-185 with the probe in the same place. When it gets there, I turn it down to 145, and leave it alone until the next day.
It never fails to impress. Never had an over or undercooked brisket with this method

Reactions: zwiller and PongGod
Well, armed with some of the ideas I gathered on this thread, I attempted my first brisket on my new OKJ Bronco Drum Smoker. The results were quite satisfactory!

brisket1.jpg

Attachments

• brisket2.jpg
    brisket2.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 53
  • brisket3.jpg
    brisket3.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 51
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky