Another pork aspic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
From the same side of pig i shown in the headcheese/organ sausage thread.

https://smokingmeatforums.com/threads/no-christmas-without-headcheese-and-organ-sausage.270767/
2 trotters, 2 ears, spices and 1 carrot (not in the picture)....in the pressure cooker.
20171221_164223.jpg

Feet/ears after 2 h in the pressure cooker
20171221_202119.jpg

Picked the good stuff from the bowl and split it between three casserole dishes like this one
20171221_212524.jpg

Then they go in the cold room to spend the night.

Looks like this when congealed.
20171223_090658.jpg

Will scrape some of the fat (not on my share) , sprinkle it with good paprika and serve with horseradish.

Recipe must be cousin to hog head cheese. Looks good.
Old school recipes. Made in the dead of winter back then they didnt have many ingredients: garlic, dry spices, some root vegs. So headcheese, terrine, aspic all have the same foundation. More or less stock in the final product.

Also the pig part is relevant: head is a bit too fatty for aspic. Having a spoonful of cold fat in front of you (in an aspic serving) is not the same as fat mixed with meat in a sliced headcheese. I think.

Thanks for the reply...

BTW, what is your avatar a picture of?
One of my skis. Atomic Model "nomad smoke". Didnt realize until after i got them how well they represent me: nomad (i am an immigrant) ...smoke - doesn't need 'splaining.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky