Exploring Low Carb, Healthy Fat, Moderate Protein Diet - Not Keto Quite Yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update: weight is down 25 lbs. We're eating WAY more veggies, salads, nuts, and seeds. Protein (30% of daily calories) and healthy fats (50-55% of daily calories) keep me in a decent mood, feeling energized. I do take 600mg of berberine (nature's metformin) in the evening (after 8 PM), but not during the day because it messes with my head. I also drink a water, ACV, soluble fiber concoction before each meal and before bed.

I prick a finger 6-10 times a day and spreadsheet my blood glucose readings, then calculate my hbA1C and average it over time. It has dropped in 6 months from 6.2 to 5.8. Making progress, but not there yet. My plan is to lose 80 more lbs one day at a time, exercise regularly, and get my A1C under 5.

The first 4 months was me experimenting. I started dialing in what works for me the 5th month, and have refined it this last month.

Sure had fun getting fat. Now, getting slimmer has been easier than expected. And it's been kinda fun patiently figuring out what works for me. My health system offered only canned approaches that were too restrictive or outdated (too many carbs). Real doctors on YouTube, viewed with caution, provided me with ideas to try. My body. My plan. And it's working.

Reactions: GatorAGR
Update: weight is down 25 lbs. We're eating WAY more veggies, salads, nuts, and seeds. Protein (30% of daily calories) and healthy fats (50-55% of daily calories) keep me in a decent mood, feeling energized. I do take 600mg of berberine (nature's metformin) in the evening (after 8 PM), but not during the day because it messes with my head. I also drink a water, ACV, soluble fiber concoction before each meal and before bed.

I prick a finger 6-10 times a day and spreadsheet my blood glucose readings, then calculate my hbA1C and average it over time. It has dropped in 6 months from 6.2 to 5.8. Making progress, but not there yet. My plan is to lose 80 more lbs one day at a time, exercise regularly, and get my A1C under 5.

The first 4 months was me experimenting. I started dialing in what works for me the 5th month, and have refined it this last month.

Sure had fun getting fat. Now, getting slimmer has been easier than expected. And it's been kinda fun patiently figuring out what works for me. My health system offered only canned approaches that were too restrictive or outdated (too many carbs). Real doctors on YouTube, viewed with caution, provided me with ideas to try. My body. My plan. And it's working.
Congrats on the success man!

Yeah it's definitely an experimental journey. If I could drop 20-25 pounds I might be at a point to just maintain for the rest of my life.
I've dropped a good amount over the past 2 years. I basically do keto and after I got initial benefits I would drop slowly but then I started incorporating some real calorie counting on top of it and boom things picked up nicely.

My body is stubborn (like many) and if I look at carbs I gain weight lol. If I eat too many calories, I gain weight BUT not as badly as if I eat too many carb calories.

I also have another problem that I'm basically allergic to alcohol where I can drink it and be fine while doing so but about 12-16 hours after my body has a ton of bad reactions. I get a case of mild flu like sickness, body bloats, I am compelled to eat anything and everything that my body deems will feel better and in 5 days time can put on almost 20 pounds of bloat plus bad eating weight.
It takes about 2 weeks to a little more than half of that weight off since it is mostly bloat weight but the remaining weight sticks and undoes months of hard work losing or maintaining weight lol.
I drank on new years eve and as of this morning still need to drop 5 pounds of the weight I gained to get back to what I was the day before New Years Eve when I drank lol.

I'm back on the right track though... until Memorial day weekend where I will repeat it all again hahahaha. I only drink about 2 days a year because of this allergic/sick reaction so I imagine I'll get back to pre holiday weight gain just to undo it all again hahaha.

FYI, I've checked everything under the sun. I have this reaction to consuming any kind of alcohol and even if it's 1 beer, 1 shot, or 1 glass of wine. It's not gluten, fermentation, grain, related or anything else, it's simply just alcohol related to the point where I use non-alcohol mouthwash lol.

Ok rambling over now :P

Reactions: noboundaries
Thanks TBM, and great rambling. I'm learning more about my body now than I ever have. Maybe that's what happens with age after an accumulation of bad habits from the invincibility of youth. And maybe it's peering into the abyss of immobility if things don't change. Whatever the cause, I'm enjoying the transition.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky