Ancestory

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
50% Irish, 25% German and the other 25% is a mix of Dutch, Native American, Scotish, English and God only knows what else.

Basically what it means is...I like to drink, but when I do, I try and take over a country. LOL

100% Poish here. My grandmother taught my Mother and aunt how to makefresh kKielbasa which they would do every Christmas. My father passed away earlier this year and since my Mother does not want to make the trip to my Aunt's alone (4 hour drive), she decided to teach me the craft this past weekend and I am loving it.

Blue,
Sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure the holidays are a tougher time. My thoughts are with you. But great story about the baton of Kielbasa making being passed down to you. You're doing the family proud.

Mostly Danish here. Great-Grandpa (who was always called Granddad, probably for the same reasons as noted above) migrated over from Denmark. He met his wife, also from Denmark, here in Arizona while he was a stable boy and she was housekeeper. He later became a large rancher (sheep and cattle). Danish on both my mom and dad's side. Some Irish and a little bit of English. 100% American though. Had a step-grandpa from Spain, so he taught me some of that cooking as well. He was more a best friend than a grandpa though. I miss him.

Scottish. Went on a trip up through Scotland and had a fantastic time. I can handle the haggis but you can keep the blood sausage. Flew into Ayers and rented a car and drove up to Inverness. The guy just said stay on the left side of the road. Wow what a trip incredible food and the most remarkable people. No itinerary just landed where we landed.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Scot, Irish, Welsh with some German and Danish tossed in to give me some class. lol

I love the pipes and the Scot/Irish heritage and somewhere in these pages, you''ll find a pic of me wearing my kilt! And way down the family line on my Dad's side I have a great grand father that was knighted by Queen Victoria.

Dang I almost forgot an important part our our heritage. During the dirty thirtys when most people in our town were dirt poor as there was no industry. Our Family thrived in the worst years of the 30s because One of my Granddads made shine and to Quote my mother a kind of "really rude rum" which he bootlegged across the border on a regular basis. Our small family orchard was right on the 49th parallel which is the USA/Canada border. I could take 10 steps from our back door and be in the States. Grandad said the hardest part was keeping it under wraps and looking poor so no-one would know about his real trade. When I was a teen in the 1960s We made hard cider out of windfall apples which we got very cheapor sometimes free. ( It was about 10 % alcohol ) and sold it at school dances to our classmates. I bought my first 3 speed bike for $59.95 with my cider money. In 1966 I bought my first motorcycle a Yamaha 100 twin with cash from my cider fund. Sort of carrying on my heritage you might say.

What runs through my veins?
The most dominant is my Native American Blood, that of Cherokee and Lakota. And then second is Dutch/Irish.
I did do some tracing back and on my Dads side. It was (from now to back then) farmers to hunters and trappers as their lively-hoods. You may laugh if you want but I believe this is where I think I've adopted my hunting and trapping skills; it all come so easy. As a child, without even knowing any of my roots, I was in the woods at my grandparents farm with a bow or a gun and always tracked what I would shoot. I wouldn't wait for something to come by. And, if I shot it, I ate it. I had and still have respect for everything thats on this planet. My mother side is the Dutch/Irish and Lakota. They were all laborers except when I got into the Lakota.
I do have a rough time with columbus day, Andrew Jackson and another holiday which I will not mention so to not strike a spark. I think SalmonClubber can relate.
Wow! That kind of blood line is a sure mix for a beer drinker though. lol
--ray--

50% Lithuanian 50% Swedish. I don't remember anybody smoking meat but both sides made allot of fresh sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky