2nd Annual South Florida Gathering!! Nov 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not expecting to win. My cooking is OK, just never considered it competition worthy. Didn't plan on entering any competitions. I prefer to just eat, not compete.
drool.gif

But it's on!
LOL i was pulling your leg anyway...it's all about friendly competition  here

Hey Guys, We wont be able to make it this year, in and out of hospital and medical testing the last two weeks, and more to come. Was looking forward to it but it can't be helped.

Ron... say it ain't so... man, I was looking forward to seeing you and the Mrs. again... oh well.. hope everything turns out ok for ya Bub... prayers for ya...

maybe next year If we do it again... sounds like it's gonna be a little smaller turn out than the inaugural gathering... but we're still gonna have a blast tho....

Not expecting to win. My cooking is OK, just never considered it competition worthy. Didn't plan on entering any competitions. I prefer to just eat, not compete.:drool  
But it's on!

Don.. It's not a real competition... We just get some people from the campground to be the judges (lucky them)... That's why we call it a "friendly" competition... I don't expect to win ether.. that way I don't get disappointed... We use the chicken comp for lunch and the rib comp for dinner... so go ahead and do the ribs as well... we like to taste each others smokes to maybe get some ideas to change our own recipe... It's all in fun...

We also do other items as well... I still haven't made up my mind on what else I'm gonna do.. kinda leaning towards the Scotch Eggs

Last edited:
Hey Doug

Add my name to the list for tent site, the camper fell thru. For the comp I'm doing both chicken, and ribs. I thought about doing some steak bites, and some grilled mushroom's for munchies during the day. I'm heading down early Sat morning.  

I am sorry to do this again. Was just told I have to attend a mandatory meeting Saturday afternoon. So I will not be making it down even for the day. I have to be at work at 3am on Sunday, means early to bed for this guy.

Hope you all have fun. Looks like amazing weather is in line for the weekend too....

Going to try to make it up there Sat. just for the day. It would be nice to meet folks and see their smoking techniques. Wouldn't be able to doing anything beforehand or bring smoker (kinda hard to fit it into a Honda Civic...dang I miss my truck
th_crybaby2.gif
) but I could bring a cooler & case of Corona? Maybe rub down some ribs and put on ice? Ideas? Gotta keep it real though as I'm not working but still gotta have fun and be social.

Last edited:
Hey Doug

Looks like a buddy of mine, and his girl  might be coming along with me . They will be camping as well so add 2 to my list. Thanks!

Going to try to make it up there Sat. just for the day. It would be nice to meet folks and see their smoking techniques. Wouldn't be able to doing anything beforehand or bring smoker (kinda hard to fit it into a Honda Civic...dang I miss my truck :th_crybaby2: ) but I could bring a cooler & case of Corona? Maybe rub down some ribs and put on ice? Ideas? Gotta keep it real though as I'm not working but still gotta have fun and be social.

That would be great... myself, I am only bringing my little Mini WSM and will have 2 racks of ribs in it.. so really no room for more... If anybody else will have room in there smoker for Roadkill to put a rack of ribs in.. let him know...

I want to express to anybody that feels they can't come because they can't bring a smoker and contribute... That is by no means a reason to not come and spend the day or weekend with some of the SMF family... That's what it's really all about.. just getting together and making new friends...

Going to try to make it up there Sat. just for the day. It would be nice to meet folks and see their smoking techniques. Wouldn't be able to doing anything beforehand or bring smoker (kinda hard to fit it into a Honda Civic...dang I miss my truck
th_crybaby2.gif
) but I could bring a cooler & case of Corona? Maybe rub down some ribs and put on ice? Ideas? Gotta keep it real though as I'm not working but still gotta have fun and be social.
Roadkill your more then welcome to use my smoker and i'm sure there will be room on others as well. also if you dont have time to prep food, beer always works as well :) it's all about meetin' good people, fun times and learning and laughing!
Hey Doug

Looks like a buddy of mine, and his girl  might be coming along with me . They will be camping as well so add 2 to my list. Thanks!
Hey bill can you give me his first and last name, they want me to turn in a roster for the group site. thanks
I want to express to anybody that feels they can't come because they can't bring a smoker and contribute... That is by no means a reason to not come and spend the day or weekend with some of the SMF family... That's what it's really all about.. just getting together and making new friends...
Ditto! just your presence is all that is required...

Firewood...Ron was gonna bring firewood for the campfires friday and saturday night. i can pick up a couple bags of wood from home depot and i have a couple big logs at my house but my truck is already pretty full. does anyone have access to firewood? they have some for sale at Fish Eating Creek but last year it was kind of overpriced and green. if anyone has extra room in there vehicle and wanna pick up some from home depot or lowes that'd be great. we dont need a ton but wanna be prepared:)

If anyone wants my cell phone number let send me a PM and i'll give it to you if you wanna call for directions or anything else. if i post it on here the whole internet can search for it

can't wait! prepping my gear right now!!

OK.. all loaded up and ready to pull out.. Myself I'm already loaded down pretty good.. really looking forward to this..

I also picked up some japs and all the filling to make about 50 ABT's

Checking-in.  The four of us, in two parties, are heading out mid to late afternoon tomorrow from Broward.  Looking forward to it; the weather is going to be great!  Stopped by the meat market today and loaded up with ribs, a butt, and a full brisket.  I am up for a group participation smoking of the brisket for the practice....I have only done one small 10 lb'er before.  Work has kept me too busy, so I do not feel 100% in the fix'ins for competition level rubs and sauces....I'll be bringing ingredients and working on the fly.  My wife will be making my family's handed down potato salad recipe.

See everybody there.

had a hiccup and left my wallet in the publix parking lot....thankfully i found it before someone else did.

hitting the road! see y'all there!!!

for all those spectators i'll be updating as stuff happens! stay tuned!

Checking-in.  The four of us, in two parties, are heading out mid to late afternoon tomorrow from Broward.  Looking forward to it; the weather is going to be great!  Stopped by the meat market today and loaded up with ribs, a butt, and a full brisket.  I am up for a group participation smoking of the brisket for the practice....I have only done one small 10 lb'er before.  Work has kept me too busy, so I do not feel 100% in the fix'ins for competition level rubs and sauces....I'll be bringing ingredients and working on the fly.  My wife will be making my family's handed down potato salad recipe.

See everybody there.

Mnpque...just want to make sure....are you.coming today (Friday) or Saturday

Decided not to pull the girls out of school early so running a little later than originally planned but heading out now. Should be there 6:30 - 7:00.
yahoo.gif

Also joining the rib comp
first.gif
lol

Last edited:
As many of you may have noticed, I am not there, much to my great regret.

Wedding in 13 more days, just no time for fun.

However, I am smoking pork ribs tomorrow in honor of our fallen comrad, Scarbelly.

Please take a minute of silence with me at 1:00 when I light off the stack.

Also need to ask if there's a musician in the crowd who would like to work on some BBQ music with me.

(O-Yeah, Baby! Down 'n' dirty, smokey 'n' flirty, bad to the bone, pull my pork, swamp style BBQ Blues.)

Hope all y'all are having a great time,

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky