22" WSM running too hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have the Digiq, and it can't hold a temp.  I used it on my 18," and it worked flawlessly but on my 22" the temps rise to over 400 f with the controller set to 240.  I have been filling the basket with the original blue bag, and I use the minion method, ashing three or four pieces.  The temps will hold for a few hours then it skyrockets even if I remove the controller and close the vent.  After I add the lit charcoal I will place 2-3 small splits on top of the charcoal.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
See if your side door is leaking they are notorious for this. I reshaped mine and after several cooks the seasoning sealed it up. You can also get a SS door from Cajun Bandit.

http://www.cajunbandit.com/Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Upgrade-Parts-s/140.htm

On a side note I use around 5 chunks in ours about the size of a tennis ball. I bury them in the charcoal and place one in the center for my first bit of smoke.

I hope this helps. :)

I have found on my cyberq that if I open the lid and leave off, it will skyrocket.  any air opening in addition to it will cause it.  I have learned to unplug my fan and grill temp sensor (so it doesn't blow due to loss of heat from lid)  while I open lid and close quick, do what I need to do with ribs, then open and close lid and re-connect everything.  I also added a gasket around the door from my nearby fireplace and grill store.

Last edited:

See if your side door is leaking they are notorious for this. I reshaped mine and after several cooks the seasoning sealed it up. You can also get a SS door from Cajun Bandit.

http://www.cajunbandit.com/Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Upgrade-Parts-s/140.htm

On a side note I use around 5 chunks in ours about the size of a tennis ball. I bury them in the charcoal and place one in the center for my first bit of smoke.

I hope this helps. :)
I upgraded the door to my 18" so maybe that is one of the differences.  I'm excited to get my Hunsaker Vortex to see if that helps.

Last edited:

I have found on my cyberq that if I open the lid and leave off, it will skyrocket.  any air opening in addition to it will cause it.  I have learned to unplug my fan and grill temp sensor (so it doesn't blow due to loss of heat from lid)  while I open lid and close quick, do what I need to do with ribs, then open and close lid and re-connect everything.  I also added a gasket around the door from my nearby fireplace and grill store.
That's a good idea about disconnecting the probe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky