2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There must have been multiple "all stainless" MES40 models sold by Cabela's in the past. I got mine at Cabela's in 2011 and the tag on the back of the unit shows that the model  number is 20070710. I doubt that this matters to anyone but I just thought I would clarify this.

4834fdbf_Smokerserialnumbertag.jpg
That's interesting. I checked around and apparently they have periodically made little changes and put out similar units with different part #'s . The 20070710 was introduced in 2010. The 20070311 came out in 2011...These Masterbuilt guys are so tricky!...JJ

Interesting. This morning I took a look at Cabela's (the new model had been down to 3-4 weeks backorder), and the new AND old window models, 30" and 40", are missing.

Newbie newbie here. Before I ordered the 2012 model from Cabala's, I called the 800# and they said it was a 1200 watt on the 40" and 800 on the 30". The vent is suppose to be on the side.? It is to help with hot spots. The new # is 20070512, 40" and 2007 0312, 30". They have not changed the internet site to show the new model, as of this morning. I sure am going to check the box before I accept it. 650 watts doesn't cut it for central MN. Alarm bells going off now.

That's a good sign! Come on 40" at Sam's! Lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Big News

Cabelas  has on their website that they have the 2012 MES 40 in stock. Not sure if they are physically in the stores but the are showing as in stock on the website. The 30 inch is still back ordered. I just ordered online to for store pickup so I could get my points, airline miles etc.  Waiting for the email that says to come pick it up. Will keep you all posted.

LET THE SMOKING BEGIN

If they haven't done anything about the electronics, and if they have in fact reduced the wattage for the element, my advice - that of a fairly recent MES40 owner - would be to stay away from it.

My 40 does OK with heat and recovery, though I HAVE had some problems maintaining 275*. The problem with the one I have is that the electronics are crap. One must set both temp and time in order for the element to heat. The $30 Maverick ET-73 doesn't have to trip a circuit to start an element, but it allows you to set both and choose to have either or both notify you when thresholds are crossed.

Focus on the electronics as well as the wattage of the heating element. I find it difficult to believe that many would be satisfied to pay that much for what appears to be so little in the way of improvements.

JM2C

If they haven't done anything about the electronics, and if they have in fact reduced the wattage for the element, my advice - that of a fairly recent MES40 owner - would be to stay away from it.
My 40 does OK with heat and recovery, though I HAVE had some problems maintaining 275*. The problem with the one I have is that the electronics are crap. One must set both temp and time in order for the element to heat. The $30 Maverick ET-73 doesn't have to trip a circuit to start an element, but it allows you to set both and choose to have either or both notify you when thresholds are crossed.
Focus on the electronics as well as the wattage of the heating element. I find it difficult to believe that many would be satisfied to pay that much for what appears to be so little in the way of improvements.
JM2C
I talked to a gentleman at Masterbuilt about a month ago and he told me ( and you can take this for what it is worth.) the reason there is a delay with this is because the were reworking the control system, making improvements on the internal thermometer and venting along with reversing the door,  I talked to him for about 10 minutes and seemed very knowledgeable about the product.  Whether he was blowing smoke ( no pun intended) I cannot tell you.  He also told me there was a 1200 watt element but that earlier models also had that.

Will keep you updated when I get it

JM2C
It says that right in the manual.  Why is this an issue? 

Bigfish

I talked to a gentleman at Masterbuilt about a month ago and he told me ( and you can take this for what it is worth.) the reason there is a delay with this is because the were reworking the control system, making improvements on the internal thermometer and venting along with reversing the door, I talked to him for about 10 minutes and seemed very knowledgeable about the product. Whether he was blowing smoke ( no pun intended) I cannot tell you. He also told me there was a 1200 watt element but that earlier models also had that.

Will keep you updated when I get it
- per jsc1234

I have sent several e-mails to the MasterBuilt 'contact us' address that have gone unanswered concerning their controls.

Originally Posted by rabbithutch View Post

JM2C

It says that right in the manual. Why is this an issue?

Bigfish

Yep, but reading the manual and smokin' meat ain't exactly compatible operations at all time. The instructions should be much clearer, IMO, warning that setting the time too short or the temp too low will kick the heating element off. But, I can live with that. I was just makin' suggestions for improvements. But, I didn't get the courtesy of a reply from them, either. The electronics would be much improved if they were more like the alarms that the ET- 73 uses to let you know that either the upper or lower temp range was exceeded and when the time is about to expire. And, I've found the range on fresh batteries to be limited. I am never more than 30-35 feet away from the smoker but it sometimes fails to signal a properly sync'd remote. And, while we're at it, why not let the remote sync anytime it signals the transmitter. And, ABOVE all else, make it more difficult to accidentally turn the unit off. There should be a confirmation cycle where you have to say "Yes, I really mean it!" because it is just to easy to hit that button. In fact it should alarm and prompt for a confirmation when it is about to go off for whatever reason, on/off button, temp upper or lower limit reaching threshold, timer near countdown. In the world of such elaborate apps on smart phones, it's fairly obvious that the technology is out there and there are people who know how to design and build better solutions.

If they have listened and improved the electronics, I will give them kudos for having done so. The will not get kudos for making changes that don't significantly improve their function in use. At least, not from me.

Hey Everyone,

First off, I am a newb to smoking but I am now a convert to using an electric smoker. In particular the new MES 20070312 30" model. I have been reading about MES smokers for years and know all about their good smoking capabilities as well as their (sometimes dreadful) shortcomings. When I saw (on this forum) that there is a new 2012 model, I decided to give up smoking with a smoker box on my Weber Summit 620 to going with a dedicated smoker. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Masterbuilt has used it's huge revenue stream to have corrected those short comings with the new model.

I purchased the unit from Basspro shops (in stock) and hope to have it in a week or so. I plan to scrutinize the build quality as well as the electronics and hope to post a review with pictures.

Thanks for having a great forum and I look forward to becoming a regular poster here!

T.T.Smoke~

JM2C
If they haven't done anything about the electronics, and if they have in fact reduced the wattage for the element, my advice - that of a fairly recent MES40 owner - would be to stay away from it. I was told and all descriptions say the unit has a 1200 watt element which I believe was in the 2011 model.

You are correct the 1200 watt element was in the 2011 model and is in the 2012 model as well.

The 30" & 40" are now both in stock at cabalas!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky