20" Pipe RF Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That one was the State Championship  His smoker got 2nd or 3rd don't remember, He didn't do any good on his brisket, (I thought it was good) but I think he was in the top 10 on his rids and chicken

Lot of fun, but lot's of hard work

Gary

Wow! I just found this whole 8 page thread just tonight.

That is an absolutely awesome build.

I am curious about the welding portion of the build. What size rods did you use for those edges? 7018's? I think it would be hard enough to do it with MIG, never mind a stick welder!

Thank You! I used Lincoln E6013 rods for all the welding. If I still had my MIG, I would have used that, but I've actually done a lot more stick welding and am better at that than MIG. I've been re-building a Sportster with my son and we're using TIG which has been very challenging to say the least.

Last edited:
Yes, unlike MIG or TIG, you have to kind of drag the stick as you make contact or it will weld itself to the piece.

I learned on stick and did it for a long time, I've just gotten spoiled by pulling the trigger and getting busy. I've lost the touch and the patience to get it back!

Beautiful smoker. Love the finish on it. And with the TBS coming out of the stack it looks awesome

Thanks for the info Geo! Are those E6013's 3/32" dia? Takes a steady hand to run them along the edges like you did. The welds should be nice and strong though!

TIG take s a lot of practice but is such a civilized way to weld!

Thanks for the info Geo! Are those E6013's 3/32" dia? Takes a steady hand to run them along the edges like you did. The welds should be nice and strong though!

TIG take s a lot of practice but is such a civilized way to weld!
Sorry, I haven't been checking my post and I'm not receiving notices that someone posted. The rods I used were 1/8"

Started a 12 pound brisket this morning

And I just had to make more Bacon Candy while I've got the smoker's goin'

6 hrs in, time to wrap this baby up and back in the heat for 6 more

Bacon Candy after 2 hrs, 2 more to go.

Brisket turned out good and juicy and ahead of schedule.

Good smoke ring.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking brisket   Good Job

Gary

Cook an extra one  Cut it in 2 or 3 pieces and freeze it. That way when you get the urge for some great brisket, just thaw out a chunk.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky