1/4 chicken dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Cooked some 1/4 chickens on indirect. THey had been brined overnight. I put some fresh herbs on before putting them in grill.
Ran for 3/4 hour on OKI Joe on indirect. I'd put enough charcoal in that temperature in the dome stayed at 400F. The chicken was 175F and still very tender. BBQ sauce out of Steve Raichlin's Sauces rubs and marinades book.

20210704_170428.jpg
20210704_172457.jpg
20210704_180532.jpg
20210704_182921.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking chicken. If that skin is tough, don’t be afraid to hit it with a propane torch. The skin will shrink before your very eyes and crisp up. It’s amazing. There is a tip for you.

Reactions: jcam222
Good looking chicken. If that skin is tough, don’t be afraid to hit it with a propane torch. The skin will shrink before your very eyes and crisp up. It’s amazing. There is a tip for you.
THanks. Would putting chicken skin side down on direct work.

THanks. Would putting chicken skin side down on direct work.
Yes if you are at grilling temp. 400ish degrees for a final sear.
You would need to smoke first, then sear over high heat to crisp the skin. Or just smoke it then hit it with the propane. Same, same but faster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky