Wings on a weber kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brewandque

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Hey all,

I have a couple bags of wings in the freezer and looking for some advice. I know if I put them in the kettle frozen they will cook just fine but getting rub to adhear could be a problem. Is it better to thaw them? Or if frozen is OK, any ideas for getting the rub to stick. I guess I could spray them with cooking spray. Appreciate your thoughts.

Never cooked frozen wings and don't have a kettle 😒. If I didn't want to thaw I would probably spray them with some Pam or put in a zip lock bag and massage with oil. Rub should stick pretty good with those options.

Keith

i have tried cooking frozen wings on a grill and spraying with pam it doesn't really work, using oil works a little better. best is still defrosting.

Not sure how I missed a thread with that title. I love my kettle wings, but can honestly say I've never heard of doing them frozen. There are some frozen rib threads here that sound like it works but I've never tried that either.

I would thaw them out. Dry them completely and let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight. I think cooking them from frozen staying damp most of the cook would result in rubbery skin

Reactions: masssmoke
Here is how I do it:
1. No need to thaw. . .Steam the wings for 15-20 minutes. Step by step below says 10 minutes but I bumped it to 15-20 minutes depending on how many wing you are smoking and if they are fresh or frozen.
2. Place the steamed wings on a grated half sheet and put into the refrigerator for at least an hour or more depending when you will smoke them.
3. When ready to smoke coat with oil (I use olive) and choice of seasoning.
4. Place wings on the cooking grate with the vortex blazing and choice of hardwood.
5. After 45 minutes. . . Coat with your favorite sauce and. . .Perfect wings every time!

Here is the step by step:

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Here's the finished product. I cooked frozen for 35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Then did small batches directly over the coals to crisp them up. They turned out good, nice char. I should've done about 3 more minutes over direct coals to crisp skin a little more.

Attachments

• 20240630_175932.jpg
    20240630_175932.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240630_170925.jpg
    20240630_170925.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: BigW. and jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky