Injecting a turkey before smoking, question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lakedawgs

Original poster
May 24, 2009
Central Indiana
Howdy,
I am smoking a 13# turkey on my Weber kettle using the snake method and have a question about injecting. Way back we would inject turkeys with Grand Marnier before roasting and get really good results. Any tips or advice on injecting the bird before smoking would be appreciated. Planning to run it at 250-275 degrees.
THANKS
Lakedawgs

Woah, a Grand Marnier injection sounds pretty good. Was this straight, or did you have any butter or broth it was mixed into?

Did you have a specific question about turkey injections? They can range from a simple flavor brine (salt, sugar, water or apple juice) to a more complex injectable brine. Here is one I got from Old Dave many moons ago:

I like a brine based off of "Shakes" Injectable Brine. This is the recipe that I use most often for all of my poultry.
32oz clean water (non-chlorinated and not softened)
1/4 cup pickling salt
2 teaspoons of TenderQuick (add after the brine has cooled down).
1/3 cup clover honey
3-4 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon pickle spice
Heat it up in a sauce pan but do not boil. Cool and add Tender Quick. Injection Instructions: For a 12-15 pound turkey, inject 2 oz in each leg, 2 oz in each thigh, and 4 oz in each side of the breast. 16 oz total per turkey. I like to do the injection at least 8-10 hours before the fire.

Dave

I use Pop's brine for mine . Mostly chickens , but have done turkey also . I usually inject then soak overnight , but before going in the grill is fine .

I would maybe question doing poultry with the snake . I normally use the baskets so I can get higher cooking temp from both sides , but if you've had good results using the snake , then it sounds like a plan .

I use Pop's brine for mine . Mostly chickens , but have done turkey also . I usually inject then soak overnight , but before going in the grill is fine .

I would maybe question doing poultry with the snake . I normally use the baskets so I can get higher cooking temp from both sides , but if you've had good results using the snake , then it sounds like a plan .
I usually use my Oklahoma Joe barrel. I use the kettle for camping. How would you suggest I smoke the bird, I have always done a snake with the kettle but have never done a turkey on it.
THANKS

Reactions: chopsaw
I have injected brines before but never just Grand Marnier along, and smoked the bird. We oven roasted with Grand Marnier, just checking to make sure i am not missing something. THANKS for the good info.

How would you suggest I smoke the bird, I have always done a snake with the kettle but have never done a turkey on it.
You could use the snake if that's what you're used to . Maybe light it at both ends so you get heat on both sides .
This is a setup I use , but most of the time I put the drip pan under the cooking grate .
The thing I didn't like about this one was the pan caused the top of the bird to get dark fast .
Under the grate it colors up more evenly . The bird is on a rack if you can't tell , but I like under the grate better . I actually had this fire to hot .
20201011_144401.jpg
If you have a hinged grate position the baskets or the pile of charcoal ( you don't have to have the baskets ) under the grate opening . Let your fire settle in to the cooking temp you want . Then add however many coals every hour to both sides to maintain the temp . Might be 2 or 3 to start , then see if it needs more or less .

My comments are geared towards how I cook , which is hotter and faster with poultry . You can add wood chunks either in the fire or on the grate above the fire .

Edit : just another thought . If you're using a 22 to do a whole turkey you might have to consider that when you build your fire . I've done them for years on a 22 using the add charcoal method . That's another reason for the drip pan under the grate . It keeps the fire to the side of the bird and not under it .

I like either Tony C's or Zatarains creole butter injection on smoked turkey. Zatarains makes a spicy version of the creole butter which is also good, but hard to find.

Smoked turkey is one of my favorite cooks. I brine for 24 hours (wet brine cause I'm a purist) and inject only with unsalted butter. Watch the temp close and its to die for.

If anyone needs a reason to get a smoker, its turkey!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky