Smoked Beef Tenderloin (On Sale)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smoked Beef Tenderloin (On Sale)

Due to normally high prices, this will be only the third time I’ve ever made Beef Tenderloin in my Lifetime!!

So the normal $17.99 price was reduced to $7.99, so we couldn’t resist the treat, and this one came in at just under 7 pounds.

Instead of cutting it in two pieces & jamming them into one pan, I decided to curl it on a wire rack in a pan on it’s side, so it could sit in there without the sides touching.
I like to do this because the Smoke can still get in between & underneath, and it also won’t be sitting in any fat or juices.

Then, just like I do with my Prime Ribs, I coated it with Lea & Perrins Bold, CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder.
Then I put it in the fridge uncovered at 8 AM for a Noon Smoke.
Also put 4 Ears of Sweet Corn in 2 vacuum bags in Sous Vide Supreme @ 183° for 1 Hour.

Smoking Schedule:
11:15—Pre-heat MES to 220° and fill my 1 1/2 rows of my AMNS with Apple Dust & light one end.
12:00—Put Pan of Meat on Rack #2 of my MES, and my AMNS on the right end of the bottom rack (pull chip dumper out 2”).
2:00—-Wipe Maverick Meat Probe with alcohol wipe & insert into thickest part of Meat——IT is now 106°
2:15—-IT 113°
2:30—-IT 117°
2:45—-IT 124°
3:00—-IT 129°
3:15—-IT 134°
3:30—-IT 136°—-Open Door until Heat gets down to 150°.
3:45—-IT 138°—-Open Door until heat gets down to 110°.
3:50—-IT 139°—-Cover with foil & bring into kitchen.
4:15—-Slice enough for the two of us, add Sweet Corn & some of Mrs Bear’s Roasted Red Taters.
Take final Pics & Eat.

After eating I cut the rest up in small steaks, and packed it all into 5 Vacuum Bags, double sealed for 5 Sous Vide Re-heated meals for Mrs Bear & Myself. I froze 4 of them & kept one pack in the Fridge for a Very Near Future Supper.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

6.87 pound Beef Tenderloin @ $7.99 on sale:
IMG_1399.jpg

On Wire cooling rack in pan, seasoned & ready for Smoker:
IMG_1401.jpg

Apple Dust in AMNS & starting to smoke:
IMG_1402.jpg

4 ears of Sweet Corn in Sous Vide Supreme rack:
IMG_1406.jpg

All done & ready to remove to Kitchen:
IMG_1408.jpg

Slicing just enough for Supper for 2:
IMG_1410.jpg

Bear's first helping:
IMG_1411.jpg

Leftovers packed in 5 Vac Packs for 5 future Sous Vide Meals:
IMG_1412.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while since we bought a whole tenderloin. They are fantastic  I know that was some Great eating.

Points my friend  
points1.png

Gary

Looks delicious as usual!

Haven't seen tenderloins on sale here in a long time.

Nice score!

icon14.gif
  Al

Been a while since we bought a whole tenderloin. They are fantastic  I know that was some Great eating.

Points my friend  
points1.png

Gary
Thank You Gary!!

If they'd put them on sale more often, I'd buy them more often, because they really are Awesome, even without much fat.

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Once again a nice job and a great looking meal. We put 4 ears of corn in a gallon zip bag with a couple table spoons of water and nuke on high for 7 minutes comes ot great.Leave one corner of bag open for vent though.

points1.png

Warren

Bear that looks fantastic,I have been buying the Australian Tenderloins their not bad.

Richie

That's great stuff there. Good info with yummy food.
Is a grocery store by me that has the big cryovac tenderloins at that price by me. I'm not sure how to tell if it's good quality or not.
I will try one some day and feed the family. I'm thinking a piece of that on the grill after smoking should take it to medium well for those couple panzies , I mean the ones that don't like the redness.. [emoji]128526[/emoji]
Good post!
I think a point in the resting of this from a smoker is it can go a couple degrees over your pull temp from if it were in an oven or on the grill. Since surface temps are lower , it should have less carryover rise. [emoji]129299[/emoji]

Last edited:
That's great stuff there. Good info with yummy food.
Is a grocery store by me that has the big cryovac tenderloins at that price by me. I'm not sure how to tell if it's good quality or not.
I will try one some day and feed the family. I'm thinking a piece of that on the grill after smoking should take it to medium well for those couple panzies , I mean the ones that don't like the redness.. [emoji]128526[/emoji]
Good post!
I think a point in the resting of this from a smoker is it can go a couple degrees over your pull temp from if it were in an oven or on the grill. Since surface temps are lower , it should have less carryover rise. [emoji]129299[/emoji]
Yup---When I smoke my Prime Ribs & Tenderloins, etc at about 220° Smoker Temp, I don't get much carry-over rise. Usually only about 2° or 3° MAX.

And I like to use my MES turned down to about meat temp to let it rest, instead of bothering with a cooler. Meat with an IT of 138° to 142° stays pretty stable in a 150° Smoker.

Bear

Another good trick for sliced medium rare meat , myself I like warm plates. My mom always put a stack and the platter in the oven a few minutes before dinner. Slices and stuff stay hot [emoji]129299[/emoji]

Looks delicious as usual!

Haven't seen tenderloins on sale here in a long time.

Nice score!

icon14.gif
  Al
Thank You Al !!

Yeah, it don't happen often---One time it was actually $6.99. Should have bought more than one that time!!

Bear

Once again a nice job and a great looking meal. We put 4 ears of corn in a gallon zip bag with a couple table spoons of water and nuke on high for 7 minutes comes ot great.Leave one corner of bag open for vent though.

points1.png

Warren
Thank You Warren!!

Bear

Bear that looks fantastic,I have been buying the Australian Tenderloins their not bad.

Richie
Thank You Richie!!

I never noticed any Aussie Beef---Is it marked "Australian"? Much cheaper?

Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Great thread.  That whole meal looks
drool.gif

Your side arm to  protect  the meat from unwanted visitors.???????    
biggrin.gif

Great meal John. Lucky you. I NEVER see beef tenderloin on sale--have to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Thats a great idea, dropping the MES temp like that to rest the meat. Gonna try that.

When it comes to corn I just put it in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil. 3 minutes later the corn is cooked perfectly.

POINT

Gary

G'gosh Bear,
That looks so good I need a drool bib.
points1.png

One thing I like about hunting is that every deer/pig comes with two tasty tenderloins.
Thank You Chile!!

Yup--Those are the only non-organ parts of Deer that we don't turn into Deerburger.

Bear

Richie
Thank You Richie!!

I never noticed any Aussie Beef---Is it marked "Australian"? Much cheaper?

Thanks for the Points.

Bear
Yes it is labeled as Australian Beef Tenderloin

If I get to the store tomorrow I'll try to take a pic

Richie

Great thread.  That whole meal looks
drool.gif

Your side arm to  protect  the meat from unwanted visitors.???????    
biggrin.gif
Thank You Adam!!

LOL--The Window right above the sink, to the left of the Sous Vide is the best angle for squirrels chewing on my bird feeders.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky