PID use with the SI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke happens

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Arlington, WA
I've seen a few SI owners using a PID and was looking for suggestions. I am having too much trouble at low temps keeping this thing on target, 20* +/- is just not workin for sausages and such. No biggie with PP or stuff running in the 225* to 250* rage, but it's killing me at lower temps. Looking for a plug and play, and how you set yours up or the process to get it to work, what's involved, etc.

Thanks

Hello Smoke Happens,

Here is a company I have seen referenced on other sites by users.   This unit supposedly works with Smokin-it per their description.

I hope this works for you and others.  It is kind of pricey. 

old sarge

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=203
Sarge,

I found this thread researching the PID and whether or not this should be something to consider to go along with my yet to purchase SI #2. Like Smoke Happens, I'll be doing some sausage (venison types) and will want a pretty accurate temp setting. But after reading about some the DIY PIDs out there, it looks like you need to be a EE major to figure out how to hook it up to the smoker. 

Do you think the one you referenced in the link would be relatively easy to hook-up to the SI?

Gonzo
The 1203 model that sarge referenced has the meat probe and will work fine with the smokin it. There is a 1200 model that has no meat probe but the same programming and auto tune as the 1203. If you have a maverick you may find all you need is the 1200 and can save a few bucks. The only issue is you may have to wire the power cord on the smoker directly to the element but call auberin to see if all you have to do is turn the smokin it controller all the way up and plug the smoker cord into the back of the auber control. It will keep your temps dead on at all ranges and you have six step programming that will adjust for smoker temp and / or meat temp (with the 1203. You can set your temps to start at, say, 130 and then increment it to increase temps. Good for doing sausage or bacon. You can also set it to go to a hold temp after time or meat temp is reached to prevent overcooking. The aelf tune is really nice as it will "learn" the characteristics of your type of smoker and allow the unit to keep temps from overshooting set temp and stayind dead on.

Last edited:
Gonzo,

From what I have been able to find out in phone conversations and emails, the Auber units are essentially plug and play.  Some of the units were developed specifically for the Bradley smokers.  I have read over the user manuals for these units and while the basic description for, say the 1503 mentions Smokin-it by name, Bradley is still referred to in the manual. My personal advice would be to contact Auberins and get the answers you seek there.  I will admit that the manuals are somewhat confusing to me, what with the programming and such. The link I posted was for the 1503. 

I read what gee rock said and that makes sense as well as I would guess that you would want to bypass the onboard smoker controller and let the Auber do all the work.   I wish I could say more but I cannot.

Good luck.

Dave

Gonzo,

From what I have been able to find out in phone conversations and emails, the Auber units are essentially plug and play.  Some of the units were developed specifically for the Bradley smokers.  I have read over the user manuals for these units and while the basic description for, say the 1503 mentions Smokin-it by name, Bradley is still referred to in the manual. My personal advice would be to contact Auberins and get the answers you seek there.  I will admit that the manuals are somewhat confusing to me, what with the programming and such. The link I posted was for the 1503. 

I read what gee rock said and that makes sense as well as I would guess that you would want to bypass the onboard smoker controller and let the Auber do all the work.   I wish I could say more but I cannot.

Good luck.

Dave
[/quote
Dave
What they have done is basically set the auto tune for the bradley smoker and it also has a connection for bradleys smoke generator. Apparently they saw a need for some of the older bradleys that had bad controllers. But they will work just fine with other electrics. I have a 1203 on a gen 2 mes and it turned a useless pos into a great smoker. The self tune feature allows it to adapt to many designs and the smokin it has a basic analog control. The 1503 is just a 1203 capable of a higher wattage which he doesn't need and the 1200 will work for the smokin it elements wattage also.

Last edited:
Thanks Geerock and Old Sarge. Just might give Auber a call but it sounds like the 1203 might be the way to go.

I just came across this thread. I went with the 1503 just to not be at the top end of the ssr. What I did was build a jumper around the temp controller (didn't get any pics) a couple of insulated spade connectors and a chunk of #12 wire. One of the leads has an uninsulated connector so I dressed it ip with a piece of heat shrink.

Doug

I just finished modifying my SI 3 a total rewire.  I am using a Auber 1503 with a through the wall temp sensor, I went with that so that I could have greater control temp and time throughout a smoke.

Since the SI 3 has a 9' cord and the 1503 a much shorter cord (about 4') I swapped them out.  I removed the thermostat, probe and all the brackets for the probe, also the red LED.  I obtained a thermal fuse (Safety high temp cutout) 240 degree C.  I made a small bracket for the thermal fuse from the original removed stainless bracket and attached it outside the smoker where the thermostat probe used to be. I passed the new temp probe through a hole in the back panel (used a grommet).  The thermal fuse is wired in series with the heating coil.

When I want to use the smoker I plug the smoker and temp probe into the 1503  and then the 1503 into a wall plug and I am ready to go.

The 1503 is set up for a Bradley but the 1503 can perform an auto tune to individual smokers.

I can provide photos and wiring dia if asked.

I just finished modifying my SI 3 a total rewire.  I am using a Auber 1503 with a through the wall temp sensor, I went with that so that I could have greater control temp and time throughout a smoke.

Since the SI 3 has a 9' cord and the 1503 a much shorter cord (about 4') I swapped them out.  I removed the thermostat, probe and all the brackets for the probe, also the red LED.  I obtained a thermal fuse (Safety high temp cutout) 240 degree C.  I made a small bracket for the thermal fuse from the original removed stainless bracket and attached it outside the smoker where the thermostat probe used to be. I passed the new temp probe through a hole in the back panel (used a grommet).  The thermal fuse is wired in series with the heating coil.

When I want to use the smoker I plug the smoker and temp probe into the 1503  and then the 1503 into a wall plug and I am ready to go.

The 1503 is set up for a Bradley but the 1503 can perform an auto tune to individual smokers.

I can provide photos and wiring dia if asked.
Please, I'd love to see how it all came together. Include BOM too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky