Spent some time with the butcher

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic looking beef Matt, and as for the hamburger. Well the first burger would be w/o condiments. I would just want to savor the flavor.

Point for sure
Chris
Agreed Chris, no condiments but probably would have some gruyere on it 😋

If you don't mind me asking, what was the hanging weight of that 30 month old steer ?
The 31 month steer's hanging weight was 960 lbs. Wagyu steers run small compared to other breeds.

As some of you know our daughter and her husband raise pureblood & fullblood wagyu cattle and sell their meat at some higher end weekend markets around the area along with some shipping of orders off their website. They recently struck a deal with a local butcher which will make their business more profitable in that they no longer have to travel far distances or pay to have processed meat shipped back. Today they asked her to come down, watch and provide input on specific speciality cuts she requires on top of the usual ones. Lucky for me I got to tag along and watch the whole process from carcass to finished product. Cold room as suspected but the artistry involved to take apart a carcass in the proper order to maximize each of the necessary cuts was simply amazing. Here are a few photos:

View attachment 688766View attachment 688768View attachment 688769View attachment 688770
View attachment 688771View attachment 688773
View attachment 688774View attachment 688775

Want to point out the skirt steak prep. This work is being done by a 14 (?) year old apprentice who's knife skills & dexterity is nothing short of amazing. It's really nice to see someone coming up in the trade, which has actually been dwindling in recent years. The steer was graded out to be A4 which has to do with how they view a specific section of the ribeye. Needless to say this is very special meat that comes with a price befitting the effort put into raising the 31 month old steer.

Once cut and prepped, each piece is individually vacuum packed weight and labeled. Nothing goes to waste. Scrap bones and pieces are moved to another table where the meat is painstakingly removed and used with other parts for hamburger. Even the fat is saved and bagged. They have buyers wanting it to mix with deer meat for sausages etc. A number of the organs are also harvested and sold.

The business of raising cattle, selling beef and making a profit with it is a tough & demanding way of life. These kids watch their expenses to the penny and after (4-5 years) getting the herd to a sustainable size are now starting to generate a profit for their continued hard work. Just an FYI, we don't take any advantage of their business. We pay the same as all the other customers because we don't believe in taking money away from what's needed to support their family. After all of the morning's activities I got to spend a nice time at lunch with the daughter. Now that's what matters 😉.
the ONE thing I miss about Indiana is packing houses and real butcher shops. looks amazing.

Reactions: schlotz
the ONE thing I miss about Indiana is packing houses and real butcher shops. looks amazing.
One of the true 'throw backs to a past era' is an old time butcher shop near us. They will cut what you want. Everything is fresh and clean. Love going there. Was amazed to stumble on it out here away from the city of Indianapolis. It's family run. They have updated a few things like adding a deli section for sandwiches but still home grown right here in the heart of Indiana. 😎

Reactions: Brokenhandle
The 31 month steer's hanging weight was 960 lbs. Wagyu steers run small compared to other breeds.
Thanks. I wouldn't think 960lbs hanging weight to be all that small. You're talking 1500-1600lbs live weight, unless Waygu dresses lighter. Are these grass fed, seems with so much fat that they probably are grain/corn fed but I would think with grain fed you'd be butchering way before 31 months ? We are usually at 18 months when butchering 1600-1700lbs but that's grain/corn finished Angus steers. Thanks again, I love learning.

Thanks. I wouldn't think 960lbs hanging weight to be all that small. You're talking 1500-1600lbs live weight, unless Waygu dresses lighter. Are these grass fed, seems with so much fat that they probably are grain/corn fed but I would think with grain fed you'd be butchering way before 31 months ? We are usually at 18 months when butchering 1600-1700lbs but that's grain/corn finished Angus steers. Thanks again, I love learning.
Believe my daughter indicated these steers do dress out lighter. They are pastured but then finished with grain.

Thanks for the amazing post!!!!! Please inquire about the Bavette or Flap Meat cut. It is like a thick flank. I hope that is not being used for ground as it is a fantastic cut. The Heinens grocery near me sometimes has Wagyu Bavette steaks and when they have them I buy them up. I am a newbie and don't even know how to access a PM, lol, but please please PM me. I would love to support.

Thanks for the amazing post!!!!! Please inquire about the Bavette or Flap Meat cut. It is like a thick flank. I hope that is not being used for ground as it is a fantastic cut. The Heinens grocery near me sometimes has Wagyu Bavette steaks and when they have them I buy them up. I am a newbie and don't even know how to access a PM, lol, but please please PM me. I would love to support.
If you get a PM, it will show up by an envelope. Not sure if you use computer or phone... on my phone it's right next to the symbol for where I get notices for threads I'm watching.

Ryan

Reactions: HushyQ and schlotz
Pm sent

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky