PID & Fan Recommendations For UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Hello All,

I finally burnt through my old UDS drum after 13 years of faithful service, and now I need to make some decisions before I start making holes in the replacement drum. The decision is "to PID, or not to PID," that is the question. I really think that I would like to try it, just because it seems to make the UDS just that much more "set it, and forget it." The UDS that I built was never all that set it, and forget it, and found that you still had to monitor the temperature closely, and make adjustments. Not a lot of fun on overnight smokes, that's for sure....

So , what do you folks think of your PID controlled UDS's? What has your experience been with them, and would you do it again. The biggest thing that I'm after with this post is the biggest bang for the back with a PID and fan on this style of smoker. I've read lots of posts written by people that are using the ThermoWorks Billows, a few using the Inkbird, and yet others building a DIY PID controller. I'm not too sure about about the DIY controller, could definitely see myself screwing that up royally. That being said, I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one kit, or one where the pieces are easily matched up to work together, like the Billows? What are your thoughts? Thank you for any hints or suggestions that get thrown my way.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,

Adam.

Reactions: cashnow
PID controls work well for drum smokers. Or, so I have heard. I haven't tried them on a drum yet myself. I make my own PID controllers and I love the performance I get from them.

Here is a good bit of information if you are interested in a DIY project.

JC :emoji_cat:

PID controls work well for drum smokers. Or, so I have heard. I haven't tried them on a drum yet myself. I make my own PID controllers and I love the performance I get from them.

Here is a good bit of information if you are interested in a DIY project.

JC :emoji_cat:
Huge amount of information, actually. Thank you!

Built my first drum and run the Signals with Billows.
IMG_0735.jpeg
I really like not having a lot of clutter. The Signals runs the meat probe(s), pit probe and fan controller and throws it all on the graph. First few cooks I enjoyed running out to the pit every 15 minutes to see…….nothing happening! Set-forget like a pellet.
Holds temps very well, and I can change pit temp from the app, just like a pellet.
1706651309503.png
Hope this helps!

ps- I bought the pipe nipple adapter for the Billows such that I can use it “bare” or with the Billows. But since I’m usually using the Signals anyway, why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky