pepper progress?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
hey y'all, just wanted to heck in mid-summer and see how your peppers are doing compared to what i've got going on over here in illinois. pictures or it didn't happen! my jalapenos are maybe 2' tall and lots of early fruit... the rest are 12-18" or so and am having mixed results.
PXL_20240627_230716945.jpg
PXL_20240627_230723946.jpg
PXL_20240627_230733338.jpg
PXL_20240627_230740351.jpg

In Peoria, IL I have several Serranos Pinky finger length and flowers 2'. The Poblano is a little shorter with an inch + diameter pepper about 2" long at the stem with no blooming flowers. Like it's making one at a time. The Carolina Reaper is like an 80 day pepper runt a foot high and no fruits. These are at my GF in the ground which I prefer in big pots. I like Potting soil, spent coffee ground and top soil in equal thirds and a half cup of epsom salt per gallon water supplement every month or a little longer. I have so many pods of Chocolate Habs and CR I just picked up 3 Chef Jeff varieties this year to go in with her garden this year for $3 each at the local nursery. She has short tomato plants three varieties that have many fruit and 2' high max.

NE Ohio mixed results on my peppers. Some of the super hots are 12-18" tall. Some odd curling on top leaves of a few plants. Tomato plants doing ok. Looking back at my old posts from last year this time I'm actually ahead on growth. Problem I'm having is the week long hot stretch triggered early blooming.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I have a batch that I am slowly getting used to the sun. I brought the first batch out and after leaving them in full sun all day they were cooked. I will take my time with these.

Jaloro, Sweet Banana, Quintisho Red, Hatch Mild, Wiri Wiri, Hungarian Paparika, Sweet Golden Mararoni, Sweet Red Cherry and Thai.

2024_growing_peppers_026.jpg

Other pepper variants along with cherry tomato, basil, green onion. Some were from last year that survived the winter.

2024_growing_peppers_027.jpg

Other smaller plants still indoors:

Tobasco, California Wonder, Cubanelle and non pepper Korean melon.

I have a batch that I am slowly getting used to the sun. I brought the first batch out and after leaving them in full sun all day they were cooked. I will take my time with these.

Jaloro, Sweet Banana, Quintisho Red, Hatch Mild, Wiri Wiri, Hungarian Paparika, Sweet Golden Mararoni, Sweet Red Cherry and Thai.

View attachment 699555

Other pepper variants along with cherry tomato, basil, green onion. Some were from last year that survived the winter.

View attachment 699556

Other smaller plants still indoors:

Tobasco, California Wonder, Cubanelle and non pepper Korean melon.
yup! The leaves burn without hardening over a couple weeks and get a silver color of eminent death. Plus if indoors the stalks/leaves aren't up for the wind if you didn't use a fan indoors for stalk strength. If you can keep them in the shade outside for a few weeks before direct light when they are in their own small pots. I do like germinating my own but this hardening is a PITA. Seedlings are great for $3 each. This year was the first time I found Chef Jeff variety Carolina Reaper for $3.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky