Mushroom ketchup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torch&Tone

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
Washington, DC
Sounds strange, I know. The reason why every bottle of Heinz, Hunt's, or any other brand of the familiar red stuff isn't being redundant when the label says "tomato ketchup" is that you can make ketchup from many other ingredients... including mushrooms! It was actually very popular back in colonial days (before tomato ketchup came on the scene), but still goes great with burgers, steaks, and other hearty savory fare. Rich in umami.
ketchup-m.jpg

I use standard brown mushrooms (fun fact: white, button, brown, and portobello are all the same thing, Agaricus bisporus, just different ages/stages), but you can mix and match with shiitake, lion's mane, whatever your heart desires (and wallet allows).

============
1 lb mushrooms
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 lb shallots (or onion), finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely grated or paste
1 knob ginger, finely grated or paste
1 bay leaf
black pepper
============
1. Clean the mushrooms thoroughly with a damp paper towel and give them a rough chop, or quick pass through a food processor.
2. Mix thoroughly, in a large bowl, with salt and let sit for at least an hour. I opt to mash them up a bit with a wooden spoon or potato masher and let it sit overnight, but this is optional.
3. Pour mixture into a pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for ~30min.
4. Let cool, then strain contents back into the bowl.
5. Strain the contents a second time (I recommend cheesecloth) back into the pot, and mix in shallots, garlic, pepper, ginger, and bay leaf.
6. Return to a simmer for at least another 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove bay leaf, let it cool, blend mixture if desired, and bottle it.
8. Remaining solids from step 5 can be oven-dried at 200F (spread thinly across a lined pan) and ground into a powder for seasoning.

Note on consistency: Mushroom ketchup is traditionally quite thin. To thicken it, closer to a mushroom gravy or tomato ketchup, you can simmer it longer and reduce it, and/or combine with a roux (though this will change the flavor somewhat), and/or add some of the cooked mushroom chunks back in before blending in step 7.

Other optional variations:
- adding in Worcestershire sauce at the end
- using freshly smoked mushrooms
- adding in other herbs and/or spices: this ketchup is extremely versatile and can be taken countless directions
+ I like a bit of heat, so frequently add some of the hot pepper mash left over from making hot sauce
+ if I know it's mostly going on steak & burgers, I might lean on a chimichurri-esque blend of paprika and finely-chopped parsley & oregano
+ if I'm thinking more Greek chicken wraps, I may incorporate lemon zest, cilantro, and fenugreek

Nice. I read something about this quite a few years ago but never pursued it. IIRC, it was in an article along with banana ketchup from the P.I.

I'm thinking the mushroom gravy sounds pretty good. The pineapple gravy maybe not so much.

Ryan

So that explains the origin of the term ketchup? Not tomato based but simply a savory sauce?
Cooked mushroom is not palatable to my wife, but I may give this a try.
I've read that before of the commonality of white to portobello and not sure I agree. Not sure how a gills out shroom can vary that much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky