Morton tender quick salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Can Morton tender quick salt be used to cure thick cut jerky, or do I need the pink cure #1 salt.
Also can tender quick be used as a meat curing salt & which meats.

Sorry for the newbie type question.

Thanks.

Look in the upper right hand corner of your computer screen. There's a little high-lighted box with the word "Search". You can find out answers to many of your questions by using that feature, try it out. RAY

Pink Salt #1 is easier. $10 gets a container that I doubt I'll use in my lifetime. Tender Quick has its uses but it can be very salty. Plus, it says not to use for bacon. So Pink Salt #1 for the win.

Reactions: DieselTech
Works great for thick cut jerky.

I can be used as a dry cure for beef and pork.

Makes for great Canadian bacon and dried beef.

I use it for bacon as well, and assume any risk.

Very versatile product.

Look in the upper right hand corner of your computer screen. There's a little high-lighted box with the word "Search". You can find out answers to many of your questions by using that feature, try it out. RAY
Pink Salt #1 is easier. $10 gets a container that I doubt I'll use in my lifetime. Tender Quick has its uses but it can be very salty. Plus, it says not to use for bacon. So Pink Salt #1 for the win.
Works great for thick cut jerky.

I can be used as a dry cure for beef and pork.

Makes for great Canadian bacon and dried beef.

I use it for bacon as well, and assume any risk.

Very versatile product.
I'll just add make sure to follow the directions on package, I think measurements are different than cure #1.
Thanks guys. I was just curious what & where it can be used. I definitely want to make some dry cured beef.

Thanks.

Tender quick is a good product . I have a couple bags and use it for certain things .
I have never had it be to salty when used correctly .
1 tablespoon per pound for WHOLE muscle meat .
1 1/2 tsp per pound for GROUND meat .

Follow the Morton direction when using Tender quick .
Saying cure 1 is easier is an opinion , not a fact . Make sure you decide for yourself .
Like Ray suggested , the search feature should take you to recipes and uses for Tender quick .

Try this... he used Tenderquick all the time and his step by steps are easy to follow and duplicate

Ryan

Tender quick is a good product . I have a couple bags and use it for certain things .
I have never had it be to salty when used correctly .
1 tablespoon per pound for WHOLE muscle meat .
1 1/2 tsp per pound for GROUND meat .

Follow the Morton direction when using Tender quick .
Saying cure 1 is easier is an opinion , not a fact . Make sure you decide for yourself .
Like Ray suggested , the search feature should take you to recipes and uses for Tender quick .
Ok thanks. I'll do some research. My local store has morton tender quick salt, but I don't think they carry any cure #1 salt.

I was just looking for something I could use to cure some thick cut beef jerky made from eye of round as it seems to be the leanest cut of meat in my local market.

Thanks.

Try this... he used Tenderquick all the time and his step by steps are easy to follow and duplicate

Ryan
Thanks for this link. I read part of that last night, but the 1 you posted has alot more things that can be made in this thread you posted.

Thanks.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
You won't be disappointed! I would suggest you bookmark it so it's easy to find.

Ryan
I book marked it & labeled it as tender quick uses/tender quick salt.

Lmao how do I look a book mark up/ find it at further dates?

Thanks.

I book marked it & labeled it as tender quick uses/tender quick salt.

Lmao how do I look a book mark up/ find it at further dates?

Thanks.
For me, on my phone I click on my avatar at top of my screen, that brings up a screen that has a pic of bookmark at the top

Ryan

Reactions: DieselTech
So basically screw what Morton says about not using Tender Quick for bacon and also what the USDA says about no nitrates being allowed in bacon cure mixtures.
Yeah I like seeing the old west cowboy days pictures, where they just had the raw beef packed in salt. I sit back & only wonder what them days could have been like.

There probably a lot of lost ways to preserve certain foods we will never hear about.

I have a brand new bag of Morton Tenderquick... just read the entire bag. No where on the bag does it say... do not use to cure bacon. So I don't see an issue with it. If there is then all of Bearcarvers posts were unsafe??? Ya, let's not go there!

Ryan
Check Morton’s web site.

USDA says no Nitrates in bacon.

TQ contains Nitrates.

Tenderquick is a nitrite, nitrate, sugared, and salted factory mix intended for a "gradient" cure method. Gradient means it is time based. At the designated time rinse it off to prevent over salting your meat. I don't use it as I go much lower salt and no sugar in my cures.
Cure #1 is available in many sources. I got my last from Academy Sports. Not sure if they extend to Kansas

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky