A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, barring any steps I've forgotten or haven't thought of yet...the fabrication of Jim's smoker is complete! After completing the work shelf/table and getting that welded in place, I turned attention to finishing the stack and the rain cap/damper assembly.

After consulting with a professional pit builder whose knowledge and experience I trust, I settled on a stack height of 10". That's pretty close to the tallest I could make it, and still let it clear a standard overhead garage door.

View attachment 697014

View attachment 697015

View attachment 697016

View attachment 697017

I'm happy with how the rain cap/damper turned out...but as tall as this pit is, a short person might struggle to reach the damper handle LOL!

View attachment 697018

View attachment 697019

Jim had indicated that he'd like to have some cargo tie-down rings...so the last step I completed was to install 4 of those on the side panels of the cabinet.

View attachment 697020

View attachment 697021

The next update I make will be a test burn! I want to see how it draws and holds temps. And I may need to do a second test burn to see how the direct cook charcoal basket draws in the bottom of the main chamber...just to see if it needs another intake vent on the side of the CC. My guess is that opening the firebox up will provide the direct-fire charcoal basket with plenty of air...but I do want to make sure that's true before sending it home. And while I'm doing the test burn, I'll also go ahead and spray interior surfaces with cooking oil and season it at the same time.

If the test burn goes well, the only thing left to do before Jim picks it up is get if prepped and painted! As long as nothing else gets in the way...I think I should have it ready for him to pick up inside of a week!

As always, thanks for checking it out...only a couple updates left to come!

Red
Awesome work.

Reactions: seenred
What an amazing build Red that will be enjoyed by several generations!
Jim is in for real treat!

Keith

Very kind, Keith - thank you Sir! It'd definitely be cool if Jim's grandkids were still cooking on it some day!

Will the work table get really hot being welded to the firebox?

Yeah, I expect it might get a little hot - especially closer to the fire...but oughta still be OK. And remember, it's not an insulated pit - every surface will be hot during use. So...just like with all uninsulated stick burners, caution is always recommended.

Awesome work.

Thank you Sir!

Red

And I gotta beat JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 to Oklahoma! I’m gonna need to set a password with Joel so he’ll know it’s me!!!! 😂😂😂

Jim

LMAO!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sweat_smile:

Yep!! It'll need to be a "Double Secret Hi Sign"

You could just sleep in the smoker

That's not too far from being true Jake! If Jim were a smaller man, he just might be able to get in there LMAO!! :emoji_wink:

Red

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Today was test-burn day!

So this morning, I drug it out of the shop (had to put a couple boards under the back wheels to level it up) and poured some lump charcoal in the V-basket...then lit a chimney full. When that was red-hot, I poured that over the coal in the basket.

img144.jpg

Started with 3 small splits of hickory.

Img145.jpg

As it burned and came up to temps, I kept the dampers wide open, and kept plenty of fuel in the FB - wanted to see how high the temps would go in the CC. Turns out, it was pretty easy to get it up to near *350. After closing the dampers down some, it became clear I only needed 1 or 2 splits in the V-basket at a time to maintain temps in the cooking range - which for me is usually *250-*275.

And I have to say, I'm a fan of the V-basket! Seems to make it easier to get a hot coal bed going, and easy to maintain that coal bed over time.

img146.jpg

I put a couple of probes in the CC - one on the middle rack (probe 1) and one on the top rack (probe 2). This screen shot is during the climb up to *350. I was happy to see even temps from bottom to top.

img148.jpg

After adjusting the dampers, I got it to settle into a temp range of *250-*290...which is right where I like to cook.

img147.jpg

It stayed in that range for over 2 hours.

img149.jpg

After dialing it in to the "sweet spot" for a couple hours, I was happy with the test, and closed all dampers to begin shutting down.

I was also happy to see that the dial thermometers in the door were pretty consistent - although it seemed that for most of the test, they both showed maybe *10 lower than my Inkbird probes. My experience with analog thermometers...that seems pretty good to me.

Bottom Thermometer:

img151.jpg

Top thermometer:

img152.jpg

I'm not gonna lie - I was happy and proud to see Thin Blue Smoke rolling out of the stack!

img150.jpg

Conclusions:

I consider this test burn a smashing success! The airflow was spot-on...it drew like a charm! It was very easy to get it nice and hot (*350), and also easy to bring it back under control in the nice cooking range of *250-*290. My first estimate is that it'll be fairly fuel-efficient as well. Seems like it's gonna need 1 or 2 small/medium splits every 45 minutes to an hour to maintain a nice temp and a nice coal bed.

Up next: I want to build a fire in the CC coal basket and see how that draws and performs. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get that done - we've got some storms moving in late this afternoon.

Definitely one step closer to Jim cookin' on it!

Hopefully I'll have another update tomorrow...thanks for checking in!

Red

Today was test-burn day!

So this morning, I drug it out of the shop (had to put a couple boards under the back wheels to level it up) and poured some lump charcoal in the V-basket...then lit a chimney full. When that was red-hot, I poured that over the coal in the basket.

View attachment 697244

View attachment 697245

As it burned and came up to temps, I kept the dampers wide open, and kept plenty of fuel in the FB - wanted to see how high the temps would go in the CC. Turns out, it was pretty easy to get it up to near *350. After closing the dampers down some, it became clear I only needed 1 or 2 splits in the V-basket at a time to maintain temps in the cooking range - which for me is usually *250-*275.

And I have to say, I'm a fan of the V-basket! Seems to make it easier to get a hot coal bed going, and easy to maintain that coal bed over time.

View attachment 697246

I put a couple of probes in the CC - one on the middle rack (probe 1) and one on the top rack (probe 2). This screen shot is during the climb up to *350. I was happy to see even temps from bottom to top.

View attachment 697253

After adjusting the dampers, I got it to settle into a temp range of *250-*290...which is right where I like to cook.

View attachment 697247

View attachment 697248

After dialing it in to the "sweet spot" for a couple hours, I was happy with the test, and closed all dampers to begin shutting down.

I was also happy to see that the dial thermometers in the door were pretty consistent - although it seemed that for most of the test, they both showed maybe *10 lower than my Inkbird probes. My experience with analog thermometers...that seems pretty good to me.

Bottom Thermometer:

View attachment 697250

Top thermometer:

View attachment 697251

I'm not gonna lie - I was happy and proud to see Thin Blue Smoke rolling out of the stack!

View attachment 697252

Conclusions:

I consider this test burn a smashing success! The airflow was spot-on...it drew like a charm! It was very easy to get it nice and hot (*350), and also easy to bring it back under control in the nice cooking range of *250-*290. My first estimate is that it'll be fairly fuel-efficient as well. Seems like it's gonna need 1 or 2 small/medium splits every 45 minutes to an hour to maintain a nice temp and a nice coal bed.

Up next: I want to build a fire in the CC coal basket and see how that draws and performs. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get that done - we've got some storms moving in late this afternoon.

Red
You hear that? That's Jim jumping up and down with giddyness! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Today was test-burn day!

View attachment 697244

View attachment 697245

View attachment 697246

View attachment 697253

View attachment 697247

View attachment 697248

Bottom Thermometer:

View attachment 697250

Top thermometer:

View attachment 697251

View attachment 697252

Conclusions:

Red
Awesome work. I believe that’s a successful first burn to me also. Sounds very easy to get to temp and easily adjusted if needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky