A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Hello SMF Friends! Hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

Those of you who followed my last build, a 24x42 reverse flow patio smoker, probably know that I recently sold that pit to Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ). He seems very happy with it, which makes me even happier!

So anyway, as I was wrapping up that thread, I got to joking around with Jim ( JLeonard JLeonard ) about building him a custom, made-to-order smoker. Well turns out it was no joke! He has given me the honor allowing me to build him a custom Vertical Offset Cabinet smoker. Picture a Lonestar Grillz 30" Vertical Offset...and you'll have a good idea of what we're designing. It won't look identical to this smoker - but pretty close.

IMG_1534.jpeg

So anyway, after talking some with Jim, and after doing some planning and designing, I've come up with a plan that Jim has approved. I'm attaching some drawings I did (PDF files below) - I'm too tech illiterate to use CAD, or other design software- just old school graph paper and drafting tools for me!

So I went to the steel yard yesterday, and spent a bunch of Jim's money LOL!!

img1.jpg

Got everything off the trailer except the 1/4 inch plate: a couple 4x8 sheets of expanded metal, along with most of the square tubing, angle iron, flat bar stock, and round bar stock I'll need to complete this build.

img2.jpg

It turned out to be quite a challenge for one old fat guy working by himself to figure out how to handle those 4x10 steel plates. I Googled it, and a single, 4x10 plate of 1/4 inch steel weighs in at 408 lbs.

img3.jpg

This on/off switching pickup magnet definitely helped...

img4.jpg

So next up, I'll need to spend most of a day laying out all my plasma cuts in those plates, then getting them cut out. This is the boring stuff...the fun stuff doesn't really start until I start welding steel panels together!

Anyway, that's all for now...but there'll be much more to come! I hope you'll come back and check up on my progress as I go. Barring any setbacks, I should get most - or all - of the plate plasma-cut this week. We're having some uncommonly mild, warm weather - and I'd like to take advantage of it before it gets so cold I'd rather not be in the shop!

Stay tuned!

Red

Attachments

• VertOS03.pdf
    938.2 KB · Views: 102
  • VertOS02.pdf
    987.3 KB · Views: 56
  • VertOS01.pdf
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 71
Nice , that will be a nice smoker. Your plans look good also. I used to do some cad work for some of my work, but got away from it . Now i do drawings like I used to , on the graft paper like yours. And all 3 of those look good to me.

I love spending other peoples money also.

Jim must be very happy.

David

Yeah…. Gonna be pulling some OT for this. When he put up the last one for sale I was figuring bills and finances on how to get it. Then Ryan, Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , snagged it before I could. I thought..”Whew! He saved me from self enabling.” Ryan and I txt back and forth a good bit and we were talking about the smoker and how much he likes it. I pouted a little cause I was jealous. then seenred seenred took my jest and twisted my arm. now I’m getting a custom smoker!!!!!
it’s gonna be fun watching the build. Just wish I was closer, I’d be there helping!
of course, I’m gonna need a name for It. Ryan calls his Rodney after Joel’s avatar. I got time to think about it. Or I could open it up to suggestions from you good folks!

Jim

Last edited:
You know I'm following along! Can't wait to see it! Hope your weather holds out for awhile Joel so you can make some good progress!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
That looks great to me! Looking forward to progress photos :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for checking in Spook...it's gonna be a fun build!

Nice , that will be a nice smoker. Your plans look good also. I used to do some cad work for some of my work, but got away from it . Now i do drawings like I used to , on the graft paper like yours. And all 3 of those look good to me.

I love spending other peoples money also.

Jim must be very happy.

David

Thanks David! I tried to use the free version of SketchUp once...wasn't smart enough to make much sense of it. Takes me longer than someone who knows how to use a design program, but heck, I'm retired - I got nuthin' but time!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

No doubt I'm along for the ride....

The attachments are downloads... For safety reasons I don't do downloads...

I was hoping you might watch along Keith...chime right in anytime you have any tips or suggestions Brother! :emoji_thumbsup:
Watching as well

Thanks for checking in Civil!

I'm along for the ride . . .

Thanks Brother! I hope the ride's as fun as the last build!

Red

Yeah…. Gonna be pulling some OT for this. When he put up the last one for sale I was figuring bills and finances on how to get it. Then Ryan, Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , snagged it before I could. I thought..”Whew! He saved me from self enabling.” Ryan and I txt back and forth a good bit and we were talking about the smoker and how much he likes it. I pouted a little cause I was jealous. then seenred seenred took my jest and twisted my arm. now I’m getting a custom smoker!!!!!
it’s gonna be fun watching the build. Just wish I was closer, I’d be there helping!
of course, I’m gonna need a name for It. Ryan calls his Rodney after Joel’s avatar. I got time to think about it. Or I could open it up to suggestions from you good folks!

Jim

Arm twisting??? Perish the thought! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sweat_smile:

I wish you were closer too - I coulda used your help today for sure...those dang plates were heavy! Always takes a little more thought and a little more care (and the right tools) when you move heavy steel by yourself.

This one's gonna be a lot of fun...I'm probably more excited than you are Brother!

And I hope "Rodney" is gettin' respect!! (anyone who doesn't know anything about Mr. Dangerfield won't get it)...

Joel’s drawings….
View attachment 682643View attachment 682644View attachment 682645

Thinking it’s gonna be plenty big enough for me.
Jim

Thanks for loading those drawings! And if it ain't big enough, we can surely remedy that LOL!

Red

• Haha
Reactions: okiwen and JLeonard

LOL!! We can dang sure make it bigger...just say the word Jim!

That’s great Jim. I’m watching. I know it will be a good one.

Thanks for checking in buddy!

You know I'm following along! Can't wait to see it! Hope your weather holds out for awhile Joel so you can make some good progress!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I hope so too...our 10 day forecast is pretty mild...but it's too much to hope for mild weather all the way through the holidays. It's gonna get cold eventually - then it'll be a lot harder to make myself go to the shop! My little electric space heater can't keep up if the temps fall much below freezing.

Red

Shoot told ya… I’m in no hurry. Take your time. Give me more time to pay for it! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

I hear ya Buddy...no worries. If it's done before springtime, I'll be surprised! I love to be in the shop when the weather's nice, but I ain't going out there when I can see my breath LOL! My heater won't cut the mustard when it's that cold. And as I've said, my metal-skinned shop is uninsulated, so whatever the temp is outside, that's what it is in the shop.

Red

Thanks David! I tried to use the free version of SketchUp once...wasn't smart enough to make much sense of it. Takes me longer than someone who knows how to use a design program, but heck, I'm retired - I got nuthin' but time!

Yes Joel, I used Sketch up and an other one that skips my mind at the time. I liked sketch up , they would render up some nice 3D for the customers.
But have not used for a few years. So would take too long to just figure out how to use again.

Most guys I know that are retired seem a lot busier than they were when they worked full time lol

It is going to be nice Joel, and Jim will be very happy, once he is done all the overtime .

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky