A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Red, I'm not sure Jim wants it but "please" build him a coal basket for the VC and a vent in the VC (door or chamber) so he can open fire grill and roast......

Just saying this could be Jim in the near future.....
CopperLobster.jpg

PS nice design layout and love the plate lifter! Jim is going to get a very nice cooker!

Oh civilsmoker civilsmoker ......You stirring the pot here! Of course the surf and turf pic dont help!

Jim
I'm trying to earn my enabler badge......:emoji_wink:

On the serious side. You are going to have a very nice cooker! The things I see are.... Its big enough for a full size food service pan and have good air flow and its got many levels of cooking. IE smoking low or hot, the offset vs reverse flow will allow for easier hot roasting temps. Including open fire or coal direct cooking

The vertical high shelves will allow you to have a prime rib or whatever up top and have a aromatics pan below for smokey sauces and gravy etc. I can't do this on my copper pot and I wish I could. I have many designs similar to this that I have been tempted to build to replace the copper pot.

Congrats to you and high five for Red for being the enabler for many future awesome cooks!

Last edited:
I am so stoked. I am open to what ever Joel wants to do. He's doing all the work..I'm just the financer.

Jim
Now back to work Jim... no time for slacking, you have a smoker to pay for!

To be honest, I had put my overtime hours in before I bought seenred seenred first build... the hours of sitting in a combine give ya lots of time to think! Really good yields help as well!

Ryan

Red, I'm not sure Jim wants it but "please" build him a coal basket for the VC and a vent in the VC (door or chamber) so he can open fire grill and roast......

Just saying this could be Jim in the near future.....
View attachment 682715

PS nice design layout and love the plate lifter! Jim is going to get a very nice cooker!

That looks like a great setup!

Hey I'll put anything in it Jim wants. His pit - his money! He kinda already mentioned a water pan...I suppose there could be rails in the bottom that could hold either a water pan or a coal basket? Not sure, but it's interesting to think about...

Red

Oh civilsmoker civilsmoker ......You stirring the pot here! Of course the surf and turf pic dont help!

Jim

WHAT??? Pot stirring here? Never heard of such on these fine forums... :emoji_wink:

Congrats to you and high five for Red for being the enabler for many future awesome cooks!

I thank you, kind sir! And my wife appreciates Jim - a new project that'll keep me out of her hair! :emoji_sweat_smile:

I am so stoked. I am open to what ever Joel wants to do. He's doing all the work..I'm just the financer.

Jim

Hey I'm just as stoked Brother! And I'll take the reins and run with it - but like I've already told ya: anything you want on your pit, just let me know and we'll try to figure out a way to do it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now back to work Jim... no time for slacking, you have a smoker to pay for!

LMAO!!

Red

Thanks guys for joining in on the fun! I'm gonna have as much fun sharing the build as I do actually building it!

I got all the cut lay-outs done on the first plate today. That plate is ready for the plasma cutter - but I had to order new consumables for my plasma cutter...should be here Friday. Then I'll be ready to start cutting up some steel!

Red

Reactions: civilsmoker
That looks like a great setup!

Hey I'll put anything in it Jim wants. His pit - his money! He kinda already mentioned a water pan...I suppose there could be rails in the bottom that could hold either a water pan or a coal basket? Not sure, but it's interesting to think about...

Red
You just need two elements to make it a perfect coal/fire cooker based on my VC copper pot cooking experience. 1 - a coal rack and 2- an ash catcher. The simplest way is the have a coal rack that just sits in a "pan" (ie the water pan) that will act as the ash catcher. The other is a coal rack and ash catcher that have their own shelf. Shirly smokers use the first option, and this is the one that I would recommend because is very simple but very effective (also very easy to fab). Additionally, you don't really need to have a vent in the VC as the main fire box vent will let the air in too.

You got my interest peaked on a vertical offset.
If I'm hijacking, sorry not my intention, let me know and I'll start a new thread.
I like the idea of the vertical offset, more versitile, seems like more cooking space and a smaller footprint over a horizontal offset.
Obviously it's a bottom up smoker, how does the temps differ from top to bottom?
Since it's a bottom up smoker do you need to worry about the bottom of the meat getting scorched?

Dang, civilsmoker civilsmoker has got me to thinking...... seenred seenred would it be possible to incorporate that into the build? If its an easy thing to do of course.

Newglide Newglide no worries on the hijack....the footprint issue is exactly why I wanted to go with a vertical. And I'm learning this right along with you. Any questions you have I'm sure that I've got also. Heck, we'll learn together.

Jim

You got my interest peaked on a vertical offset.
If I'm hijacking, sorry not my intention, let me know and I'll start a new thread.
I like the idea of the vertical offset, more versitile, seems like more cooking space and a smaller footprint over a horizontal offset.
Obviously it's a bottom up smoker, how does the temps differ from top to bottom?
Since it's a bottom up smoker do you need to worry about the bottom of the meat getting scorched?

Hey brother, not hijacking at all, so no worries!

I've not actually cooked on one, so any knowledge I have on them is just from my reading/researching them. IMO, design is key. In any vertical cooker, there is gonna be some temp variation from top to bottom, but if you make use of a well-designed baffle plate, or a water pan set-up, you can control some of the issues you're talking about. And as with any stick burner design, the side of the meat that closer to the fire gets the more intense heat - so you do have to account for that in your cooking techniques (fat side toward fire, rotate meats periodically, etc.) which is no different than cooking on a horizontal offset.

I do like the concept of lots of cooking area in a smaller footprint!

Red

Dang, civilsmoker civilsmoker has got me to thinking...... seenred seenred would it be possible to incorporate that into the build? If its an easy thing to do of course.

I don't see why not! I'll start doing some thinking and planning on it! :emoji_thumbsup:

My immediate thinking is to run with the idea of using a pan that can double as a water pan and an ash pan...then fabricate a coal rack that you could set inside the pan for direct-coal cooking. Seems straightforward enough - as long as it doesn't screw up air flow, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks civilsmoker civilsmoker for the idea! Oh, and thanks for making more work for me LOL! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sweat_smile:

Red

Pics worth a few words....
VCC-Pan.jpg

VCC-Pan2.jpg

Ie the water pan needs to worry about air flow from the FB. If you just make up the tray and grate (separate from the water pan) above no need for air flow from the FB because the coals are above...only coal supply air is the need.

Ok I'll sit back and watch this come together.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky