MES 40 - for restaurant - Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 2.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

gen 1, 2, or 2.5

• GEN 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GEN 2

• GEN 2.5

• MES 30

• MES 40

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deuxcv

Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Hi sorry to have not done my homework but the amount info is a little overwhelming and it's a decision that needs to made pretty quick. It's for my restaurant, it's replacing a CookShack Smokette that just died. It doesn't get tons of use whick drew me to the MES line over more expensive commercial smokers and i love the versatility of all the hacks.

we will mostly hot smoke of salmon and pork shoulder but also do some cold smoke of cheese and experimenting with some sausages and salamis.

I have ordered an AMNS and AMPS for the various hacks.

my initial assessment is MES40, but is there a compelling reason to downsize to the 30?

then the followup question is if the price difference isn't #1 concern, is there an overall consensus as to which generation to buy?... GEN 1, 2, and if i'm absorbing info correctly, there's also a GEN 2.5?? is there a simple way to tell them apart, and is there a favorite dealer to buy it from?

Oye, now i see there is also a Bluetooth model. Or is that thee GEN 2.5. And that in Masterbuilt and Sportsman Elite? SO CONFUSING!!

thanks, and sorry again for not mucking though the reams of conversations that have already taken place around this topic.

Last edited:
and should i buy the Masterbuilt cold smoke add-on, or do the mailbox thing? does one do better with the AMNS/AMPS? is the mailbox hack a cost saving trick or functional benefit?

Gen 1 seems to be favored with the AMNPS in polls taken with no mods. The Gen 2.5 is new and some do well and some have difficulties. PM Bearcarver if you need to make a quick decision.
-Kurt

Gen 1 40" stainless steel with window is model 20070311. Do a search on Amazon and Academy Sports I believe for about $300 or less/more with free shipping.
-Kurt

Gen 1 seems to be favored with the AMNPS in polls taken with no mods. The Gen 2.5 is new and some do well and some have difficulties. PM Bearcarver if you need to make a quick decision.
-Kurt
My Gen 2.5 did very well when I used it last week with the 5 x 8 AMPS lit on both ends because I wanted heavier smoke. I had the Chip Dumper pulled out 2" with dump side turned down. I will be using my Gen 2.5 again tomorrow smoking baby back ribs with Jack Daniels Pellets in the 12" AMTS. 

My Gen 2.5 did very well when I used it last week with the 5 x 8 AMPS lit on both ends because I wanted heavier smoke. I had the Chip Dumper pulled out 2" with dump side turned down. I will be using my Gen 2.5 again tomorrow smoking baby back ribs with Jack Daniels Pellets in the 12" AMTS. 
Is this your second smoke in the 12" AMNPS tomorrow with JD pellets?
-Kurt

Is this your second smoke in the 12" AMNPS tomorrow with JD pellets?
-Kurt
First smoke with JD pellets was with the 5 x 8 MAZE lit on one end week before last I think it was.  When I used the 5 x 8 MAZE lit on both ends last week, I used Todds Pit Master Mix.

This time I will use the 12" tube to hopefully get more smoke. This will be the first time using the tube and second time using JD pellets.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky