Let's talk about the "B" word...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kinda like "Sweet Corn":

Many People say the "Best" Sweet Corn comes from their home state. So that would mean we would have 50 states with the Best Sweet Corn.

The thing that often settles the disagreement is when the Guy from New Jersey says "New Jersey" Sweet Corn is the best, and guys from PA, DE, NY, and MD agree with him!!

Bear

Some forums don't even let you use the word "best" and your thread will be taken down if you do use it. The reason given is that it starts too many arguments. Why? For all the reasons given by Cranky in his initial post in this thread: "best" is almost entirely in the eye of the beholder. This is true even in those instances where you might be able to quantify certain aspects of your point of view.

Kinda like "Sweet Corn":

Many People say the "Best" Sweet Corn comes from their home state. So that would mean we would have 50 states with the Best Sweet Corn.

The thing that often settles the disagreement is when the Guy from New Jersey says "New Jersey" Sweet Corn is the best, and guys from PA, DE, NY, and MD agree with him!!

Bear

Growing up in NJ and having lived in or visited a few other ststes, l can vouch for how good Jersey Corn is. Guess you have to have a certain level of Toxic Waste to bring out the sweetness.[emoji]128513[/emoji] But seriously it is very very good but l have had great sweet corn in PA as well. With central PA being a farming community more than 200 years, you can expect they learned how to grow great corn. I am sure there are a bunch of folks in Nebraska that would have to comment on who grows the Best Corn...JJ

Growing up in NJ and having lived in or visited a few other ststes, l can vouch for how good Jersey Corn is. Guess you have to have a certain level of Toxic Waste to bring out the sweetness.[emoji]128513[/emoji] But seriously it is very very good but l have had great sweet corn in PA as well. With central PA being a farming community more than 200 years, you can expect they learned how to grow great corn. I am sure there are a bunch of folks in Nebraska that would have to comment on who grows the Best Corn...JJ
Yup---Gotta read my post a little closer.

Bear

Very well said, It is amazing how many recipes and forums and Facebook posts I have seen stating that something is the best. It is such as subjective word. To be the best smoked meat is the barbecue I work hard and and make as perfect as I can.

That's very true.......I have a few that I would argue really are the best ever...like my mom's monster cookies, or my own beef stroganoff.

"Best" is perspective. You're exactly right...It depends on who you ask, EXCEPT my grandma's apple pie...It really is the best.
I'm of the opinion that Grandma's apple pie is the best, no matter who the Grandma in question is. As long as they bake it then it's the best. I know this because my Grandma's apple pie is the best.

I'm of the opinion that Grandma's apple pie is the best, no matter who the Grandma in question is. As long as they bake it then it's the best. I know this because my Grandma's apple pie is the best.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, my friend. My grandmother had no sense of smell and limited taste and couldn't cook anything worth eating, much less the "best" apple pie!

Cranky, I bet when it's not too windy to go fishing, you sweet talk those little water breathers onto your hook!  Well done! 
points1.png

I loved the post Cranky

One of the things I always use on this site and Google is when searching for any information I always inquire with best as the first word of the search. This also helps limit the sites and answers I need to go though to develop what I want to do. Examples best way to make..., best recipe for... ,best way to cook..., best way to change brake pads..., best way to replace transmission... you get it

Upon getting thousands of answers and sites to visit I go through the answers given and always come up with the best way that I want to do it . After doing the way I figured is best for me.

I then improve the process until I am happy with it. However I always seem to never satisfy myself  no matter how many times I make a recipe or a procedure it seems the next time I always think it can improved by changing one little thing at a time. Thus always growing and evolving. The wife thinks I'm crazy as she and the kids always tell me that it was the best they had or don't change a thing. Unfortunately it just is not my nature to settle for what it is -  always think it can be improved upon.

Last edited:
Great post. I've lived in the Midwest of Ohio (home state), the mountains of West by God Virginia, and now South Carolina. Believe it or not, everywhere is different, but that's what makes it awesome.

LOL I thought the "B" word meant "Burnt" when I first read the title!  I recently burnt a duck in my gas smoker, too tired and forgot the drip pan, 15 minutes into a hunting show I dozed off ... woke to the doorbell/curious neighbor. lots of bad smelling smoke and a very hot (was cold just a few minutes ago) beer.

charcoal duck anyone? 
help.gif

2 - 15 hour work days, a couple beers, TV, couch and a smoker does not mix. I guess this would classify as the "BEST" way Not to smoke a duck...

Loved the post Cranky!

Last edited:
It's all subjective. Everyone has an idea of the best way. Some happen to learn some magic. Others travel and eat a lot to discover it. Your mileage may vary.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky