Holey Mole Enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Mole! Mole! Mole! It's kind of a pain but worth it in the end.

I started with three large chicken breast placed in the smoker with Kinder's Garlic and Herb with my own blend of pepper powder. On the top rack were various hot and mild chilies along with tomatoes and tomatillos.

2024_holey_mole_001.jpg

The essentials.

2024_holey_mole_002.jpg

I de-seeded the dried Guajillo and New Mexico chili pods then put them in a bowl with 2 cups of boiling water and 1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon and let them sit for a couple hours.

2024_holey_mole_003.jpg

The chicken and peppers were done and let to sit and cool down a bit.

2024_holey_mole_004.jpg

2024_holey_mole_004a.jpg

2024_holey_mole_005.jpg

It was time to put the new food processor to work. The peppers (not all the ones I smoked), 2 cane sugar blocks, tomatoes, tomatillos a tortilla and toasted rolls.

While that was going on I placed the spices (peanuts, raisins, Star Anise, whole cloves, dried thyme, Anise seeds, cumin, allspice, cinnamon stick and 4 small garlic cloves chopped) into a pan and toasted a bit then poured in 2 cups of chicken broth and brought it to boil. It was then added to the blender.

Then it was poured back into the pot along with 2 Abuelita chocolate disks and slow simmered while I prepped the enchiladas.

I ripped up one of the large chicken breasts, chopped up Queso Fresco cheese and pulled out a bag of shredded medium cheddar cheese. P laced some of each between Sodoran style flour tortillas. Then they were covered in the mole sauce and more cheese.

2024_holey_mole_006.jpg

Then it was placed it the air fryer oven at 325* until the cheese on top was melted.

2024_holey_mole_007.jpg

I started with three large chicken breast placed in the smoker with Kinder's Garlic and Herb with my own blend of pepper powder. On the top rack were various hot and mild chilies along with tomatoes and tomatillos.

View attachment 694725

The essentials.

View attachment 694726

I de-seeded the dried Guajillo and New Mexico chili pods then put them in a bowl with 2 cups of boiling water and 1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon and let them sit for a couple hours.

View attachment 694727

View attachment 694728

View attachment 694733

View attachment 694729

It was time to put the new food processor to work. The peppers (not all the ones I smoked), 2 cane sugar blocks, tomatoes, tomatillos a tortilla and toasted rolls.

While that was going on I placed the spices (peanuts, raisins, Star Anise, whole cloves, dried thyme, Anise seeds, cumin, allspice, cinnamon stick and 4 small garlic cloves chopped) into a pan and toasted a bit then poured in 2 cups of chicken broth and brought it to boil. It was then added to the blender.

Then it was poured back into the pot along with 2 Abuelita chocolate disks and slow simmered while I prepped the enchiladas.

I ripped up one of the large chicken breasts, chopped up Queso Fresco cheese and pulled out a bag of shredded medium cheddar cheese. P laced some of each between Sodoran style flour tortillas. Then they were covered in the mole sauce and more cheese.

View attachment 694730

Then it was placed it the air fryer oven at 325* until the cheese on top was melted.

View attachment 694731
Man that looks awesome! Just yesterday I was kicking around the idea of trying to make a keto friendly mole sauce using a sugar alternative (erythritol) but then was like nahhh. This may inspire me to do it. We'll see though lol.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal

View attachment 694725

The essentials.

View attachment 694726

View attachment 694727

View attachment 694728

View attachment 694733

View attachment 694729

View attachment 694730

View attachment 694731
That looks kill'er, Chris.
I love Mole, but hate making it, so I cheat and buy the premade stuff in jars and jazz it up a bit normally.

I love that Abuelite Mexican chocolate, my favorite campfire drink while camping on the cold north coast is a spiked Abuelite Mexican hot chocolate with a shot of Tia Maria and a shot of Patrón extra Añejo, with a dark toasted marshmallow in it.

(Pro tip, add a small pinch of cinnamon over the marshmallow).

I had one in Zihuatanejo while I was down there fishing many yrs ago. And I have been hooked ever since, try one they are legit.

Dan.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky